A "Gem Destabilizer" is a weapon designed to instantly destabilize Gems. It is a product of the advanced Gem technology which has developed in the 5,000 years since the Crystal Gems severed all contact with the Gem Homeworld.
The Gem Destabilizer resembles a goldish-brown arrowhead-tipped tuning fork with a pale yellow, oval-shaped orb suspended between the tips. It gives off streams of static energy between the orb and the hilt. It is no longer than a forearm.
Gem Destabilizers disintegrate a Gem's body on contact with the operational end. Lines of yellow energy course through their body, dismembering them upon release, forcing the Gem consciousness to retreat into their gemstones. This process will disrupt even the most stable of pure Gem fusions. This method is also used in the containment fields of prison cells to prevent Gems from leaving their cell.
While archaic Gem weapons employ brutal force from which a Gem may require days or weeks to recover, a Gem Destabilizer will merely knock a Gem out of commission for a short period of time; perhaps for only a few hours. This is still sufficient to collect and imprison the inactive gemstone.
Gem Destabilizers, and the containment fields used in prison cells, have proven to be ineffective against the half-gem half-human, Steven Universe. This resulted in him being only slightly shocked, this is probably due to his body being organic and not a illusion as stated by Pearl and Garnet.
- This weapon (along with containment fields) can only damage full Gems, as exhibited when Steven grabs the tip of Peridot's destabilizer and walks out of the cells, as he is a hybrid.
- They are wielded by Jasper and Peridot. As Peridot pulled one out of a compartment in the control room, they may be standard personal defense weapons for Homeworld Gems.
- A Gem Destabilizer seems to be based on a tuning fork and the principle of mechanical resonance. All crystalline compounds have a resonant frequency, which causes them to fracture when exposed to a certain wavelength of sound.
- The fact that it creates an electrical charge, shows that it might also be based on a close ranged taser, a weapon that uses an electric shock to subdue an adversary.
- The bridge in Peridot's Gem Warship has yellow containment fields which appear to be based on the same technology as gem destabilizers.