|This article is about the Gem Destabilizer. You may be looking for the Gem Rejuvenator.|
A Gem Destabilizer is a Gem Weapon designed to dissipate a Gem's physical form. The yellow Destabilizer appears to have been modeled on Yellow Diamond's power to generate a lightning bolt-current that paralyzes and poofs Gems.
The yellow Destabilizer resembles a goldish-brown arrowhead-tipped tuning fork with a pale yellow oval-shaped orb suspended between the tips. It gives off streams of static energy between the orb and hilt.
The blue Destabilizer has a shape similar to its yellow counterpart though the shape leading up to the end is smoother. The blue Destabilizer has no electric charge but instead contains a blue orb at the end. It is unknown if the effects are any different compared to the yellow Destabilizer as it was not shown being used.
Destabilizers essentially dissolve a Gem's body in contact with the operational end. Lines of yellow energy course through a Gem's body, sometimes dismembering their physical form upon contact and release, therefore, forcing the Gem's consciousness to retreat into their gemstone. This process will disrupt even the most stable Fusion Gems. The containment fields of the prison cells first seen aboard the Gem Warship utilize a similar effect by destabilizing any part of a Gem's physical form that comes into contact with them.
While older Gem weapons employ brutal force from which a Gem may require days or weeks to recover a Destabilizer will merely knock a Gem out of commission for a short period, perhaps only a few hours. This is still sufficient time to collect and imprison the inactive gemstone making it arguably more efficient than the original method of poofing and bubbling.
The Destabilizers and containment fields have proven to be ineffective against the half-Gem, half-human Steven Universe. Subjection to either device results in him being slightly shocked and colored lines appearing on his skin; this is due to his body being organic and not made of light as stated by Pearl and Garnet.
This episode marks a Gem Destabilizer’s first appearance, being wielded by Jasper to be used on the Crystal Gems.
Jasper uses her Gem Destabilizer against Garnet in their heated fight, having it be stolen and snapped in half by Garnet, rendering it useless. Another one is found and attempted to be used by Peridot, only for Steven to deactivate it and protect the Crystal Gems.
Jasper wielding a Gem Destabilizer is briefly seen during Steven’s flashback.
Several Gem Destabilizers are seen throughout the episode, with Aquamarine planning to use one on Topaz, only to have it stolen by Topaz herself. After being threatened, she drops the Gem Destabilizer, with it not being used at all.
During Garnet’s flashback to the Gem War, a silhouette of Pink Diamond is seen holding two Gem Destabilizers.
- Because Jasper and Peridot have yellow Destabilizers and Aquamarine has blue Destabilizers it can be assumed Gems belonging to certain Diamonds determines what colored Destabilizers they use.
- Jasper and Peridot are seen wielding Destabilizers implying they are standard-issue personal defense weapons for Homeworld Gems in Era 2.
- Since Gem ships have been shown to carry them it could be assumed that all Era-2 Gem ships have Destabilizers on board.
- The Destabilizer seems to be based on a tuning fork and the principles of mechanical resonance. All crystalline compounds have resonant frequencies which cause them to fracture when exposed to certain wavelengths of sound. This is appropriate considering the effects a Destabilizer visibly inflicted on Garnet in "The Return".
- The flashback during Garnet's story in "Gemcation" showed Pink Diamond fighting the Crystal Gems with an object resembling a Destabilizer in each hand.
- In "Familiar" an object resembling a Destabilizer was seen on Pink Diamond's desk.