She is a fusion of Ruby and Sapphire, and is considered the current, de-facto leader of the Crystal Gems. Along with her team, Garnet is one of the last surviving Gems on Earth who rebelled against the Gem Homeworld to stop their invasion of the planet. After the war, Garnet helped protect the Earth over the next 5,000 years. After Rose Quartz gave birth to Steven and lost her physical form, Garnet began to mentor Steven and help train him on how to use his powers.
Garnet is definitely the leader of the team. She is totally in control of everything everyone does.
Though she's often the most stable member and a mentor for Steven, Garnet tends to act on intuition rather than seriously analyze a situation. For the most part, this works out well, but it has lead to some disastrous outcomes. She loses her usual stoic demeanor when Steven began rapidly aging in "So Many Birthdays" and starts violently shaking him, she makes a reckless decision of fusing with Amethyst to form Sugilite in "Coach Steven", and creates an overly-exaggerated story while speaking to Connie's mother over the phone in "Fusion Cuisine".
While mostly level-headed, she occasionally demonstrates a fierce competitive spirit. This is best seen while playing volleyball, Steven Tag, and arcade games.
As the de facto leader, Garnet is often the peacemaker of the Crystal Gems, especially when Pearl and Amethyst start arguing. She demands utmost respect from the Crystal Gems, and is not hesitant to gain an attitude if the team members refuse to follow an order. The other Crystal Gems have even shown some fear towards Garnet because of her potential reactions to unwanted activity, as shown in "Secret Team."
The defusion and eventual refusion of Ruby and Sapphire in The Return/Jail Break appears to have had an impact on Garnet's personality; in consequent episodes she appears a lot more outspoken, lively and engaging. In "Jail Break", she shows a lot of emotion when reunited with Steven and in her fight with Jasper. She is later shown cracking a joke at Lapis Lazuli and Jasper's expense in the end. In "Full Disclosure", she is the only one who gives Steven any actual advice on how to deal with the situation ("Steven needs to see his friends and his father") and in "Joy Ride" she speaks the most out of the three. This is is a huge contrast with pre-regeneration Garnet, who rarely spoke or interacted with anyone outside of the Crystal Gems.
Garnet is the tallest of the remaining Crystal Gems, but one of the shortest fusions. She stands at about seven feet, and is the most muscular gem of the group. Her right eye is a bright ruby-red, and her left is a bright sapphire-blue, while the center third eye is a reddish violet. Her gemstones are embedded in her palms. Garnet also appears to blush dark red as shown in the episode "Story for Steven".
She had dark, pinkish-brown skin, and curly, soft, black hair styled into a cube-shaped afro. She almost always wore triangular futuristic orange tinged shades, which cover all three of her eyes. She wore a black and crimson bodysuit, with cubic shoulder pads (the right one being magenta, the left one being crimson), and a pink star with a magenta outline on her chest. She also wore long black gloves that covered her middle fingers.
As of "Jail Break," Garnet still wears the same bodysuit, but with a different color scheme and pattern. As opposed to crimson and black, her bodysuit is now multiple colors. Her right half is covered in a vivid blue-violet stocking, and her left is covered in a deep orchid/eggplant stocking. Her skin tone is even different, now being cerise rather than pinkish-brown. Her weapons are still mostly red, but with a more cerise shade, however there is a ring of black on the outside closest to her arms, and the glowing aura that appears when summoning them is now pale magenta. Instead of a star on the end facing her arms, they are now just orange. The star's color also changed- instead of a pink star with a magenta outline, it is now an amaranth star with a soft pink outline. Her hair is now also no longer black, but rather a very dark heliotrope and also is shorter and generally smaller than before. Her shades are also now a soft pink and blue color, instead of pale orange, and different light sources cause different colors to reflect off of them. Her shoulder pads are also an oval-like style, instead of cubes and both are a dark orchid/eggplant color as well as her arms and gloves.
|Her skin had a more reddish tint. She had straight black hair, wore maroon shades, a bodysuit colored purplish-red on the top, and grey and black on the legs. The star also wasn't present in the chest area, it was an upside-down triangle colored maroon and magenta. The star was instead a connection to her sash. She had more circular cubic shoulder pads and wore pale-red pumps with gold stripes around them. Her gauntlet weapons were smaller and golden colored, resembling armor.||"Pilot"|
|Garnet wears Steven's Birthday Suit.||"So Many Birthdays"|
|Garnet wears a two-piece with a dark red top, with a pink outline and a red-striped black slant skirt that stops slightly above her knees.||"Beach Party"|
|Garnet wears large pants with a plaid design. It previously belonged to Greg Universe.||"Rose's Room"|
|Garnet wears a greenish-grey jacket. On the back of the jacket is a guitar along with the written words "Cool Dad". It previously belonged to Greg Universe. It was intended to be thrown away but Steven gave it to Garnet instead.||"Maximum Capacity"|
|She wears a red tunic with a light pink lightning stripe through it and hot pink shoulders with leggings that reach up to her abdomen, the leggings are solid black and every beneath it is hot pink shoes. Her shades are white and red, resembling her pre-regeneration shades, albeit they are rounded rather than pointed. Her coloration is similar to pre-regeneration Garnet in nighttime lighting.||"Story for Steven"|
|Giant Hands||"Steven and the Stevens"|
|Steven||"Keep Beach City Weird"|
No one can see the future. I can see options and trajectories. Time is like a river...that splits into creeks, or pools into lakes, or careens down waterfalls. I have the map, and I steer the ship.
|—Garnet explaining her future vision.|
Like all Gems, Garnet can shape-shift, fuse, summon a weapon, and retreat to her gemstone(s).
She appears to have telekinetic abilities. Garnet can fuse with Amethyst to form Sugilite, and fuse with Pearl and Amethyst to form Alexandrite, but her fusion with only Pearl is yet to be seen. In addition, she seems to have extreme tolerance towards pain, as shown in "So Many Birthdays." Garnet currently has the most unique abilities out of all the Crystal Gems. This is explained and justified due to the fact that she is a fusion of two gems. Out of all of the Crystal Gems, it is clear that Garnet is the strongest physically, but just how strong is currently unknown.
- Gauntlet Proficiency: When channeling the collective power of the universe through her gem, Garnet is able to summon her gem weapon, a pair of red gauntlets. Garnet is highly proficient when using her gauntlets as well as being extremely skilled in hand to hand combat. She is able to deal massive strikes that can easily shatter the earth and deliver swift blows with lightning speed. This is due to her being a fusion.
- Rocket Gauntlets: Garnet takes aim with her gauntlets and shoots them as projectiles, as seen in "Watermelon Steven." As shown in "Reformed," Garnet's hands are detached from her body after she uses Rocket Gauntlets, and her gems are moved to the stubs of her arms.
- Weapon Size Augmentation: In "Warp Tour," Garnet is able to increase the size of her gauntlets, easily quadrupling their size, and deal increased damage at the cost of reduced speed. This was also hinted during "Garnet's Universe" and could also suggest that Steven knew about it before its proper debut.
- Future Vision: Garnet can see multiple future outcomes and probabilities with her third eye, as revealed in "Future Vision." This includes extremely unlikely and ridiculous outcomes, as a considerable amount of her available visions depict Steven's (and possibly other individuals') demise at the hands of mundane tasks or objects on a regular basis. The ability does take some time to use as she has been shown in a thinking position when activating it. During that time someone can alter the future as seen in "Marble Madness" when Steven ruined the plan to learn about Peridot by going up to her while Garnet was still using Future Vision.
- She may get this power from Sapphire, based on the fact that she is a fusion and Sapphire was able to locate Ruby in a matter of seconds.
- Temporary Power Transfer: In "Winter Forecast" and "Jail Break," it is revealed that she can temporarily pass on her future vision ability to others through lip contact.
- Invulnerability: While not outright invincible, it is shown that Garnet is the most physically durable of the Gems. She endures all sorts of different levels of damage from falling cars to fighting Jasper and various other forms of physical force.
- Heat Resistance: Her invulnerability is most commonly displayed in her extreme resistance to heat, from when she had scalding-hot coffee splash onto her without flinching in "Future Vision" to when she left to retrieve the Earth Beetle (which required her to swim in active lava) In "Giant Woman."
- Electrokinesis: Garnet can manipulate and generate electricity, as shown in "Arcade Mania" when she produced electricity in order to power up the Meat Beat Mania game and again in "The Message" when she jump starts Greg's van. She was even able to deflect a bolt of lightning with her bare, ungloved hand in "Future Vision." She has been shown to use this ability to release an electromagnetic repulsion to dry herself off, as seen with coffee in "Future Vision" and water in "Love Letters."
- Structural Sensation: In "Cheeseburger Backpack," it is stated that she is able to sense structural integrity.
- It is currently unknown whether this is a unique power, a separate portion of her heightened senses like her future vision or just a simple observation.
That's a lie, your middle name is cutie pie.
|—Garnet in "Future Vision"|
Steven respects Garnet as a leader and a responsible motherly figure. In return, Garnet tends to have more faith in Steven's plans and ideas than Amethyst and Pearl. She also protects him from their antics and bickering. She rarely gets mad at Steven, unless he disobeys an order. It is clear that Garnet holds a high amount of trust in Steven and his judgement, listening to his ideas in "Cheeseburger Backpack" and "Marble Madness". This trust is mostly displayed in "Future Vision", her future vision always provides various ways on how Steven could get hurt while trusting Steven to live while making the right choices on his own.
Shut down by the G-Squad!
While Amethyst is seen to chafe at being told what to do, she will follow orders from Garnet. This shows that Amethyst respects Garnet's leadership abilities and judgment, even so far as referring to her as "the boss". Garnet has also been shown to be much more willing to play along with Amethyst's jokes than Pearl. However, in "Reformed", it is shown that when the situation is serious, Garnet doesn't joke around with Amethyst.
Like Amethyst and Steven, Pearl respects Garnet's leadership abilities. While she is occasionally patronizing and condescending to the other Gems, Pearl treats Garnet as an equal.
"Go ahead and try to hit me if you're able. Can't you see that my relationship is stable? I can see you hate the way we intermingle. But I think you're just mad 'cause you're single."
"I am their fury, I am their patience, I am a conversation. I am made O-o-o-o-of Lo-o-o-o-ove. (of Love)"
|—Garnet, during the song Stronger Than You|
"We're gonna stay like this forever." implies that Ruby and Sapphire wish to remain forever fused, due to their deep feelings for each other.
Garnet represents the close intimate/love-bond shared between Ruby and Sapphire and is the physical embodiment of their love. It was confirmed by Writer/Storyboard Artist Joe Johnston, via his tumblr, that Garnet being such a strong fusion of Ruby and Sapphire is meant to reinforce the romantic affections they have for one another. The song "Stronger Than You" also reinforces the romantic nature of their relationship.
When she first met Greg, she treated him as an intruder in the temple and intended to evict him by force, intimidating him whenever she could. While not being openly opposed to or in favor of Greg, she does admit that Steven should be in contact with him. In "Ocean Gem," it is revealed that she does not like his music, comedically flinging herself out of the van as soon as he started playing one of his CDs. Since "The Message", Garnet has begun to put more trust in Greg and respect him as Steven's father.
When Jamie first met her, he felt incredibly enamored while Garnet, being a relationship, was not interested. Despite this, after hurting Jamie's feelings, she encouraged him to take up local theater as she felt he was such a good actor he fooled himself into thinking he was truly in love with Garnet.
See Garnet's Quotes.
- Garnet is rarely seen consuming food or drinking, much like Pearl. This is probably not out of disgust (as with Pearl), but simply because Gems don't need to eat/drink and has no practical reason to do so.
- Garnet is the second shortest fusion so far, behind Stevonnie.
- Garnet is the first fusion to appear on-screen.
- Garnet has had the most screen-time of any fusion.
- Garnet is the second Gem whose body has been critically injured. The first was Pearl, who was impaled by Holo-Pearl's sword.
- Garnet is the third Gem to undergo a visual change after regenerating, or in Garnet's case, re-fusing, the first being Pearl and the second being Opal.
- Garnet is the first regenerated Gem to have the pattern on her weapon change.
- Garnet has sung the longest song in the series.
- She is the only fully stable fusion, being able to maintain fusion for possibly thousands of years. This could be because of the close romantic relationship between the two original Gems.
- She is the first fusion without extra limbs (similar to Stevonnie).
- "Frybo" is the first episode that neither Garnet nor Amethyst appeared in.
- Garnet wears shades to conceal her third eye.
- Garnet has complete Heterochromia iridum, which means each of her eyes are a different color. The left eye navy-blue (representing Sapphire), and the right eye dark-red (representing Ruby), the top eye being purple.
- Purple is a combination of red and blue, which represents Ruby and Sapphire.
- Garnet believes that violence can solve most things, as shown when she tried to help a rapidly aging Steven in "So Many Birthdays" by shaking him violently.
- Garnet, who is normally the most stoic of the Crystal Gems, gets emotional for the first time in "So Many Birthdays".
- Garnet is seen shapeshifting for the first time in "Steven and the Stevens."
- In "Steven and the Stevens," it is shown that Garnet knows how to play the keytar.
- Garnet seems to be very intolerant to arguing. In "An Indirect Kiss", she launched a rock through thick bramble when Pearl's overexertion caused her and Amethyst to argue.
- In "Fusion Cuisine", Garnet aggressively hits Pearl and Amethyst with her gauntlets after they argue once again.
- According to Rebecca Sugar, Garnet's fighting and dancing style is based off of Waacking. 
- Garnet's favorite music is the works of Estelle according to Rebecca Sugar, appropriate considering she is her voice actress.
- According to Ian Jones-Quartey, Rebecca Sugar planned Garnet to be a fusion long before the Pilot episode, which also includes the fact that Ruby and Sapphire would be the two Gems to make her.
- Several hints were given to show that Garnet was a fusion:
- During the Crystal Gems' introductions in the Pilot, Garnet had chunks of ruby and sapphire gemstones laying around her.
- Also, during the Pilot, the original design of the Crystal Temple had ruby and sapphire gemstones on its hands.
- During the intro, Garnet has two shooting stars on her title card, while Pearl and Amethyst each have one.
- During the scene where Alexandrite breaks up in "Fusion Cuisine", Garnet's silhouette is shaped as two individual Gems (Ruby and Sapphire), while Pearl and Amethyst have normal matching silhouettes.
- Garnet's door involves two active lights, red and blue, unlike the other members of the Crystal Gems who only have one active light each. The red light is for Ruby, while the blue light is for Sapphire.
- During "Alone Together", Garnet is extremely pleased when seeing Stevonnie for the first time.
- During the same episode Pearl and Amethyst both remark that "Fusion isn't easy, even for us," to which Garnet adds "Not for me."
- During the Crystal Gems' introductions in the Pilot, Garnet had chunks of ruby and sapphire gemstones laying around her.
- As she stated in "Love Letters", Garnet does not believe in love at first sight.
- Garnet is the traditional birthstone for January, the zodiacal stone for Aquarius and the second anniversary stone.
- In gemstone mythology, garnets are known as stones that provide protection to their users from evil.
- Garnets are gemstones associated with strength, bravery, love, determination and self-confidence, all characteristics that fit in with Garnet's personality.
- Garnet is available in a veritable plethora of colors, such as yellow, orange, peach, green, red, purple, blue (rare), brown and pink.
- However, the most commonly occurring color is red and the rarest is blue.
- Garnet is not a single mineral, but a group containing closely related, isomorphous minerals that form a series with each other.
|Sapphire's gemstone on Garnet; it has a triangular facet.|
|Ruby's gemstone on Garnet; it has a square facet.|
- ↑ http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e4gmx/i_am_rebecca_sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjw0k1z?context=3
- ↑ http://ianjq.tumblr.com/post/113530028684/did-you-always-mean-for-garnet-to-be-a-fusion-or
- ↑ http://ianjq.tumblr.com/post/113638945474/what-were-some-other-hints-of-garnet-being-a
- ↑ http://www.minerals.net/mineral/garnet.aspx