This page contains content that is considered "level 2 canon" and may be contradicted by the TV series.
The comic begins with Steven, Amethyst, and Peridot purchasing tickets for Beach City's annual Renaissance Faire. The ticket holder charges them for two regular admission tickets and one under-12 ticket, under the impression that Peridot is a child. Peridot asks what she means by 'under-12', to which Amethyst jokes that she must mean under twelve brains. Peridot retorts that she has an appropriate number of neurological systems.
As the trio begins to explore the faire, Peridot admits that she doesn't understand the point of celebrating a time when the planet had far less sophisticated technology. Steven explains that it is simply fun to remember how things used to be. Mr Smiley takes this as an opportune moment to approach Peridot and offer to 'turn that frown upside down' with some face-painting. Amethyst accepts this offer before Peridot can voice her objection.
Peridot selects a tiger from the available face-painting designs. Much to her dismay, she realizes that the pattern makes her appear cute instead of ferocious. She becomes frustrated when Steven points this out but this is quickly replaced by excitement when she discovers a display of swords. As Peridot begins to swing one of the swords, Barbara suggests for her to put the sword away before anyone gets hurt and subsequently takes it from her. Despite her protests, Barbara gives her what she believes is a more suitable weapon: a rainbow lance made out of plastic.
They exit the sword tent and Steven realizes that the jousting tournament is about to begin. Amethyst tries to cheer Peridot up by telling her that she can at least watch others play with weapons.
Peridot quickly becomes engrossed in the jousting competition to the point that she sheds tears. She cheers for each successive match until Jamie announces that the score is seven to zero, with Ocean Town's 'Sir Render' coming out undefeated. After asking for volunteers to take down the reigning champion, Onion appears masquerading as 'Sir Shallot of Castle Vidalia' and goes on to win the match. Peridot is initially outraged at the jouster's defeat but realizes that Onion's smaller size served as a competitive advantage. This spurs her to volunteer for the next joust.
Peridot struggles to lift her lance as the match begins. She drops it and is expecting defeat but Sir Render, mistaking her for a child, lets her win. Peridot is confused as to how she was able to win the match without even touching her opponent. Upon brief investigation, she realizes that Sir Render had swapped his regular lance for a foam one in order to let the opponents smaller and weaker than him to win. She demands a rematch.
During this rematch, Sir Render declares that it is too weird for him and abruptly stops his horse. Peridot decides to pretend that she was hurt by the opposing jouster and promptly falls off of her own horse. The crowd begins to boo Sir Render for injuring a 'child', until Peridot reveals her ruse.
As Peridot is being escorted out of the faire she notices Onion in the background, about to release the goats. She apologizes for her behavior, admitting that she let her temper get the best of her and that she is working on learning to control this. The comic ends with Steven complimenting Peridot's display of maturity while the goats that Onion released wreak havoc behind them.
- Steven Universe
- Sir Render (debut)
- Barbara Miller
- Harold Smiley
- Lars Barriga (cameo)
- Sadie Miller (cameo)
- Kiki Pizza (cameo)
- Ronaldo Fryman (cameo)
- Peedee Fryman (cameo)
- Mr. Fryman (cameo)
- Jane Bak (cameo)
- Vidalia (cameo/mentioned)
- Lion (depicted)
- Jamie announces that it is the ninth annual jousting tournament. This suggests that the renaissance faire has been around for at least nine years, possibly more if the jousting tournament was a later addition to the available attractions.
- The undefeated jouster is named "Sir Render". This is word play of the term 'surrender'.
- Among the face-painting options, Lion is depicted. The Great Diamond Authority symbol can also be seen, except White Diamond's, Yellow Diamond's, and Blue Diamond's respective positions in the insignia have been swapped around.
- Blue Diamond's insignia is now positioned at the top of the logo, while White's now resides on the left, and Yellow's on the right.
- Peridot dons the name 'Sir Peridot of the Barn' while jousting. This references the fact that she lives in The Barn.
- One of the face-painting designs bears a striking resemblance to the crest of sincerity from Digimon.
- In the background, the characters Yurio, Otabek, Yuri, and Victor from Yuri on Ice can all be seen.
- While challenging Sir Render to a rematch, Peridot says "I'll see you on the dueling ground." This references a lyric sung by Philip in Hamilton's "Blow Us All Away".
- Peridot's rainbow-colored lance resembles the rainbow sword from Kirby's Dream Land 2.