- This article is about the episode, Rose's Room. For the location, see Rose's Room (place), or for the song, see Rose's Room (song).
Then what do you want, Steven?
|—Tiny Floating Whale in Rose's Room|
The episode begins with Steven finishing off a can of cream corn. The Gems warp in, and Steven excitedly tells them that he has eaten 4 cans of cream corn due to there being a five dollar coupon for mini-golf, because he wants to go with them. Unfortunately, the Gems have to leave on a mission and cannot hang out with Steven. He decides to play Golf Quest Mini to pass the time and ends up beating the final boss. Just as the Gems return from their mission, Steven reaches a secret ending cut scene in the game. The girls unintentionally distract Steven while he is watching the video (Amethyst blocking his view, Garnet show an ancient object called the Wailing Stone they found, and Pearl explaining what it does). Amethyst presses the button on the Wailing Stone which produces a deafening sound wave and causes Steven's TV to break. Pearl deactivates it and then proceeds to scold Amethyst, but Amethyst claims that Steven loved the Wailing Stone. As they yell, Steven vents his frustration of not being able to control anything in his life (not getting to play mini-golf game, not seeing the secret ending, not being able to stop going to the bathroom after eating all the cans of cream corn). Steven then says that he wishes for a place just for himself; at this, his gem glows and activates the door to his mother's room.
The Gems tell him not to go inside, but he runs in yelling at them about never wanting to do what he wants and claims that he has a place where he is going and that the Gems were not allowed to come. The door to the room seals and disappears, locking the gems out. Steven then proceeds to explore his mother's room. When he notes the lack of a bed, one appears out of nowhere. He realizes the space could give him anything he asks for, after asking for a quadruple bunk-bed with a slide and a tiny floating whale. Steven then asks to watch the secret ending of his game without being interrupted. After he watches the ending again, he starts to feel hungry. The room then gives him a donut, but it disappears into a cloud as he bites it. He then asks for a real donut, but it disappears again. Wanting an actual donut, he walks out of the room to get food, but when he exits the room, the gems are not around.
When he steps out into Beach City, he sees it's night and hardly anyone is on the streets. At the Big Donut, he finds Lars and Sadie creepily standing side by side smiling. The two are unnatural still and unresponsive. When they do talk, they speak stilted dialogue in unison. Steven asks for one donut, but is given a bag of three. Lars and Sadie then slide away. When Steven exits the Big Donut, he finds Onion standing under a streetlight. He offers him a donut, but Onion only moves his eyes. Steven puts it on top of his hair and departs. Steven walks down the boardwalk wondering where everyone is. He passes Beach Citywalk Fries, does a double take, and sees Frybo in the window, who offers him fries. Steven, assuming it's Peedee, attempts to talk to him, but Frybo keeps putting fries through each other in the exact same spot, as if on a loop. Steven gets spooked and leaves to look around some more. He walks around Beach City Funland, passing the rides, and stopping in front of the arcade. Meat Beat Mania instantly turns on, which shocks Steven. He runs towards the beach and sees Connie looking out at the ocean. He's surprised to see her because she's supposed to be out of town. He looks down and sees that the water seems to be looping (only barely touching her boots) and asks her what's happening. Connie turns around and is stuck on a repeat of saying "He was incredible!" Exactly the way she said it in "Bubble Buddies". Steven turns around and sees all the members of Beach City, with their faces drastically simplified. Steven again runs away, but not before seeing Lion, not moving, also with a changed face.
The ground turns into water and he falls through, ending up at his dad's car wash. Mr. Universe comes outside and Steven is relieved to see someone acting like their usual self. Everything finally seems normal again as Steven shares donuts with his dad and explains how he was sorry that he yelled at the Gems and was just feeling left behind. Greg comforts Steven with some words of wisdom. However, when Steven wonders about the current state of Beach City, Greg starts reciting ill-suited platitudes. Steven realizes somethings still wrong. He bites into the donut and it disappears. He now realized he has been in the room this whole time. Upon his realization Beach City and everything in it starts disappearing in large chunks. He runs up the cliff overlooking the town, but falls into oblivion as everything disappears, where Steven whimpers that he does not want this. The Tiny Floating whale reappears, and asks him what he does want in a serene voice, to which he concludes that he wants to be back with the Gems.
Steven finally falls out of the room, and lands on Garnet back in the house. Steven tests if it's really her by chomping on her forearm. Garnet responds with "ow", and Amethyst joyously follows with chomping on Pearl who shrieks in surprise. Steven recounts that the room tried to recreate a whole town to the astounded Gems. Pearl states that this is beyond its capability, and expresses relief for Steven's well being. Steven apologizes for snapping at them earlier, revealing that he now understands that he can't get everything he wants all the time. The Gems apologize as well, but the four of them go mini-golfing with their newly aquirred free time (Garnet even wears Greg's golf pants.) The episode ends with Steven exclaiming he "always gets what he wants," before the usual cut to black.
- Rose Quartz (Mentioned)
- Greg Universe (Cloud)
- Sadie (Cameo, cloud)
- Cloud Connie (Debut)
- Lars (Cameo, cloud)
- Onion (Cameo, cloud)
- Lion (Non-Roaring Cameo, cloud)
- Frybo (Non-Speaking, cloud)
- Fryman (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- Mr. Smiley (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- Kiki (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- Jenny (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- Sour Cream (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- Buck Dewey (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- Mayor Bill Dewey (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- Jamie (Non-Speaking Cameo, cloud)
- The show's longest hiatus to date began after this episode, lasting nearly 13 weeks until Coach Steven.
- In the later parts of the episode, the simplified character "statues" in Rose's Room resemble the characters' distance models used by the Steven Universe crew.
- The lion's face on top of the Lion Lickers freezer in the Big Donut has a changed expression with closed eyes and a somber face.
- The character that is the most detailed in the room other than Steven is Greg Universe, Steven's father. This may be because Rose Quartz actually knew Greg, his sayings, and mannerisms, so it is easier for the room to make an accurate copy of him.
- The room seems to behave like a computer, albiet limited to handling small tasks, this may be why Greg Universe and the carwash weren't so different from their actual counterparts. This could also explain why Beach City along with most of it's inhabitants were acting up, the room was "glitching".
- It seems unusual for the other Crystal Gems not to enter Rose's Room considering that other gems can enter. This could be because the Gems had to warp somewhere else.
- The Tiny Floating Whale can be a reference to Mini Moose from Invader Zim.
- The secret ending Steven's videogame can be a reference to the Adventure Time episode Escape from the Citadel when Finn meets his dad, Martin.
- The Mini Golf game is a combination the games of Pokémon, EarthBound, The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy
- The potato chips Steven is eating while playing the Mini Golf Game have a similar logo to Utz Potato Chips
- In the picture, we can see a Two-Headed Duck from Adventure Time in the Keep Beach City Weird advertisement.
- When Steven starts playing his video game, Prof. Sandtraps says "It's dangerous to go alone take this" which is a reference to The Legend of Zelda.
- Prof. Sandtraps bears a resemblance to Dr. Robotnik from the Sonic the Hedgehog series.
- Rose's room was first seen in "Together Breakfast", when Steven was sliding down the Crystal Heart's vein (Steven says "This isn't so bad," in a room with a pink background filled with light pink clouds for a short time). Rose's room appears again in "Steven and the Stevens". The room's most recent appearance was in "Open Book".
- Part of the Rose's Room song can be heard in "Together Breakfast".
- The Wailing Stone in this episode also appeared in Season 1B's "The Message".
- This episode features many past episode references, such as Connie and her bracelet from "Bubble Buddies", Frybo from "Frybo", Meat Beat Mania from "Arcade Mania", Lion Lickers from "Gem Glow", and many "one time/minor" characters from previous episodes like Jenny, Sour Cream, Mayor Dewey, Jamie, Mr. Smiley, Fryman, Kiki, and Buck Dewey.
Click here for transcript.