|—Arcade Game to Pearl|
The Crystal Gems are walking along a cliff ledge of an underground cave in search of the Gem Cave Creature. The mission requires stealth but Steven's coat is making a loud "swishing" sound, much to Pearl's annoyance. She lectures Steven about wearing the noisy coat during a stealth mission. Steven tries to explain that he is wearing the coat to avoid catching a cold but, Pearl points out that he is still wearing sandals. Steven tries to avoid making any further noise but Amethyst mimics the sound of the coat's "swishing" causing Pearl to berate him again. Before Steven has a chance to explain, Steven falls from the edge of cliff but Garnet is there to catch him at the bottom. As she puts him down, the gem creature suddenly attacks them. Garnet is able to defeat the gem creature and collect its core but she allows the drill parasites to escape.
To celebrate their victory, Steven takes them to the Funland Arcade much to the other gems dismay. As Pearl struggles to come up with excuses not to go, Amethyst points out that they do not have any money at which point Steven opens his coat to reveal that he has pockets, full of quarters. He then pairs each gems to an arcade game. He attempts to get Pearl to play to racing game "Road Killer", but is unsuccessful because she does not understand the objective and is a cautious driver. He then tries to get Amethyst to play skee ball at which he is successful. However, Amethyst starts to cheat when she learns that she can exchange her tickets for prizes. Steven has the most difficulty with Garnet who breaks two fighting games due misunderstandings. However, she becomes entranced after Steven introduces her to the rhythm game, Meat Beat Mania, to the point that she doesn't hear Steven when he collects the other gems to leave after Mr. Smiley discovers his broken games.
The following morning, Steven is out on the beach looking for quarters with his metal detector when the drill parasites ambush him. He cries for help to which Amethyst and Pearl come to his aid but they are ineffective without Garnet's guidance, who is notably missing, and they are forced to retreat. While running across the pier, Steven realizes that they need Garnet and rushes back to the arcade while Amethyst and Pearl attempt to hold off the parasites. Inside the arcade, Steven finds that Garnet still playing Meat Beat Mania and is reaching levels that he has never seen before. He tries to get her attention and alert her to the danger outside but she does not seem to be listening. He climbs on top of her and tries to snap her out of her trance. In his haste, he removes Garnet's sunglasses to reveal that she not only has a third eye but it is intently focused on trying to keep up with the game's rhythm.
Steven tries to beat Garnet at the game, in hopes that she will snap out of it, but he ends up losing each time. He then tries to unplug the game but Garnet uses her powers to allow her to continue to play the game. In his frustration, Steven rips control panel out of its stand and uses it to smash the game's screen which ultimately releases the game's hold over her. Garnet thanks Steven then goes to join the other gems thus turning the tide of the battle. Steven attempts to leave the arcade he is caught by an infuriated Mr. Smiley who believes Steven was the one who has been destroying his games. Steven is then forced to work off the cost of the damaged games while the other gems fight the drill parasites.
- Road Killer
- Teens of Rage
- Meat Beat Mania
- Punch Buddy
- Skee Ball
- Onion's Moped (debut)
- Metal Mutt
- Turbo Race (debut)
- "Funland Arcade"
- "Road Killer"
- "Teens of Rage"
- "Meat Beat Mania: Over Easy"
- "Meat Beat Mania: FLAMBÉE!"
- Pearl knows how to drive, despite not owning a vehicle, or needing one.
- This episode reveals that certain rhythmic movement and activities that rely on reflexive action, such as Meat Beat Mania, can overstimulate Garnet's third eye and reduce her into a trance-like state.
- This is the second time that Steven has destroyed Funland property, the first being the tea cup ride in "Serious Steven", although both of those times were never meant with bad intentions.
- Funland Arcade has the same name as the arcade in The Amazing World of Gumball.
- Meat Beat Mania is a parody of the classic SEGA arcade game, Samba de Amigo.
- Teens of Rage is a tribute to the Sega Genesis game, Streets of Rage.
- Right before Teens of Rage's title pops up, a brief frame is seen displaying the Department of Justice's emblem with the phrase, "WINNERS DON'T USE DRUGS."
- This directly references the anti-drug campaign that was used in arcade machines in North America from 1989 to 2000.
- Meat Beat Mania is made by a company called Carpcom, which is a parody of the real game company called Capcom.
- Road Killer may be a parody of another classic Sega game, Crazy Taxi.
- Its BGM seems to be based on F-Zero's "Mute City" theme.
- This was the first time Garnet was seen without her shades.
- Garnet's heterochromia alludes to the fact that she is a fusion.
- This is the first episode with allusions to Garnet's precognitive abilities, which are explored in depth in "Future Vision".
- Steven mentions fighting a giant foot, and in "The Return", the Crystal Gems had to fight the Gem Warship, which has the shape of a giant hand.
- Pearl drives again (this time for real, and not in a game) in "Ocean Gem".
- This episode shows Onion winning a moped at the ticket counter, impressing Steven. It is later revealed that Onion gets tickets by opening the machines, as seen in "So Many Birthdays" and "Onion Trade".
- At first, Steven's jacket pockets are revealed to be full of coins, but when Steven was battling Garnet in a game of Meat Beat Mania, he only had a few coins left, although the Gems did not use many coins.
- When Pearl is asking Garnet if they have anything better to do, her eye briefly is open and closed.
- When Pearl is spinning her weapon at the temple, it briefly goes through her hair.
- When the numbers of Meat Beat Mania get closer to zero, the change of scene they begin again from ten.
- When Steven unplugged Meat Beat Mania, it was shown to be plugged in after that.
- At the end of the episode, the drumstick controllers disappear after Steven destroys the Meat Beat Mania game.
- In one part, Sapphire's gem's facet is on both of Garnet's gems.
View the episode's transcript here.