Pearls are servants on Homeworld, acting as custom-made Gems with the purpose of serving their owner. All Pearls shown so far, with the exception of Pink Pearl and Pearl under White Diamond's control, have been voiced by Deedee Magno-Hall.
- Main article: Caste System
Pearls are described by Peridot as "someone's shiny toy", and also mentions that there are hundreds of them on Homeworld. They are expected only to serve and be submissive and obedient, simply waiting on their owners and not acting independently in any way. Yellow Pearl even claims that her feelings "are irrelevant". When formed for the first time, their gem is show in a blue holographic oyster in which they ask for their superior’s preferred name. Pearls typically perform tasks such as holding their owners' belongings (which they can store inside their gemstones) and serving as footpeople opening doors for their masters. They are expected to consistently exhibit subservience by remaining silent unless spoken to and remaining a few paces behind their superior when walking with them. It is physically impossible for a Pearl to disobey a direct order from their owner, and are normally dismissed with the phrase "that will be all" generally followed by the owner clapping her hands twice when they are no longer needed. There are exceptions to these rules depending on who the Pearl belongs to, such as those of the Diamonds. Yellow Pearl is able to get away with talking down to Gems higher in the caste system whenever she feels they would disturb Yellow Diamond, and clearly relishes the opportunity to do so. White Pearl was seen (and feared) as an extension of White Diamond's will, making even the other Diamonds tread lightly in her presence.
Pearls also provide simple luxuries such as singing, dancing and visual entertainment by projecting holograms. They are also status symbols on Homeworld reserved for higher castes such as the Diamonds and aristocrats like Sapphires, as Peridot comments that the idea of a Peridot owning a Pearl is ridiculous. Pearls may also be earned by committing a significant act of heroism, as Ruby (Eyeball) believed she would be given her own Pearl for capturing Rose Quartz.
Physically, all Pearls appear to have a slender form and a beak-like nose. They can also be "customized" by owners in color and appearance, allowing them to have very noticable differences from each other, unlike most other types of gems who would normally wear near identical uniforms and have the same colors.
Most Homeworld Pearls tend to wear some form of skin tight clothing, such as a singlet or body suit, with a sheer material attached to match a certain element of their owners clothing. The position of their gemstone also matches that of their owner.
- Pearl - A renegade Pearl and the sole confidant of Pink Diamond, later known as Rose Quartz. She, along with Rose, founded the Crystal Gems.
- Blue Pearl - A quiet Pearl that serves Blue Diamond.
- Yellow Pearl - A bold Pearl that serves Yellow Diamond.
- Pink Pearl - A Pearl that served White Diamond after being taken away from Pink.
- Rhodonite 's component Pearl - One of Rhodonite's component Gems, who previously belonged to a Morganite before deciding to remain permanently fused with a Ruby.
- Lonely Pearl - A Pearl who was accused of treason and was left behind on Earth. She eventually became corrupted.
- According to Ian Jones-Quartey, if Yellow Pearl and Blue Pearl fuse together they would form a bigger Pearl with combined colors.
- As revealed in Steven Universe The Movie, when a Pearl is first formed, a holographic clamshell will surround their gemstone. In this state, someone can claim ownership of said Pearl by stating their name, as well as make customizations to her.
- ↑ Joe Johnston's Tumblr
"Q: Sir, but how do we know everything Pearl did for Rose wasn't just that Pearl-caste-programming kicking in because in truth, Pearl knew Rose was infact her Diamond. Sure Pearl had feelings for her, but how do we know whether or not the servant mentality still didnt play a role in Pearl's allegiance with Rose.
A: I’ll put it this way, if Pink Diamond we’re to say “Pearl, I ORDER you to do such and such…” because she’s her Pearl, she would have to do it. Of course her servant mentality played a role in her allegiance to Rose, how could it not. BUT, that relationship clearly grew and changed as naturally as any relationship will, and it wasn’t due to Pink Diamonds powers or influence..."
- ↑ "they would make a bigger pearl with combined colors" – ian jq on Twitter