For the instrumental soundtrack, see Opal (song).
Opal has long, flowing, creamy blonde colored hair, sky-blue eyes with indigo pupils, and pale lavender skin. Her voluminous hair extends slightly past her knees, and is pulled back by an orange band into a rowdy pony-tail resembling Amethyst's hair except for her chin length bangs which resemble Pearl's. Her lips resemble Amethyst's, while her nose resembles Pearl's. She possesses four arms and is at least 9-10 feet tall with a thinner build resembling Pearl's. Opal also has two gems, one on her chest, with the same gem cut as Amethyst's, and an oval shaped gem on her forehead, rounded like Pearl's.
Opal sports a turquoise tube-shirt that drapes down to her shins, featuring an accented star at the base. She wore magenta leggings with lavender cuffs and gold flat-boots.
Her attire is similar to her previous outfit, but with a sash around her waist, a tank top, and an added neckline to her top. This is due to Pearl's regeneration in "Steven the Sword Fighter", but the colors are yet to be confirmed, since she appeared in a white and green tint.
Due to Amethyst and Pearl being almost polar opposites, her personality is very unstable and the most minor of disagreements between the two can result in a de-fusion.
Opal's personality is speculated to be a combination of Amethyst's power, along with Pearl's grace and precision. She appears to be more open to Steven's desire to have fun and play, as she sang part of his song back to him. This shows a combination of Amethyst's laid-back attitude with Pearl's nurturing tendencies. It was shown that she can easily be distracted from main objectives, such as when she defeated the monster at the Sky Spire, she considered the mission done and left without completion of the original mission (retrieving the Heaven Beetle). This could be because of both Amethyst and Pearl, as the two can easily get distracted by simple desires.
AbilitiesOpal possesses standard Gem abilities, including weapon-summoning, shape-shifting, bubbling, regeneration, fusion, agelessness, and superhuman strength\durability.
- Bow and Arrow Proficiency: Opal's weapon is an opalescent longbow that fires arrows made of a light-based energy. The bow is roughly as tall as Opal herself. Due to Opal being a fusion of Amethyst and Pearl, she can summon either Amethyst's whip or Pearl's spear at will. She fuses both weapons together to form her bow. Pearl's spear forms the limbs of the bow while the lash of Amethyst's whip becomes the string. Her arrows are summoned when the bow is drawn back. These arrows cause a large explosion and emit a bright light on impact, as well as bearing a striking resemblance to the energy blasts emitted by Pearl's spear. The arrows are also capable of splitting into several smaller arrows and attacking multiple targets at once. Targets pierced by these arrows have their remaining gems bubbled.
- Water-Walking: Opal can walk on water, an ability she shares with Lion, Pearl and Lapis Lazuli.
- Increased Stability: Opal is shown to be able to "glide" by kicking off the wall and gliding in the sky.
- Gymnastics/Acrobatics: Opal has shown a gymnastic/acrobatic ability in the episode Giant Woman when Opal does a double back hand spring on her top arms while holding Steven in her bottom arms.
Opal retains a protective nature over Steven from Pearl and Amethyst. She is willing to play around with Steven, as when he asked if she remembered him, she replied by smiling and singing his song back to him nicely.
Opal and Garnet are on seemingly good terms and work together well. When Opal returned with Steven, Garnet did not seem surprised and simply asked Opal if she completed her mission. Later, in "The Return", Opal recognizes Garnet's leadership and awaits her command to fire her arrow/arrows, working together without problems while attempting to destroy the Gem Warship.
- She is the third shortest fusion, right above Stevonnie and Garnet.
- As seen in "The Return", she is at least twice as tall as Garnet.
- Opal and Stevonnie are the only known fusions that have no more than two eyes.
- She was the second fusion to be seen; the first being Garnet.
- Although, she is the first to be introduced as such.
- Opal's appearance consists more of Pearl's physical appearance and features.
- This also extends to her weapon; Pearl's spear not only makes up the longbow but the arrows are visually similar to the energy blast the spear can emit. Meanwhile, Amethyst's whip only makes up the bowstring.
- This suggests that Pearl is slightly dominant in this Fusion.
- Opal is the only Gem with an exclusively ranged weapon.
- This is most likely due to Pearl's spear, while being a melee weapon, has the ability to emit a ranged energy blast and she can throw her spear with incredible speed and accuracy, though not as far as her energy blasts.
- Opal is among the least "monstrous" of fusions, which could imply that more stable fusions look closer to a humanoid figure, since the only fusions that seems more humanoid than her are Garnet, Stevonnie, and Rainbow Quartz.
- It also implies that despite their constant bickering, Pearl and Amethyst are actually very close deep down.
- She has the second least amount of speaking time of any fusion, the first being Rainbow Quartz, who received no speaking time.
- Opal is one of the six fusions to be shown more than once. The others were Garnet, Stevonnie, Malachite, Sugilite, and Sardonyx.
- Opal, along with Garnet, are the only two fusions who have bubbled Gems on-screen.
- When Opal's arrow bubbled the gem shards from the Big Bird, her bubbles were colored mint-green.
- Opal is one of only two fusion gems who have never been seen successfully fusing on-screen, the other being Alexandrite.
- Opals storyboard animation of her weapon summoning shows her striking a slightly different pose afterwards, with her arms going out in all directions. (Opal/Gallery)
- Opal's voice actress, Aimee Mann, serves as a big inspiration for Rebecca Sugar, which is why she was hired to voice Opal.
- Opal closely resembles Kali, a Hindu deity, featuring four arms, long hair, and a gemstone lodged on their foreheads.
- Additionally, Opal was originally planned to make a manji with her arms when summoning her weapon, of which Kali is commonly associated with.
- She is also similar to the design of Nabooru from The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time; even to the point of having her pointed nose.
- She also resembles the Hindu deity Lakshmi, who, like Opal, has four arms. Opal's weaponry also revolves around light, something Lakshmi is closely associated with.
- Opal's theme is a style of music called High-Energy Piano Anthem, a type of music invented by Masami Ueda, the composer for the Bayonetta games.
- Opal is a birthstone for those who are born in October, along with Tourmaline.
- Opal is said to stimulate originality and creativity.
- Opal is the national gemstone of Australia.
- Opals are delicate gemstones. Their most significant weakness has to do with their water content, as silicon dioxide is a very strong macromolecule.
- Opal's chemical formula is SiO2•n(H2O), where the water impurities (n(H2O)) make opals refract all the colors of the visible spectrum of light.
- The gemstone opal shares qualities from both pearls and amethysts. Like pearls, opals are found underwater. Like amethysts, opals are made of silicon dioxide.
|Pearl's gemstone on Opal, appearing to be completely smooth. It lacks facets.|
|Amethyst's gemstone on Opal, featuring a hexagonal facet. It is a tetradecahedron.|