AppearanceOpal is a tall gem, only formed when Amethyst and Pearl fuse together into one gem. She has long white hair, pale violet skin, bright blue eyes, and four arms. She has Amethyst's traditional expression. She is wearing mostly Pearl's clothes, and has two gems, (both Opals) on her forehead and chest, similar to where Amethyst's and Pearl's gems are. She also has her own weapon, a bow that is created when she fuses Amethyst's whip and Pearl's spear weapons together.
Opal retains a separate personality from the two gems who form her as opposed to a shared mind, her mind and subsequent personality, is also a fusion. Her personality is speculated to be mild-mannered and a fusion of Amethyst's rash, but powerful and Pearl's graceful, but perfectionist personalities. She appears to be more laid-back with Steven's desire to have fun, as she sang part of Steven's song back to him.
By synchronizing via dancing, Amethyst and Pearl can fuse to become a more powerful gem, an "amalgam of [their] combined magical and physical attributes fused into a single entity," thus forming Opal. However, when the two show signs of disagreement, Opal is separated back into Amethyst and Pearl. Opal is capable of working her four arms in tandem as well as performing enhanced acrobatics while controlling both gems weapons.
- She is the first fused Gem to be featured in an episode.
- The "dance" the two must perform to fuse may be a reference to the Fusion Dance in DragonBall Z, even to the part where the two fusers must be willing to bond when needed.
- The locations of her two gems are the same as Amethyst's and Pearl's gems.
- Opal closely resembles Kali, a Hindu deity, featuring four arms, long hair, and a gem lodged in their forehead. She is also similar to the design of Nabooru from the "Legend of Zelda;" even to the point of having her pointed nose.
- Opal's appearance consists more of Pearl's physical appearance and features.
- At one point if you look closely, Opal's lips look like regular Pearl lips, in the next scene she has Amethyst's again.