It's NOT okay! You keep saying that but YOU don't know what you're doing! Now we're going to suffocate or starve at the bottom of the ocean and only my parents will notice because no one else cares about me!
The episode begins with Steven walking out of the house with his bike. The view then pans the Gems discussing whether the seismic disturbances are earthquakes until they see Steven. The Gems are confused as to why he's riding a bike on the beach, but he walks off. He stops in front of a girl who's reading a book nearby. Steven then tries to impress the girl with his bike, but when he stumbles, he panics and retreats into the house to find the Gems were watching. Amethyst realizes that Steven likes the girl, and Pearl wants to set up a play date, but Garnet stops them by telling Steven to just talk to her. He agrees, but only if they do not watch next time, claiming that it will mess up his "funky flow". Steven grabs a glowing bracelet from the freezer and runs out. As Steven approaches the girl, practicing his greeting, a piece of the cliff crumbles and falls towards her. When Steven jumps to rescue her, his gem activates and encases both of them in a protective bubble that saves them at the last minute.
Steven introduces himself to the girl. She reveals herself as Connie, she thanks Steven, and asks if he can disable the bubble. He then realizes that he cannot disable the bubble. He says the Gems can help, but Steven and Connie are unable to roll up the hill. They go to the Big Donut to ask for help from Sadie and Lars. Sadie tries to break the bubble with a hammer while Lars makes fun of Steven for being trapped with Connie. Sadie tells Lars to quit being a jerk and they start arguing. Sadie then goes inside and attempts to smash the bubble with a chair, but that fails like the other attempts.
Connie and Steven later go to the pier and ask Onion to help them. Steven tries to ask Onion to use a Harpoon Gun to pop the bubble, but he can't hear him through the bubble or understand Steven's drawing. Connie writes backwards and Onion understands. Unfortunately, the harpoon bounces off the bubble and sinks a nearby trawler (boat). Steven and Connie then go to Funland because Steven wants to use a roller coaster to pop the bubble. Connie objects, but a tremor rolls them on the coaster's tracks. Instead of popping the bubble, the coaster launches the two into the ocean.
As they try to roll back to shore, a giant worm (a corrupted Orange Spodumene, which was causing the tremors earlier) appears, frightening Connie. Steven tells her it only wants to eat some nearby glowing seaweed. Spodumene then creates a trench which the kids fall into. Steven discovers he accidentally put his foot in Connie's face. He tries to apologize to her, but she finally explodes, frustrated that Steven does not know what he's doing and that she might die without ever making a friend.
Connie cries and Steven shows her the glow bracelet, telling her that they can be friends. He reveals that he saw her during a parade the year before but could not find her to give back the bracelet, so he kept it in case he met her again. Connie reveals she saw him last year too. As the two reconcile, the bubble finally bursts, and they make it to shore, but Spodumene follows them. Steven realizes Spodumene is chasing Connie because of her glow bracelet, so he takes and uses it to lure Spodumene to a nearby pier where he uses the pillars to trap and defeat her. The Gems show up and Garnet disposes of Spodumene's gemstone. When Pearl and Amethyst try to introduce themselves, Garnet stops them by telling them not to mess with Steven's "funky flow". Connie asks what "funky flow" is, and Steven gets embarrassed.
- Steven Universe
- Connie Maheswaran (debut)
- Lars Barriga
- Sadie Miller
- Orange Spodumene (debut, antagonist)
- Rose Quartz (mentioned)
- Greg Universe (flashback)
- Doug Maheswaran (mentioned)
- Dr. Priyanka Maheswaran (indirectly mentioned)
- "Connie" (piano demo)
- Connie is shown to be proficient at writing backwards.
- Despite containing mostly air, Steven's bubble sinks in water. This may because the bubble itself has considerable density and mass as evidenced in this episode and later episodes whenever it makes a sound when taking hits.
- This is the last episode to air in 2013.
- The book that Connie is reading is The Catcher in the Rye, a controversial book that was banned in many public American schools during the 1960's and 1970's.
- The episode takes the same name as the spongebob character "Bubble buddy"
- Connie's bracelet was first seen in the premiere episode "Gem Glow", inside Steven's freezer, behind the Cookie Cats.
- Connie's line, "He was incredible!" was later said again by Cloud Connie in "Rose's Room".
- Steven's phrase "Funky Flow" returns in the episode "Marble Madness".
- Connie would later wear her debut outfit again in "Fusion Cuisine" and "Full Disclosure".
- In "What's Your Problem?", Steven uses his bubble in the ocean while looking for Ruby with Amethyst, just like he did with Connie when he first met her in this episode.
- The rubble that was caused when a piece of the Temple's hair fell off disappeared when Steven and Connie tried to push the bubble for them to move around.
- Connie's skirt changes from minty green to a light yellow in the scene Steven shows off his bike, and then her skirt changes back to the original color.
- Connie's book vanishes in a cut to a wider shot when Steven starts to create the bubble, the book being neither inside nor outside the bubble after it forms.
- Steven places the glow bracelet on Connie's left arm. When they surface the water, the bracelet is seen on her right arm.
- When Garnet tells Steven that the Gems won't watch him interact with Connie, Sapphire's gem appears on Garnet's left hand instead of her right.
- When Steven tells Connie that he saw her drop her bracelet at the boardwalk parade the previous year, he only had four fingers .
View the episode's transcript here.