I summon my weapon by eating ice cream!
"Gem Glow" is the 1st episode in the first season of Steven Universe, and the 1st episode overall.
Steven gets upset when his favorite brand of ice-cream sandwich, Cookie Cat, has been taken off the market. He soon cheers up when the Gems manage to get a hold of some of the last remaining Cookie Cats, which Steven believes may hold the key to activating his gem.
Steven is at the Big Donut shouting in despair after finding that Cookie Cat has been discontinued due to a recent competitor, Lion Lickers. Sadie and Lars let him take the freezer it was originally sold in. When he gets home, he finds Amethyst, Pearl, and Garnet locked in battle with Centipeetles that have invaded. They destroy most of them, but have not found the gem that normally appears with enemies. Garnet believes there's a mother Centipeetle somewhere. Steven shoos one from the fridge and finds many Cookie Cats in the freezer. The gems explain how they got some from a nearby factory. He is very happy and does a freestyle rap about it. He then takes a bite out of a Cookie Cat, and his gem starts to glow. Amethyst tells him to try to summon his weapon, but Steven does not know how. Eventually the Gem stops glowing, and Steven is sad. He asks to be taught how to summon a weapon, and Pearl volunteers to show him first.
She takes him to a tree with many petals, and tells him that each petal falling to the ground is moving precisely in accordance with the Earth around it, and that this can be mastered by training hard. She then summons her spear as a demonstration. Steven picks a handful of petals, but is utterly confused. Steven then goes to Amethyst, who is behind the Big Donut. Amethyst explains that whenever she needs the weapon, it comes to her. She demonstrates by pulling out her whip and slicing a dumpster in half. Steven is confused by this, because it is the opposite of what Pearl told him. He visits Garnet last, on top of the Crystal Temple. He asks if he has to train hard and not worry at the same time, to which she replies affirmatively. She tells him the alternative is to connect with all living matter and energy around him, which is her method for pulling out her gauntlets. Steven remains utterly confused.
Steven decides to do it his own way, by recreating what happened when his gem started to glow. He attempts to make everything exactly as it was before, and sings his song again. This fails, and he thinks he is not cut out to be a Crystal Gem. The others think he is being silly, and reassure him that he is one of them. He eats another Cookie Cat, when his gem suddenly starts glowing brighter than it did before. It glows to the point where his weapon is finally revealed: a shield. The others bask, and Steven yells in happiness, when his shield starts bouncing around the house and smashes into a TV; which Amethyst finds hilarious.
Steven thinks that he can summon his weapon by eating ice cream. When Pearl looks at the wrapper, wondering what's it's ingredients, the ground suddenly starts rumbling, and the mother Centipeetle appears outside. Amethyst, Pearl, and Garnet go outside, but they tell Steven to stay inside. They engage in battle, but Steven grabs the Cookie Cat freezer and many Cookie Cats, and goes outside to help. The Gems are trapped, apparently losing. Steven captures its attention and eats a Cookie Cat. However, he fails to summon his weapon and runs away. He desperately eats the remaining Cookie Cats, wondering why it's not working. When he sees the Cookie Cat freezer is damaged, he is distraught and gets a new wave of courage. He grabs it by the plug and throws the broken freezer at the mother, electrocuting it. The Gems then defeat the mother, and Garnet bubbles its gem away.
Steven buries the wrappers and cries a little. With the aid of the Crystal Gems, he resolves that he is unable to summon his weapon by eating ice cream. Then the gems cheer him up by saying that he'll be able to figure it out, "in his own Steven-y way". He then says he might have ate too many Cookie Cats and then Pearl and Amethyst laugh, and before the iris closes in on him, he throws up.
- Centipeetles (debut)
- Centipeetle Mother (debut, antagonist)
- Cookie Cat (debut)
- Cookie Cat (first appearance)
- Lion Lickers (first appearance)
- Connie's Glow Bracelet (first appearance/cameo)
- The Crystal Palace is now called the Crystal Temple.
- In the storyboards, Pearl had an extra line, but it was removed for unknown reasons.
- Cookie Cat (Song)
- "Steven's Shield", the song that plays when Steven activates his gemstone, was the first piece of music composed for Steven Universe. 
- This episode was available on iTunes as a free download before it officially aired on Cartoon Network.
- This is the first episode to end with a star-shaped iris, which is to appear again in many episodes.
- When Garnet was demonstrating how to summon her weapons, a soundtrack similar to "Synchronize/Sugilite" can be heard playing as background music.
- If one looks closely, one can see that "Crying Breakfast Friends!" was airing on Steven's T.V. when he got home.
- In the completed episode, the gemstone of the Centipeetle Mother resembles a Poké Ball. In the storyboards, it resembles an early version of the Google Chrome logo.
- The Centipeetle Mother returns in "Monster Buddies" in a much reduced form.
- In "Steven and the Stevens", multiple Stevens travel back in time to the ending of the episode where Steven throws up due to eating too many Cookie Cats.
- Connie's Glow Bracelet, which will later be returned to her in "Bubble Buddies", can be seen behind the Cookie Cats in Steven's freezer.
- "Crying Breakfast Friends!" was airing on Steven's T.V.. This show would later appear in "Space Race". Additionally, a sticker from the show also appeared in "Warp Tour" and once again in "Marble Madness". More recently, Steven took a personality test about his Crying Breakfast Friends! Character in the episode "Reformed".
- In "Say Uncle", Uncle Grandpa references this episode by showing a flashback where he appears as a promo in the corner, trying to get the gems' attention.
- When Steven turns his head,his reflection on the mini freezer was the complete opposite of the direction of where his head is.
- When Steven was freaking out that his gem's glow was fading, the star on his shirt disappears.
- At one point, the Cookie Cat wrappers on the ground near Steven disappeared by the next scene.
- When Amethyst was telling Steven how she "didn't try at all" in summoning her weapon, her tongue appears to be deep purple for a second.
- After Steven rushes through the Cookie Cat song a second time, the colors of Garnet's star are in reverse.
- When the Centipeetle attempts to spew more acid on the Crystal Gems,the lower part of Amethyst's tank top is colored white.
- When the Crystal Gems brought Steven the Cookie Cats, there were a lot in his fridge. However, when battling the Centipeetle, after Steven eats 4 or 5 Cookie Cats, all of the other Cookie Cats disappear.
- When Garnet picks up the Centipeetle's gem, she uses her left hand, but when she bubbles it away, she is seen using her right hand.
- When the Centipeetle Mother climbed the house, Garnet's star colors are reversed again.
- When the Centipeetle mother climbs the Temple, she is also followed by a few centipeetles, which disappear as the Gems leave the Beach House.
View the episode's transcript here.
- The Futon Critic staff (2013-11-05). Monday's Cable Ratings & Broadcast Finals: MNF Trumps Voice in Demos, Viewers. Ratings. The Futon Critic. Retrieved on 2013 November 5.