The show consists of various crying breakfast items. It is unknown why they cry so frequently or what the reasoning behind their sorrows may be.
- Sad Apple
- Sniffling Croissant
- Crying Pear
- Spilled Milk
- Sad Waffle
- Crying Egg (mentioned in Keep Beach City Weird)
- Weeping Egg Cup
- Pining Grapefruit (mentioned in Reformed)
- Sad Spoon
- Bawling Bacon
Greg and Amethyst have been shown to dislike the show. Both of them seem to be confused by Steven's love of the show, Amethyst even stating "Who wants to watch a show about people crying?" Greg, along with Pearl, also don't seem to understand it. Steven appears to enjoy it, owning stickers produced by the creators of the show, which he used to mark deactivated warps in "Space Race". Despite the Gems' and Greg's confusion, they still watch with Steven, and Steven does try to explain aspects to them.
A brief clip of the show appears on TV in this episode. It depicts a mural display of crying breakfast friends.
Steven identifies deactivated warp pads with Crystal Gems at the Galaxy Warp by placing Crying Breakfast stickers on them. Later on the show is played on Greg's TV by the car wash in which he says cartoons have changed in his day and he's starting to feel old.
Peridot flees the Galaxy Warp fearing the Sad Waffle sticker is a sign the site was invaded. She proceeds to take the sticker with her using it as evidence and then uses her Plug EMP to disable all her Flask Robonoids.
Steven is shown to be with a Sad Pear toy in the episode.
Peridot furiously shows the Crystal Gems the Sad Waffle sticker and questions if they were the ones who put it on the Homeworld warp, to which she gets no answer. It appears to of been used as evidence against them and she believes that this is their symbol of their alliance.
Steven tries to get the Crystal Gems and Greg to take a personality test relating to the Crying Breakfast Friends. Sniffling Croissant, Weeping Egg Cup, Pining Grapefruit, and Spilled Milk are mentioned by name, with some details on their characters.
Steven tries to watch the show multiple times with Garnet and Amethyst, but to his dismay Peridot's distress signal keeps interrupting the show.
- Crying Breakfast Friends! is a reference to Steven Universe, as many criticisms aimed at the show were before the complex plot began to surface, with older audiences stating to not understand the show.
- Following this, the Crying Breakfast Friends! characters are references to the Crystal Gems and other characters in the show:
- The Steven Universe crew released a model sheet which reveals that the breakfast friends were once planned to appear in "Gem Glow." These early friends included a spoon and a glass of milk, and only the apple was crying.
- Steven used the stickers at the Galaxy Warp to mark which Warp Pads aren't working during "Space Race".
- Peridot believed the Crystal Gems' symbol is Sad Waffle in "Warp Tour".
- On Ronaldo's blog Keep Beach City Weird, he rants about a crossover between the Crying Breakfast Friends and Inter-dimensional Family Friend.
- This is a fictional reference to the real world Steven Universe - Uncle Grandpa crossover, Ronaldo's reactions mirror those of many in the SU fanbase including the initial skepticism at its announcement and the events that occurred within the episode.
- The character, Inter-Dimensional Family Friend, is a reference to Uncle Grandpa.