Sleep is a curse, and yet a curse I need to live.
The episode begins with Pearl and Amethyst on a raft in the middle of the ocean, with Amethyst holding Steven's legs while he is underwater. Upon not having any leads whatsoever about Malachite's whereabouts frustrated Pearl but snaps when Amethyst purposely asks whether she is tired. Steven begins to struggle for air, but Amethyst is confused about whether or not to pull Steven up, she decides to release Steven which leads him to resurface and gasp for air. Garnet emerges from the water, taking Steven along with her, and states that she did not find anything underwater. Pearl's irritation increases with their lack of progress, saying that it feels like "light years" and after Amethyst inaccurately corrects her, she continues being frustrated. When Steven prompts her to put on a life jacket, she accepts it, despite saying the life jacket is pointless but inflates it too much due to her frustration. Garnet explains that Malachite must be found as their fusion is a ticking time bomb. Despite the fact that Lapis is powerful enough to sustain her fusion with Jasper, their fusion is highly unstable and because it is bound by anger and mistrust, if that bond snaps, their anger will take over, and cause destruction. Steven falls asleep on the raft, prompting Garnet and the Gems to return home to let Steven rest. Steven wakes up and groggily denies that he needs to sleep, and offers to go fishing. He says the first to catch something wins. Almost sleepwalking, he walks off the raft, and Garnet catches him by the ankle, stating that she won.
At the Beach House, Pearl expresses her chagrin that they are not out at sea looking for Malachite. Garnet reminds her that Steven is not like the Gems and, like a human, needs rest.
Steven asks whether or not the Gems are tired, and Garnet answers that they "look awesome" despite all the Crystal Gems appearing visibly exhausted. Steven suggests a slumber party to help the Gems forget that Malachite is still somewhere and have them take a rest for a little while. Garnet orders the rest of the Crystal Gems to participate in the slumber party, against Pearl's will, then heading off to search for Malachite alone.
Steven begins the slumber party upstairs by offering Amethyst and Pearl a slumber pal each. After they both refuse, Amethyst immediately falls asleep, and Pearl, confused as to how to do so, attempts to fall asleep.
After several unsuccessful attempts, Steven shows Pearl how to rest but ends up falling asleep in the process. He then begins to dream, with him and Pearl in a black and white sitcom where everyone is human, with Pearl excitedly preparing Steven for his first school dance with Connie. Amethyst rolls down the stairs on a skateboard and Pearl chases Amethyst off-screen. The doorbell rings and Steven answers the door to see Garnet, who exclaims "Chille Tid!" (pronounced Chill-e teed!) Steven explains to Garnet that he will attend a dance party with Connie soon and as soon as the doorbell rings again, assumes that Connie is behind the door. When he opens the door, he sees Lapis, who appears in full color, water pouring from her hollowed eyes and mouth, and the set starts to change to that of Malachite's Realm.
Steven wakes up from the sudden nightmare with Pearl asking if he is all right. He begins to explain his dream to Pearl, who interrupts him by saying that none of what he is saying makes sense, as Lapis is under the ocean fused with Jasper. Steven discovers that Pearl has never had a dream, which she admits. He tries to explain what a dream is, but it is difficult because they are boring to listen to. He starts telling Pearl of one of his convoluted dreams of Lion being able to drive Greg's Van, which puts Pearl to sleep. Steven quickly falls asleep after her and begins to dream again.
In this dream, Steven is flying in the sky with a helicopter propeller on his back. Dogcopter appears and Steven asks for his autograph. Dogcopter meows and flies away at a tremendous speed. Pearl's head appears, which eats Steven, but quickly launches him fast enough to catch up. Amethyst, riding a whale, appears from the ocean and immediately changes Steven's dream. In the darkness, Lapis appears behind Steven, yelling his name. She asks him what he is doing there, and Steven claims that he is simply dreaming. Lapis denies that and tells him that she must concentrate. Steven wakes up to see Amethyst laughing. Steven is confused, but Amethyst points to the ceiling. Pearl is sleeping, with her dream being projected visually and with audio holographically onto the ceiling from her gemstone. She is ecstatic to spend time with Rose (while surfing on a slice of pizza). Rose then turns to face Pearl and has the face of Greg, who expresses gratitude to Pearl for fixing his van. Pearl is terrified and wakes up, visibly tired from the dream.
Steven tells Pearl that he had another dream about Lapis, and she exclaims that it is all right, implicitly denying her own dream. Steven claims that he was talking to Lapis, and Pearl says that he might be using his dreams to connect mentally with her. Steven tries to go back to sleep to find Lapis' whereabouts and falls asleep before Pearl begins explaining her dream to put him to sleep. Steven tries to lucid dream, but fails, navigating the remnants of his previous dreams. He then lands in a tuft of white hair. He assumes it is Lion's mane, before sinking into it. He eventually finds Malachite's Realm, with Lapis chained to the water. Surprised at his sudden reappearance, Lapis tells Steven that he must not distract her, for she must use all of her concentration to use the weight of the ocean to keep the fusion trapped beneath it. Her energy waning, Lapis sinks, and Jasper, also chained to the water, appears behind Steven.
When Jasper catches sights of Steven, she furiously crawls towards him but quickly sinks, with Lapis flying out of the water. Lapis could not stop concentrating even for a second and tells Steven not to look for her. Steven repeatedly offers help, but Lapis denies his offer, refusing to tell him where Malachite is. Malachite appears from the water, visibly fusing, and screams at Steven to leave.
Steven wakes up, terrified from his encounter. He tells Amethyst and Pearl that he did see Lapis, who is fused and is still in control, but was unsure of how much longer. Garnet arrives home and says that this is a strange slumber party. Steven hastily tells Garnet about some of his dreams. When he tries to tell her about Lapis, Garnet reassures Steven to relax, showing him and the Gems how a slumber party is really done. She falls face-down on the floor. The episode ends with Steven saying, "Garnet?" probably wondering if she is okay right after Pearl says, "That's pretty convincing". Garnet begins to snore.
- Steven Universe
- Malachite (Malachite's Realm/dream/message)
- Rose Quartz (dream)
- Dogcopter (dream)
- Greg Universe (dream)
- Connie Maheswaran (mentioned and pictured)
- Lion (mentioned)
- This episode was not hinted at in the StevenBomb's promo art. It was represented only by a question mark.
- The title "Chille Tid" translates roughly to "Chilling Time" in Danish and in Norwegian Bokmål.
- When Pearl complains that "We have been searching for light-years!", Amethyst remarks that "Light years measure light, not years.". Neither of these is true since light-years measure distance (the distance something travels in a year at the speed of light).
- When Dog-copter meows in Steven's dream, it may be a nod to Dog-copter 4, because in "Keep Beach City Spoiler Free", Ronaldo states Dog-Copter's parents were cats.
- In Steven's sitcom dream, the human version of Pearl is wearing an outfit similar to one of her early pre-pilot designs.
- When Steven is dreaming for the second time, Pearl shows up only as a head. When she turns her head to the side, however, it is the same image of Pearl that is shown on several of Cartoon Network's clothing items except with different coloring.
- In Steven's first dream, Steven, somewhat appropriately imagines Pearl, Amethyst, and Garnet as the mother figure, the older sibling figure, and as the cool relative figure, respectively.
- According to Jesse Zuke, the line, "It's always a Monday for Lapis!" said by Steven, ended up not making it into the final episode.
- Amethyst's catchphrase during the sitcom dream, "Bungacowa!", is a flipped version of the word "Cowabunga!" This is a common catchphrase in cartoons to express enthusiasm. It originated from Peanuts and was made popular by Michelangelo in the 1987 series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and by Bart Simpson from The Simpsons.
- Steven's first dream was in the style of old sitcoms.
- At the start of the dream, Greg narrates "Steven Universe was filmed before a live studio audience.", which is used in many sitcoms.
- Canned laughter was often used in the background.
- Except for Lapis Lazuli, everyone is in black & white and appears to be human.
- Pearl does not have her Gem, Garnet does not have her third eye, and her Gems are not visible, Amethyst's Gem is also not visible, and everyone is wearing old-fashioned, human-style clothes.
- Garnet, in the first dream, acts similar to Arthur Fonzarelli (also known as "The Fonz") on the 1970s TV comedy, Happy Days, complete with the title of the episode being similar to his typical greeting of "Aaay!" whenever he enters the scene.
- In the second dream, the way Steven is flying with a propeller on his back is a reference to the character, Karlsson from Karlsson on the Roof, a children's book series created by Swedish author Astrid Lindgren.
- After Pearl eats Steven and spits him out, the way Steven is flying with flames coming out of his feet resembles the way the titular character of the manga, Astro Boy flies.
- When Steven falls off the raft and is caught by Garnet, his pose resembles the signature pose of Cactuars from the game franchise Final Fantasy.
- The scene in the Malachite's Realm mirrors a segment from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, the Chain Necklace Deathmatch, in which two competitors are chained together and must fight for dominance over the other. Even the combatants match the ones in Jojo – Jasper as the large, muscled warrior (representing Tarkus) and Lapis as the smaller fighter (representing Jonathan). The main difference is that the chain connecting them seems to go underground, rather than into the ceiling as in Jojo.
- The way Pearl was holding Rose in her dream resembled how Jack Dawson held Rose DeWitt in the movie Titanic. Furthermore, both characters being held are named Rose.
- When Pearl gets frustrated that she has to wear a life vest, an anime-style anger mark appears on her head briefly.
- The shape that Lapis' water-wings take after they move over her torso, and the way that she appears to sink into the ground in Malachite's Realm, resembles the way the character Zetsu travels underground in the manga and anime Naruto.
- Malachite's realm looks very much like the white Door Of Truth realm from FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
- The phrase 'sleep with the fishes' when Steven says "Don't worry, Lapis, we won't let you sleep with the fishes." is taken from the famous Mafia movie The Godfather.
- Malachite is still at the bottom of the ocean.
- Steven learns the name of Lapis and Jasper's fusion. This is the first time the fusion's name has been explicitly mentioned in an episode.
- This is the second time Steven dreams about Dogcopter, the first being in "Lion 3: Straight to Video".
- When Steven wakes from his first nightmare (after the sitcom dream), Pearl appears to have been watching him sleep, much like in "Lion 3: Straight to Video".
- Amethyst says "Bungacowa!" during Steven's sitcom dream, which is similar to "Bowacunga!", one of her victory cries in Attack the Light, and later Sunstone's catchphrase in "Change Your Mind".
- In Pearl's dream/nightmare Greg-Rose thanked her for fixing "his" van. This was a callback the couple of times she has done so, for example in the episode "Reformed" as well as after it was wrecked during the events of "Ocean Gem".
- Pearl wanting to travel space with Rose without Greg resembled how she almost ran away with Steven against Greg's wishes in "Space Race".
- Pearl used the photokinesis ability that she used in "Keeping It Together" in this episode.
- This is not the first time that Steven displayed telepathic abilities. Previously, he was able to sense the Lighthouse Gem Monster's emotions in "Horror Club".
- When Garnet says "I'll show you how it's done.", the navy blue part of her clothing is missing.
- The same thing happens in this scene when Steven asks the Crystal Gems if they are tired.
- At the end of Steven's first dream, the door does not line up with the frame.
- During the Malachite's Realm scene, the triangle on Lapis' skirt disappears before she is dragged under the water.
- When Jasper (in Malachite's Realm) tries to catch Steven, the black lines of her skin's marks are un-erased, making it look like she is wearing gloves.
- When floating in the background in Steven's last dream, Garnet's skin color is confused with her shoe color on one leg.
- Steven's mouth briefly disappears while he was trying to tell Garnet about his dreams.
- When Garnet says "Steven, you're still awake!", her shoulder pads are blue.
- Jasper's reflection in Malachite's realm shows that her leggings are red instead of being a greenish color.
View the episode's transcript here.
https://twitter.com/mcburnett/status/634424769987743744dead link https://web.archive.org/web/20160412170940/https://twitter.com/mcburnett/status/634424769987743744