The "Dove Self-Esteem Project" is a campaign created by Dove to help young people overcome body image issues and fulfill their potential by building positive body confidence and self-esteem. Dove and Cartoon Network collaborated to create a series of six advertisements using Steven Universe characters. An eBook titled Your Magic Mind and Body is included in this project.
"Dove Self-Esteem Project has been helping young people build positive body confidence since 2004. Now, the Dove Self-Esteem Project joins Cartoon Network to take on body confidence and self-esteem issues! And who better to teach us a few lessons than the Crystal Gems from Steven Universe?"
This article contains information on a subject that is not considered canon in Steven Universe.
Appearance Related Teasing and Bullying
Competing and Comparing Looks
"In our latest confidence-boosting adventure with Steven Universe, Smoky Quartz and Sardonyx chat about their totally different, but equally amazing, bodies – reminding us that we’re all beautiful and unique!"
We Deserve to Shine
"In this music video, the Crystal Gems, along with some friends, join to celebrate all bodies... because we all deserve to shine!"
| [Ruby] We're small but we're strong.|
[Sapphire] We're cool but we’re kind, and
[Garnet] we deserve to shine!
[Pearl] We're gritty and tough.
[Amethyst] We're smooth and refined, and
[Pearl and Amethyst] we deserve to shine!
[Steven] We'll figure it out.
[Connie] There's plenty of time
[Steven and Connie] for every body and every mind!
[Stevonnie] And every facet to finally find that
[Garnet, Stevonnie, Pearl and Amethyst] we deserve to shine!
We deserve to shine!
Behind the Scenes
"Everyone deserves to shine! Rebecca Sugar, creator of Steven Universe, and team give us a behind-the-scenes look at how they created the ALL NEW song 'We Deserve to Shine' as part of the Dove Self-Esteem Project!"
Media and Celebrities
"In our latest confidence-boosting adventure with Steven Universe, Peridot talks about how unrealistic and unrecognizable high profile people appear on the internet and social media in contrast to their unaltered and naturally flawed (but even more amazing!) real-life appearances— let’s appreciate our true form and embrace our unique characteristics instead of idolizing impossible standards of beauty!🌟"
"In our latest confidence-boosting adventure with Steven Universe, Pearl and Bismuth remind us that any talk about our appearance, negative or positive, might be hurtful and to celebrate the non-appearance attributes that make us unique!"
"Social media can be overwhelming and intimidating at times. You may start to compare yourself to others, and you'll notice that not everyone shows their true selves online. Stevonnie shows that YOU have the power. You can set boundaries, post authentic imagery, and use social media your way to create your own community and support system."
- Greg Universe (account name)
- Connie Maheswaran (account name)
- Kevin (account name)
"Human bodies have magical abilities to grow, eat, sleep, heal, and care for an ever-changing self. Gem fusions look amazing, but there's nothing more amazing than humanity!"
Which Crystal Gem Are You?
Which Crystal Gem Are You? is a personality quiz hosted by Cartoon Network and Dove for the Dove Self-Esteem Project. You answer 10 different questions and are given a Gem/personality description. The quiz can be taken here.
What pet would you have?
Choose a Gem power:
- Weapon summoning
Choose one these foods:
- French fries
Which music do you like best?
- R & B
Which hobby best suits you?
- Watching your favorite show
- Arts & Crafts
Which resident of Beach City would be your best friend?
Which of these Gems are your favorite character?
Choose an emoji:
Which Steven Universe song is your favorite?
Which traits are most like you?
- Bold, fun
- Cool, confident
- Intuitive, emotional
- Strong, assertive
Where would you go on vacation?
- Amusement park
- Art museum
- Beach weekend
- Summer camp
Where would you want to live?
- By the beach
- In the city
- Out in nature
- In a big house with friends
What do you look for in a friend?
- Someone honest
- Someone kind
- Someone loyal
- Someone who is different
What's your favorite season?
How would you help a friend with a problem?
- Offer possible solutions
- Listen patiently while they vent
- Give them their space
- Crack jokes until they feel better
|You are a strong and confident leader, but you're also a kid at heart. You love having fun and cracking jokes with your friends. You're the best at bringing people together - both to celebrate the joy in life and offer help to anyone who needs it. You're a strong and loyal friend, and you're always making new friends!|
|Just like this powerful fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, you're cool, confident, and sometimes mysterious. You're not afraid to be a leader and you'll speak up when you really believe in something. You can be calm and collected, but you are also very passionate. You usually trust your gut instincts and are quick to act on them!|
|You're always a fun person to be around, especially when people need cheering up! You're perfectly happy just chilling with your friends or going on big exciting adventures. You are a free spirit, and even though it may have taken awhile - you're confident and happy with the person you are.|
|You've got a brilliant mind for organization and reason, and an emotional and caring heart. You are very devoted to your friends, and can be incredibly brave and daring. You pour your whole heart into everything you do, and you often get amazing results!|
|You have a very feisty and intelligent personality. Your passion and smarts can make you quick to anger, but your open heart and blunt honesty makes you a really great friend! You love learning as much as you can about something, binge-watching your favorite show, and expressing yourself through art. Your laughter is infectious!|
|You're mysterious and sometimes hard to read, but you have a very commanding personality. You want to be closer to your friends, but sometimes your secrets keep them at a distance. You are very protective of nature and are always championing your cause. When you talk, people are drawn to you - you have a great presence!|
|You are the incredible fusion of Steven and Connie - you are the epitome of friendship! You are intelligent and quick-thinking, with a spirit for adventure. Like Stevonnie, you can get a little overwhelmed, but you're able to keep it together through some tough times. You're a supportive friend and a lot of fun to be around!|
|You're the elegant fusion of Amethyst and Pearl! You always do your own thing, and you don't need to surround yourself with others to be happy. You are playful but determined, sharp-minded but laid-back. You have lots of balance in your life, which keeps you a pretty chill person.|
|You're the awesome fusion of Garnet and Amethyst! You've got Garnet's strength and confidence, along with Amethyst's sense of humor! You like taking risks and having fun. You have a big personality and you're happy to be yourself no matter what. You have great inner strength!|
|You are the energetic fusion of Steven and Amethyst - you're the life of the party! You always spring into action to help your friends, and you've always got a great pun on hand for any occasion. Sometimes you can be a little too hard on yourself, but you always work through it because you're totally awesome!|
Your Magic Mind and Body
Your Magic Mind and Body is a customizable eBook hosted by Cartoon Network and Dove for the Dove Self-Esteem Project. The story can be read and downloaded here.
- Steven Universe
- Connie Maheswaran
- Sadie Miller
- Doug Maheswaran
- Dr. Priyanka Maheswaran
- Smoky Quartz
- It is revealed in "Competing and Comparing Looks" that Sardonyx is 20 feet tall.
- In "Social Media", it acknowledges that Stevonnie is "an experience" and an intersex/non-binary individual who uses "they/them" pronouns.
- Stevonnie's social media page in "Social Media" shows images/videos from various episodes including: "Beach City Drift", "Alone Together", "Mindful Education", "Jungle Moon", and "Gem Karaoke".
- The characters' usernames in "Social Media" have a few references:
- Garnet's social media username is "OGRupphireFan". This a reference to the ship name for Ruby and Sapphire used by the fandom.
- Pearl's social media username is "R3n3gad3P3arl", a reference to her status as a traitor to the Gem Homeworld. She was referred to as a "terrifying renegade Pearl" in "The Answer".
- Greg's social media username is "Guitar_DoD", a reference to "Shirt Club".
- Amethyst's social media username is "Amethyst8XM", a reference to her serial facet number as revealed in "That Will Be All".
- The version of "Social Media" posted by Cartoon Network on Twitter is a version shortened by 30 seconds, leaving out the part where Stevonnie shows they reblogged/posted a post about Intersex, and admits to not actually using social media.
- Stevonnie's social media page is a parody of Instagram.
We Deserve to Shine
- Both Ruby's and Sapphire's gemstones are missing in "We Deserve To Shine", although they are present on Garnet.
- When Steven and Connie fuse in "We Deserve To Shine", Steven's Ukulele disappears.
- In "We Deserve To Shine" Stevonnie's gemstone has the wrong number of facets, resembling more like a Carnelian gemstone, rather than a Rose Quartz Gemstone.
- In "Social Media", when Stevonnie picks up the tablet, they pick it up upside down. However, the camera on the other side is placed where it would be if they picked it up right side up.
- In "Social Media" Stevonnie's gemstone has the same error as in "We Deserve to Shine", where it resembles more of a Carnelian gemstone, rather than a Rose Quartz Gemstone.