|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the group.|
Steven gains new allies.
After managing to escape Yellow Diamond's attacks after Steven's trial, Steven and Lars run to hide. They begin to search the outer Gem Homeworld, looking for something to eat. They are eventually spotted by an explosive Robonoid. They trt to avoid it, but are caught by the scanner noticing Steven's gemstone. The Robonoid starts attacking them.
Steven and Lars run behind a wall, with Lars admitting how scared he is. The two are saved by someone's arm from below, and are taken into a tunnel to escape the scanners. This stranger turns out to be a conjoined pair of Rutiles.
Bewildered by this odd-looking Gem, Steven and Lars walk from the tunnel to a large abandoned Kindergarten. They meet the rest of the rogue Gems hiding in the Kindergarten (a Padparadscha, and fusions Rhodonite and Fluorite), who explain themselves to be a rogue group of Gems outcasted from Homeworld society for being defective, non-normal, or "off-color".
Soon they are again by a group of Robonoids, and they all go into hiding to avoid from being scanned. Steven and Lars hide inside an empty Kindergarten hole, and Lars is scared again. Steven cheers him up and calms him down by saying that "it's okay to be scared".
When Lars sees the Rutile Twins about to be scanned, Lars bravely grabs a rock and throws it onto one of the Robonoids, interrupting its scanners. The two Robonoids then scan Lars again, who is standing absolutely still. Since Lars is organic and has no gemstone, he is completely invisible and unrecognized to the Robonoids' gemstone scanners.
Padparadscha makes a late prediction, and is oblivious to the Robonoid who is scanning her, but Lars manages to save her by kicking it away its blast and moving her away.
Steven tries to avoid being scanned again by putting up his shield, but the scanner still notices his gemstone. Lars then grabs a large stick and starts batting away the Robonoids. One escapes from him and blasts Steven, but is deflected and sent to the other Robonoids, destroying one after another.
Rhodonite tries to warn Padparadscha until she realizes she is being scanned, but, once again, Lars goes and blocks her exposed gemstones from the scanners. Finally, Lars jumps on top of the Robonoid and starts attacking it with a stick, while the Robonoid makes random shots all over the place. Lars finally stabs the stick into the lens, causing it to explode, and throwing Lars off into the wall, with the fall severely injuring him.
Steven runs to Lars, unconscious, to check if he's okay, but Lars doesn't move. The Gems, not knowing of Lars' injury, are happy and impressed of Lars saving them from the Robonoids. Steven places his ear into Lars' chest, trying to listen for a heartbeat, but there is nothing. The explosion and fall have killed Lars.
Distraught at Lars' death, Steven bursts into tears. Everyone stands around in silence. A drop of Steven's tears drips onto Lars' cheek. Suddenly, Lars starts to glow pink from head to toe. Then, Lars starts to wake up with a scratch on his right eye. Surprised that Lars has come back to life and questioning what just happened, the episode ends with Padparadscha making another late prediction.
- Lars Barriga
- Rutile Twins (debut)
- Padparadscha (debut)
- Rhodonite (debut)
- Fluorite (debut)
- Morganite (mentioned)
- Yellow Diamond (indirectly mentioned)
- Blue Diamond (indirectly mentioned)
- Blue Diamond's Palanquin (broken)
- Steven gains the ability to resurrect people with his tears.
- This episode reveals that if "Off Colors" are spotted on the surface of Gem Homeworld, then they'll be shattered.
- Lars makes a reference to Jurassic Park when he says for him and Steven to not move so the scanners won't detect them. He later refers to it as seeing a "dinosaur movie."
- This episode follows the events of "The Trial".
- Steven comforts Lars with the same high five they did in "Lars and the Cool Kids".
- The term "Off Colors" was first used in the episode "That Will Be All" by Holly Blue Agate. She used this when addressing the defective Jasper and Carnelian, giving a hint to its meaning.
- When Lars first sees Fluorite, the circular gem on her forehead has a pentagonal facet. For the rest of the episode the facet is triangular.
View the episode's transcript here.