Function and Use
The Crystal Gems primarily use Gem bubbles to contain the gems of corrupted Gem Monsters, which are then teleported back to The Burning Room in the Crystal Temple. Steven first demonstrated the ability to bubble objects (and to teleport bubbled objects back to the Crystal Temple) in "Monster Buddies".
Bubbling prevents a Gem Monster from regenerating after it retreats to it's gem, trapping it indefinitely. However, bubbles typically appear to be fairly fragile, as Steven has popped them from inside and outside. In "Together Breakfast", Garnet had difficulty containing the smoke monster from the Evil Spirit Scroll, which quickly escaped once she was distracted. Nevertheless, they seem to be a stable and secure form of containment as long as they're not disturbed. Bubble color usually syncs with the gem who made it. Garnet's bubbles are red, Pearl's are yellow, Steven's are pink, and Amethyst's are purple.
- Steven can create a durable bubble shield, which seems to combine his bubbling and shield summoning abilities. This was proven in the episode "Bubble Buddies".
- When Peridot summons her escape pod in "Jail Break", she is surrounded by a green bubble and then sinks into the floor.
- Opal has demonstrated the ability to quickly bubble large numbers of defeated gem monsters with her explosive arrows.
- It appears that active Gems can be bubbled too, as Steven was bubbled in "Monster Buddies".
- In the same episode, it is also shown that non-gem items can be bubbled, as Steven bubbled a bag of Chaaaaps.
- Jasper, Lapis Lazuli, Peridot, Sardonyx, and other fusions have not been shown bubbling gems. Amethyst has only been seen bubbling gems while fused as Opal. Ruby and Sapphire have only bubbled gems as Garnet.
- Additionally, Rose has never been seen bubbling a gem, however, many of her bubbles have been shown to exist.
- Some bubbles with shades of purple can be seen on the background, indicating that either Amethyst or Sugilite may have bubbled some gems off screen.
- It is currently unknown if all Gems have the ability to bubble.
- The only gem monsters that were fought but have not been seen bubbled were the Tardigrade Gem Monster, The Slinker, and Watermelon Tourmaline.
Known Bubbled Gems
- Steven Universe (temporarily)
- Centipeetle Mother
- Gem Shards
- Pyramid Temple
- Desert Glass
- Gem Cave Creature
- Big Bird Gems
- Heaven Beetle and Earth Beetle
- Ice Monster
- Invisible Gem Monster
- Unknown Orange Gem
- Unknown Bubbled Object
- Lighthouse Gem Monster
- Crab Gem Monster
- The Cluster
- Other Unknown Gems' gemstones (in the background of the Burning Room).