The episode begins with Pearl warping back to the Crystal Temple. Steven asks Pearl where she had been, to which she replies that she was looking for Peridot for a few days straight. Pearl says that she knows that everyone is disappointed in her, especially Garnet, and wants to make it up to Garnet by showing she is trustworthy again. Garnet enters the house, and Pearl immediately tells her that she was just looking for Peridot. She asks Garnet for any new ideas on searching Peridot, but she ignores Pearl and heads to the warp pad. Garnet stops when Pearl apologizes. Greg enters the house and enthusiastically asks if anyone wants to go on a road trip. After being met with confused stares, Greg asks whether or not he came at a bad time, and Garnet tells him to continue. Greg wants to travel to Keystone because he had been sold car wash brushes through the internet for a very cheap price and wants to pick them up. He plans to stay in Keystone overnight in a motel, which gets Steven excited for a road trip, especially after mentioning that there will be a pool, free ice, and the "best diner in the world." Garnet decides to come with them, even after Greg says the motel isn't actually as good as he says it is. Pearl tells Garnet that she will make sure Amethyst knows that Garnet and Steven are off to Keystone, but is ignored once again.
During the car ride, Garnet, sitting in the back of the van, seems visibly agitated. When they pull over to their room, Steven gets very excited and jumps on one of the beds. Greg checks for bed bugs, and Garnet annoyingly enters the room with everyone's belongings. Greg gets a message on his phone to pick up the tunnel brushes, and asks Garnet to watch over the room. She has a slight spasm on her hand, and gives him the thumbs up. Greg leaves off for the brushes. Steven begins bouncing on the bed and reading the brochure. Garnet begins to act strangely, and speaks to herself as though Ruby and Sapphire are talking to each other. Ruby says that she does not want to forgive Pearl, but Sapphire says that she must. Garnet unfuses into Ruby and Sapphire. Ruby angrily tells Sapphire that Pearl used them to form Sardonyx and because of it she feels used. Sapphire asserts that Ruby is taking this issue personally, to which Ruby yells that this is, indeed, a personal issue of fusion. Sapphire simply says that the sooner they forgive Pearl, the better it will be, and that Ruby can't stay angry at Pearl forever. Ruby begins to burn the floor and carpet, and storms out of the room, leaving burnt tracks behind her.
Steven leaves the room to swim in the pool and finds Ruby angrily running back and forth. He asks her if she wants to swim in the pool, but Ruby begins to rant about fusion. She is mad that Sapphire doesn't seem to care about what fusion truly is, and remarks that usually they are the bigger gem, but since they have different opinions and are unfused from Garnet, they can't rationally solve the issue. Steven jumps into the pool, and implores Ruby to join him. Ruby walks into the pool, sinking to the bottom while still pacing and incoherently ranting about the issue. She quickly heats up the water, prompting Steven to quickly exit the pool as the pool begins to boil.
- This is the second episode to be aired in StevenBomb 3, which will air on July 14th.
- This episode is symbolized in the promo art for the 3rd StevenBomb with a breakfast platter in the form of a smiling face.
- Ruby and Sapphire are revealed to be elemental Gems, their abilities referencing fire and ice.
- Sapphire is confirmed to have one eye.
- Amethyst appears in this episode, but has no lines.
- This is the second episode to feature Ruby and Sapphire.
- Greg already knew that Garnet was a fusion.
- It is unknown if Ruby and Jasper has some kind of connection, since they are both associated with fire.
- This episode reveals Ruby's weapon.
- This episode also shows that Sapphire can levitate.
- Ruby and Sapphire having fire and ice powers may be a reference to an episode of Adventure Time.
- Ruby causing intense heat when very angry may be a reference to Anger from the film Inside Out and his head creating fire when very angry.
- When Steven mentions the feeling of the car brushes on his fur, he is referencing his out of control shape shifting in the episode "Cat Fingers".
- Garnet, Ruby, and Sapphire still show strong emotion towards the misuse of fusion. Just like in Keeping It Together.
- Garnet is still mad at Pearl from the previous episode and refuses to speak to her until she re-fuses.
- Although Ruby showed her anger, Sapphire appeared to stay calm/bunching up her anger.
View the episode's transcript here.