This is our home! Our planet! Our friends and family! We are the Crystal Gems!
"Reunited" is the 23rd and 24th episode of the fifth season of Steven Universe, the 151st and 152nd episode overall, and the final episode in the seventh StevenBomb. It is a 22-minute special episode, excluding advertisements.
PlotThe episode starts off with Steven singing "Let's Only Think About Love". He goes around helping everyone get ready for the wedding. Ruby and Sapphire say their vows, with Sapphire explaining how Ruby saved her from her destiny and opened up new possibilities. They kiss and fuse back into Garnet. During the reception, Steven begins crying, at first believing it to be due to his emotions and later realizing it is the presence of Blue Diamond. The Diamonds come in their ships and attack the Cluster, aiming to open its bubble. Despite Steven's attempts, the Cluster is unbubbled and takes the form of a giant arm. However, it remains in control of itself and fights Yellow Diamond's ship.
Meanwhile, Blue arrives and is unconvinced by Steven's attempts at talking to her. She attacks and subdues everyone but Connie and Lion with her grief. Connie attacks Blue Diamond but fails and Connie's sword is shattered, Garnet gets past the sadness and is able to distract Blue long enough for Lapis to launch the Barn at Blue.The fight continues with the Crystal Gems momentarily victorious, and Lapis officially joins the Crystal Gems, as Yellow Diamond's ship is defeated and thrown onto Blue's, crushing Blue Diamond beneath it. Unfortunately, the Diamonds regroup: Yellow Diamond exits her ship and assists Blue out from the wreckage. Peridot taunts Yellow asking if the Diamond remembers her. Yellow scornfully denies it and poofs Peridot. As Steven tries to explain to the Diamonds, Yellow smashes him into the ground, knocking Steven unconscious.
Steven awakens outside his body in an abstract psychic plane. He realizes that disembodied, he can interact with people's thoughts and watches as Lapis is also poofed. After giving his friends encouragement he attempts to contact the Diamonds, but having still believed him to be an enemy, they attack him. Steven resists and is able to create Pink Diamond's aura, which convinces the Diamonds that she is still alive.
Steven reawakens with the Crystal Gems and the Diamonds standing over him with surprise, as Blue expresses in tears, "It's you... Pink!"
- Steven Universe
- Connie Maheswaran
- Lapis Lazuli
- Greg Universe
- Yellow Diamond
- Blue Diamond
- The Cluster
- Dr. Priyanka Maheswaran (non-speaking)
- Doug Maheswaran (non-speaking)
- Onion (non-speaking)
- Sour Cream (non-speaking)
- Vidalia (non-speaking)
- Yellowtail (non-speaking)
- Nanefua Pizza
- Jenny Pizza (non-speaking)
- Kiki Pizza (non-speaking)
- Kofi Pizza (non-speaking)
- Ronaldo Fryman (non-speaking)
- Peedee Fryman (non-speaking)
- Mr. Fryman (non-speaking)
- Bill Dewey (non-speaking)
- Buck Dewey (non-speaking)
- Jamie (non-speaking)
- Andy DeMayo (non-speaking)
- Sadie Miller (non-speaking)
- Barbara Miller (non-speaking)
- Harold Smiley (non-speaking)
- Cat Steven
- Mayoral Guards (non-speaking)
- Rose Quartz/Pink Diamond (mentioned)
- This is the third half-hour episode to air in the series (with the first being "Bismuth" and the second being "Gem Harvest") and the first to feature a song.
- As of this episode, Yellow Diamond has poofed four Gems on-screen.
- This episode reveals that Lapis can withstand Blue Diamond’s radiated pathokinesis, because of her past trauma of being trapped in a mirror for thousands of years and being fused with Jasper.
- The promo art for this episode features Kelsey and JP from Craig of the Creek, another Cartoon Network series that has had several references to Steven Universe (including a reference to Li'l Butler apparently existing within the former series).
- The wedding takes place eight months after Steven's birthday, which means the wedding takes place in April. Coincidentally, the birthstone for April is a diamond.
- This also means the entirety of the events of the past three seasons has taken place over the course of eight months in-universe.
- This is the only episode where a fusion involving Garnet unfuses due to a disruption of stability that does not show Ruby and Sapphire's silhouettes.
- This is the first episode in which both Blue and Yellow Diamond appear without their respective Pearls.
- The episode's title refers to the reuniting of Ruby and Sapphire as Garnet, the reuniting of Lapis and Peridot, and the reuniting of the Diamonds with Pink (Steven).
- The flowers in Ruby's hair are hydrangeas, based on the flowers a friend of Rebecca's was wearing in her hair at her wedding.
- The hydrangeas appear to be the cultivar of the species H. macrophylla named "Harlequin".
- When Yellow Diamond is thinking to herself, she is saying "I knew Pink couldn't handle a colony, but I gave in, and now I'm to blame for her fate." This can imply that it was Yellow who granted Pink Diamond the Earth, and that it may have previously been one of her colonies.
- This "giving in" may have been due to Pink Diamond pressuring Yellow Diamond such as the tantrum shown in "Jungle Moon".
- While preparing for the wedding, Sapphire and Ruby cover their eyes around each other. This is a common superstition that bad luck will come if the bride is seen by her fiancé before their wedding.
- When Sapphire shatters the ice forming around her feet from anxiety, this is a reference to the common symptom of a bride-to-be known as "cold feet".
- It may also be related to the "breaking the glass" Jewish wedding tradition.
- Lapis Lazuli's line, "I've only just begun to fight," bears resemblance to a quote of the American naval captain, John Paul Jones, stating "I have not yet begun to fight".
- When Steven is talking to Garnet in the psychic realm, she begins punching rapidly and grunting. This could be a reference to Star Platinum’s famous “ORA ORA ORA” attack from JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. Her grunting even sounds like the quote.
- This episode immediately begins after "Made of Honor".
- This is the first physical appearance of Connie since "Lars of the Stars".
- Cat Steven also returns since "Pool Hopping".
- Ruby and Sapphire marry after their engagement in "The Question".
- As of their marriage, Garnet has reformed again for the first time since she came undone in "Now We're Only Falling Apart".
- Blue Diamond recognizes Rose's Sword and shatters it; she first identified it as the alleged murder weapon during "The Trial".
- When Steven is shaving, he uses the razor Garnet gave him in "Three Gems and a Baby".
- The strand of facial hair he shaves off is the same one he started growing at the end of "Steven's Birthday".
- Blue and Yellow Diamond now know Rose Quartz and Pink Diamond was the same person.
- Blue Diamond does, in fact, remember Ruby and Sapphire from the events of "The Answer".
- Conversely, Yellow Diamond claims not to remember Peridot just before poofing her, but use to before Peridot told her off in "Message Received".
- Steven's rallying cry, "This is our home! Our planet! Our friends and family! We are the Crystal Gems!" somewhat echoes a line of his from "The Return" – "But this is my home! And you're all my family! And...I'm a Crystal Gem too!"
- In her thoughts, Pearl mentions to "do it for him/her", referencing the song "Do It for Her".
- When rousing her, Steven tells her to think of herself as well, as she previously used self-sacrifice in battle for Rose.
- The Cluster's appearance of many hands reaching towards the sky while forming was foreshadowed in "The Zoo" when the Zoomans reached to the sky after Greg rejected their choice of him. A similar image is part of the mural inside the Pyramid Temple.
- The enhancements given to the Crystal Gems' weapons in "Bismuth" return.
- Steven, Greg and Pearl wear the tailor-made suits they first purchased and wore in "Mr. Greg".
- The Together Breakfast makes an appearance as Garnet's wedding cake. A "bride and groom" figurine modeled after Ruby and Sapphire replaces the strawberry topper.
- At one point in the song "Let's Only Think About Love", Steven does a pose similar to his pose at the beginning of the first opening.
- One of the first lines in the song describes Pink/Rose seeing the Earth's "beauty and worth", echoing one of Pearl's lines in the extended second opening.
- The last time Steven sings "There's an awful lot of awful things we could be thinking of", he holds the note, possibly referencing the end of "It's Over Isn't It".
- Greg plays "Stronger Than You" on his guitar when the Gems are walking down the aisle until Ruby starts running toward Sapphire. Sour Cream also plays a chiptune remix during the reception. A small sample of the song can also be heard when Garnet is confronting Blue Diamond and reaffirming that she is "made of love".
- In "Can't Go Back", Steven tells Lapis that she can drop the barn on the beach. She does precisely that in this episode.
- When Garnet faces Blue Diamond, the latter asks "Who are you supposed to be?" Jasper asked the same question to the newly formed Smoky Quartz in "Earthlings" after Steven and Amethyst fused.
- When Steven is seen shaving his single facial hair in the mirror, the image is not mirrored as it should.
- When Steven shaves off his single facial hair, the shadow of his chin underneath his facial hair disappears.
- When Peridot is first seen, her dress seems to be sticking out with no wind blowing it. This is corrected in the next shot when her dress and the surrounding grass is seen blowing with the wind.
- When Steven warps in the house with Peridot, he's holding her left hand. In the next shot, he's holding her right hand.
- When Steven descends at the end of the song, Sapphire's gem is missing.
- During the wedding ceremony, after Steven acknowledges the presence of everyone and begins his speech, Nanefua is not visible in the crowd. However, she had been seen before the song finished.
- Pumpkin is shown with hollowed-out eyes instead of having pumpkin seeds for eyes.
- When Greg was walking by the guests while playing the guitar, his hand was not moving even though you could hear the guitar being played.
- When Steven says, “Two of my favorite people,” his bow tie is black. It turns white when he moves his hands while saying, “Who combine into one of my other favorite people.” In the next shot of Steven, it goes back to black.
- When Ruby puts the ring on Sapphire's finger, Sapphire's gem is not oriented correctly.
- After Ruby and Sapphire reunited, Garnet is seen wearing a wedding gown with puffed sleeves and a black bow tie with a pair of pants, but the next screenshot of Garnet in a distant, she is seen wearing a full wedding gown's bottom without pants to be seen.
- When Garnet takes form after Ruby and Sapphire fuse with each other, her neck is missing.
- This may just be due to the angle, as it seems like her back might be slightly arched.
- When the Crystal Gems are squaring off against Blue Diamond just after Lapis drops the barn on her, Pearl's spear is summoned as a trident, then it turns into a regular spear, and then it turns back into a trident in the next shot where we can see it, with no throwing having been done between the three shots.
- Also, when Lion and Connie jump on Blue Diamond, her eyes seem to have turned mint green instead of being their usual sky blue.
- When Blue Diamond sends out her radiated Pathokinesis a second time Connie appears to be in tears despite being immune.
- However, it is possible that this was not a mistake and was done on purpose as the second wave seemed to be more powerful.
- In the same scene Pearl was the only one of the team to not to shed tears.
- Lion's head appears to be missing in the first shot of when the Crystal Gems were positioned in Lapis's water ball.
- When the Crystal Gems fly through the air to attack Blue Diamond, Garnet is seen before Connie and Lion, but Lion's attack hits Blue Diamond first.
- When Yellow Diamond says "It must be a trick! Show yourself, foe!", you can not see Blue Diamond through Yellow Diamond's body and vice versa, even though both are translucent.
- The font for Patti LuPone's name in the credits is not in the normal font style.
- Ruby's name is incorrectly listed as 'Rudy' in the credits.
- Nanefua's name is incorrectly listed as 'Nenefua' in the credits.
- Peridot's dress and shoes disappear when she gets poofed, even though they couldn't have been a shapeshifted outfit since she can't shapeshift.
- It is nonetheless possible that just like she acquired ferrokinetic and bubbling abilities, she also learned to shapeshift; however, there is currently no evidence in support of this.
- It is also possible that changes in clothing do not require shapeshifting, since Pearl was fine with changing her clothes in Beach Party despite having no interest in shapeshifting. So it could be possible for Peridot's outfit to be part of her physical form even though she can not shapeshift.
- When the Barn drops on Blue Diamond the cut of her gem is rounded like Lapis'. Even at the angle shown, it should still have its points.
- When Blue Diamond catches Connie in midair by Rose's sword, her hand clips through Connie in multiple places, as it can be noticed the hand is animated in two separate pieces.
- The Cluster smashes Yellow's ship into Blue's from above, however, in later shots, Yellow's ship is on the bottom.
- When the Gems fuse into Alexandrite she does not have any wedding attire yet all of the Gems are still wearing their attire for the wedding.
- While it is unknown if the other Gems' wedding attire is physical clothing or just a transformation, Garnet's attire is presumably shapeshifted (as Ruby and Sapphire's outfits merge into Garnet's attire when they fuse).
- When Steven told Peridot and Lapis to “hang in there”, after giving the Gems and Connie wisdom to stay strong while fighting the Diamonds, the ring on Lapis' gem doesn't appear.
- When Blue Diamond launches her attack at all the Gems, before and after Steven puts his shield up, Lapis is nowhere to be seen.
- However, right after, Lapis uses her water locks to stop Blue from attacking.
View the episode's transcript here.