"Guidance" is the 2nd episode of Steven Universe Future and the 2nd episode overall.
The episode begins with Amethyst and Steven at Fish Stew Pizza. Steven encounters Bixbite, who has taken a job there and seems to be happy. Amethyst reveals that she has been pairing gems from Little Homeschool with Beach City jobs, including some Rubies that enter with Mayor Nanefua, acting as her guards.
Steven and Amethyst go to Beach City Funland, where he sees that many of the quartzes are now working there. Steven gets concerned because many of the jobs now held by the gems are very similar to the gems they held on Homeworld. Amethyst reassures him that this is not the case, only to have one of Nanefua's Ruby guards exclaim happily that her job is just like what she did on Homeworld. Despite Amethyst saying that these are the jobs the gems wanted, Steven explains that the gems only think they want the jobs, and that he must get them out of their comfort zones. He speaks with Larimar and Snowflake Obsidian, who run a snowcone stand together. When asked, Snowflake and Larimar both reveal they had ice-related jobs on Homeworld. To "fix" this, Steven tries to get Snowflake to fly an airplane, though she is clearly unsure. He places Larimar in charge of the The Appalachian roller coaster at Funland. She is happy about this because she gets to hear human screams, which she claims are her "favorite of Earth's delights".
After pairing up different gems with different jobs, Steven and Amethyst relax at Fish Stew Pizza, only for Steven to be hit in the face with a pizza by a Quartz. More pizzas are delivered violently, knocking over bystanders. After seeing the disaster caused by gems with unfitting jobs, Steven seeks out Amethyst's help to "unhelp" everyone he helped. They fuse into Smoky Quartz to stop Snowflake Obsidian, who is about to crash the airplane she is flying. They are able to set her and Andy down on the ground, joking but then apologizing. They head to Funland, where Larimar has lost control of the Appalachian. Steven's new "pink" power seen in "Little Homeschool" happens again, giving Smoky Quartz the ability of super speed. With this, they save the roller coaster passengers, shortly before the roller coaster flies off a broken track into the ocean.
They unfuse, and talk about how Amethyst feels like she has finally found her place in helping other gems find their place. She then asks Steven what his future holds in store. Larimar walks up, holding a stuffed bear behind her back, and gives it to Steven as thanks for giving her a job at Funland. She tells him that she discovered she is not great at operating a roller coaster, but that she is good at handing out prizes to children. She states that she loves their laughter, which is "just like screaming" (to which Steven is visibly disturbed). Steven and Amethyst sit by the beach, and see a roller coaster car containing Onion floating by. Steven is at first upset and gets up to help, but then sits back down, claiming that Onion is fine.
- Kiki Pizza (cameo)
- Steven Universe
- Bixbite (non-speaking)
- Kofi Pizza (non-speaking)
- Ruby Bodyguards
- Nanefua Pizza (non-speaking)
- Blue Lace Agate
- Biggs Jasper (non-speaking)
- Crazy Lace Agate (non-speaking)
- Lace Amethyst (cameo)
- Zebra Jasper
- Harold Smiley (non-speaking)
- Cherry Quartz (cameo)
- Nephrite (non-speaking)
- Andy DeMayo (non-speaking)
- Snowflake Obsidian
- Ocean Jasper
- Smoky Quartz
- Bill Dewey (non-speaking)
- Sour Cream (non-speaking)
- The scene where Smoky Quartz travels at a high speed to stop the malfunctioning rollercoaster, causing the surrounding environment to slow down, is a reference to the "Clock-Up" ability from the 2006 Japanese Tokusatsu series, Kamen Rider Kabuto, where the main characters of the series exhibit the same ability which enables them to travel at the speed of light while nearby objects in motion slow down to an extent.
- Alternatively, it could also be a reference to DC Comics' Flash, whose speed has been depicted multiple times over the years in this manner, a phenomenon called Flashtime.
- It also resembles the "Speed Gear" ability from Mega Man 11.
View the episode's transcript here.