|This article is about the fusion of Steven and Pearl. You may be looking for the fusion of Rose Quartz and Pearl or the soundtrack.|
Ah, yes. Now that's two stones, with one bird.
|—"Change Your Mind"|
Rainbow Quartz 2.0 (or Rainbow 2.0, as they refer to themself in order to differentiate from the original Rainbow Quartz) is the fusion of Steven and Pearl. They made their reformed debut in "Change Your Mind".
Rainbow Quartz 2.0 maintains the original Rainbow Quartz's light pink skin color, but their hair is significantly shorter and smaller, instead resembling a thicker, wavier version of Pearl’s hair, and is deep mauve in color along with blue and pink streaks. They wear a long-sleeved electric blue blazer vaguely similar to Pearl's over a midriff version of Steven's pink t-shirt with a yellow star in the middle, Steven's jeans as knee-length shorts, and Pearl's pink ballet slippers.
Unlike most other fusions seen so far, Rainbow Quartz 2.0 does not gain additional height from fusion but is instead about the same height as Pearl. They also share a thin build with Pearl, but has strong, wider calves and feet, which stem from Steven.
The gem of Pearl uses a shade of pink, which very closely resembles the shade of their skin color, and Steven's gem uses shades of pink, purple, and yellow.
Pearl's dignity and balletic flair combine with Steven's lighthearted fun side and his occasional "goofiness" to form Rainbow Quartz's very flamboyant, fun, and posh personality.
A selfless caregiver, they plunge confidently through the air to rescue the falling gemstones of their friends. In a manner similar to that of Sardonyx, they speak with a posh English accent and share Steven's affinity for wordplay.
He is described as someone who is both creative and solves problems with ease.
Rainbow Quartz 2.0 is assumed to possess standard Gem abilities and traits.
- When fused with Ruby, Sapphire (or Garnet), and Amethyst, they form Obsidian.
- Rainbow could also form Obsidian by fusing with Sugilite.
- Parasol Proficiency: Rainbow Quartz 2.0 can, by mixing Pearl's spear and Steven's shield, summon their weapon: a large parasol, with pastel pink and violet tones with a yellow star design on top of it. When used, it enables Rainbow Quartz to easily float through the air.
- Rocket Parasol: Rainbow Quartz 2.0 can ride their parasol as if it were a witch's broomstick. When flying, the parasol gives off a rainbow-colored trail-boost.
- Speed of Descent Regulation: Carried over from Steven, Rainbow Quartz 2.0 can control how fast they fall via the parasol.
- They are the first fusion in the series to not have a female voice actress.
- They are also the first - and currently only - fusion that includes a full-gem to not use she/her pronouns, and the first fusion to use he/him pronouns alongside they/them pronouns.
- Their design and personality were described by Colin Howard as a "fusion" of Mary Poppins (from the book series of the same name) and Dick Van Dyke (an American actor, comedian, and performer).
- They share some similarities to the character Mary Poppins, especially their British accent and their ability to float using their umbrella.
- Colin Howard also referred to the character with he/him pronouns. This was later confirmed again by Rebecca Sugar on The Steven Universe Podcast.
- Colin has also stated that aspects of Rainbow's design were inspired by Nintendo's Kirby video game series.
- They are currently the shortest fusion of two gems in the series, being only slightly taller than Pearl (one of their components).
- Their quote "Rainbow Quartz powers, activate!" is maybe a reference to Steven's quote "Serious Steven, ACTIVATE!" in the episode "Serious Steven" and Pearl's quote "Fusion...activate!" in the episode "Now We're Only Falling Apart".
| Pearl's gemstone on Rainbow Quartz 2.0, featuring a large ring around the middle. It is smooth, without facets.
|Steven's gemstone on Rainbow Quartz 2.0, featuring a pentagonal facet.|