"The Classroom Gems: Fusion" (referred to as "The Classroom Gems: Special Lesson" in the title card) is a Classroom Gems short.
The episode starts with Garnet punching the title card and yells that she's going to teach the viewers about fusion, thus unfusing into Ruby and Sapphire. Next, Pearl explains about fusion, while the four perform separate fusion dances: Ruby and Sapphire fuse back into Garnet, and Pearl and Amethyst fuse into Opal. Garnet explains further, as Opal loses her balance and unfuses back to Pearl and Amethyst. An irked Pearl berates Amethyst for not collaborating, but Amethyst retorts, doubting Pearl's collaboration. Garnet then shows a clip of the several fusions throughout the show, including Sugilite and Stevonnie. Steven interrupts with a question asking what the main purpose of fusion is. With Garnet's prompt, the Crystal Gems subsequently fuse into Alexandrite, pose, and answer with "Love!" The episode ends with a title card saying "Class Dismissed".
- Opal (non-speaking cameo and on-screen)
- Ruby (non-speaking cameo)
- Sapphire (non-speaking cameo)
- Alexandrite (cameo and on-screen)
- Sugilite (on-screen)
- Stevonnie (on-screen)
- Greg Universe (on-screen)
- Chalk Board
- Dance Studio
- Neither Opal nor Alexandrite have their new regeneration outfits, despite Amethyst and Garnet already having reformed.
- This could be intentional to avoid spoilers.
- When the 3 Gems fuse into Alexandrite, she makes a pose with a background similar to that of the Powerpuff Girls franchise, where a pulsating heart background is seen with the girls posing at the end of each episode.
- The short, as well as "How Are Gems Made?" and "What Are Gems?", is a homage to the Gunbuster OVA called "Science Lessons".
- While Garnet is fusing, Ruby and Sapphire's gems switch.
- Despite all the Gems appearing to look "chibi", Steven is the only Gem who didn't retain this appearance from the previous lessons.
- When Amethyst and Pearl fuse into Opal, despite having their new regenerated forms, she has her debut outfit.
- The same error appears when the Gems fuse in Alexandrite.
View the episode's transcript here.