We won't stand out if we play the roles we were made for.
The Crystal Gems approach Pink Diamond's Zoo in the Roaming Eye, a Red Eye watching from the distance as a sentry. Entering the Zoo, the Crystal Gems witness two Amethyst guards next to the entryway. After unfusing from Garnet, Sapphire comes up with a plan to infiltrate the facility. The Crystal Gems will assume the roles they were originally made for: Sapphire is an aristocrat on a special assignment, accompanied by her Ruby guard and Pearl servant, with an Amethyst for additional muscle. They approach the Amethyst guards who ask the Crystal Gems to state their purpose, Sapphire answering, "I'm here to make a delivery to the Human Zoo." The Amethysts inform the group that the Zoo has shut down and Steven has to be thrown into space, only to reveal it was a cruel joke. Holly Blue Agate enters and scolds the guards for not informing her a Sapphire has arrived and orders them to apologize to Sapphire for their incompetence.
Sapphire informs Holly Blue that she has a human for the Zoo. Holly Blue is surprised with the delivery of two humans after nothing for millennia and says Blue Diamond will be most pleased. She orders the guards to take Steven into the Zoo, but Sapphire requests a tour of the facility (enabling Steven to remain with them for the moment). Amethyst cannot join the group, for Holly Blue orders her to help the others guard the door. Holly Blue describes the history and areas of the facility. She emphasizes Blue Diamond's "merciful and giving nature", shown in her "selfless" act of preserving the facility in Pink Diamond's memory. Sapphire asks Holly Blue how to enter the Zoo, to which she answers via the service door, a one-way access point that ensures no escape or compromise. Steven whispers to Ruby and Pearl his idea to create a distraction so they can enter the containment area.
Ruby quickly comes up with a plan and shouts "Explosion!" She explains to the group she "left the gravity engine idling." After Sapphire understands her plan, she clarifies to Holly Blue that the Roaming Eye's engine will overheat and explode. Sapphire and Holly Blue walk back to the ship to avert the impending crisis. When they leave, Ruby rants about Holly Blue's claims about Blue Diamond being merciful before being reminded by Steven to focus on the mission. Ruby tells Pearl to open the door, but the panel displays a different interface than last time, making Pearl confused and unable to open the door. As Pearl continues interacting with the panel, Steven and Ruby help out by bashing the door. They all stop when Sapphire is heard yelling to let the trio know she is returning. Holly Blue notices the marks on the door and asks Ruby and Pearl if they saw the Amethyst who did it, which relieves the Crystal Gems.
Two Amethysts approach to inform Holly Blue of important news. They are at first scolded by Holly Blue but manage to eventually blurt out that Blue Diamond is on her way back to the Zoo. Holly Blue reminds the Amethysts to be on their best behavior and tells Sapphire that Blue Diamond will want to thank her personally for the delivery. Holly Blue tells the Amethysts to take Steven to the assimilation bay. Steven goes through the assimilation process on a conveyor belt. He gets his face photographed for identity, has his body examined for things like temperature and photon sensitivity in the pupils, and is stripped to his underwear. He is then dressed in an outfit with earrings and a loincloth. Afterward, he is taken up through a water chute into the containment area of the Zoo, where he sees Greg being groomed by two humans.
- Garnet (non-speaking)
- Holly Blue Agate (debut)
- The Famethyst (debut)
- Greg Universe (non-speaking)
- Blue Diamond (mentioned)
- Pink Diamond (mentioned)
- Wy-Six (non-speaking) (debut)
- Jay-Ten (non-speaking) (debut)
- This is the first episode the Earth does not appear in.
- Holly Blue telling the Amethysts to have their "shoulders squared" is a common disciplinary critique among teachers and caretakers.
- Steven calls himself "Esteban Universidad". Although the first name is accurately the Spanish version of "Steven", the last name is actually Spanish for "college" or "university." "Universe" would be "universo."
- This episode continues from "Adventures in Light Distortion".
- Holly Blue Agate's claims that Blue Diamond is merciful and selfless do not sit well with Sapphire or Ruby: Sapphire takes long pauses before agreeing and Ruby rants about how Blue Diamond is a merciless shatterer. As seen in "The Answer", Blue Diamond was angered with Sapphire for not foreseeing the Crystal Gems' escape and was furious with Ruby to the point where she immediately ordered her to be shattered.
- "Proper" Amethysts have similar height, build, and hairstyles as Jaspers and Rose Quartz, confirming these are traits common to Quartz Gems in general. Amethyst's abnormal height and build for her gemstone have been mentioned several times by others, most commonly Jasper.
- This is the first time a Red Eye has appeared since Laser Light Cannon.
- The expression "That will be all.", used by Holly Blue Agate constantly in the episode, was previously used by Peridot in "Back to the Barn".
- Note: Time is displayed in [mm:ss]; [00:00] refers to the point after the title card is displayed and before the episode's start.
- [05:57] When Ruby is telling Holly Blue Agate about the gravity engine, her gem is missing.
- [08:36] When Holly Blue Agate orders the two Amethysts to take Steven to the assimilation bay, the gemstone on the Amethyst with a chipped tooth changes from a square facet to a hexagonal facet.
- [09:18] As Steven looks back at Holly Blue Agate while being carried away by the Amethyst guards, Holly Blue's gemstone is a diamond shape rather than a teardrop shape.
View the episode's transcript here.
- Steven Universe Returns with a Bomb on Jan 30! – The Geekiary
- Holly Blue: You'll have to forgive them. [Laughs] They're from Earth. Ahem! Apologize.