|This article is about Rubies. You may be looking for another Ruby.|
- Main article: Caste System
Rubies are a type of soldier caste. Garnet describes them as "common", seeing as they are all originally identical to one another. They appear to be used as personal escorts and bodyguards for high-ranking Gems; typically Sapphires. Seeing as they are so numerous, inferred from Ruby's comment of there being "tons" of her, Rubies are considered somewhat unimportant and highly expendable grunts, though they compensate by fusing together into bigger constructs of themselves. Rubies are also sent to different planets to seek out specific Gems. As Rubies are merely common soldiers they are not very intelligent, having been easily fooled by Steven's claims that Jasper was on Neptune and Amethyst's obvious disguise as Jasper and according to Holly Blue Agate are seen as being incompetent or irresponsible. In the Steven Universe Podcast, Rebecca says the Rubies' main strength on Homeworld is their ability to combine; a Ruby would never be sent alone to do anything. Rubies are not supposed to have different personalities; the fact that they do "flies under the radar" because they act serious around higher-ranking Gems.
Rubies are short in size with boxy body shapes and large square shaped afro-like hair. While they can have slightly different shades of skin tone and hair color, they have no other real physical differences between them.
Most Homeworld Rubies serving Yellow Diamond wear the standard uniform, although the Rubies Doc and Navy are an exception. Some Homeworld Rubies wear very basic uniforms with no clear insignia on them, though so far no reason why this is has been given.
- Ruby - A Ruby that remains fused with Sapphire as Garnet, a current member of the Crystal Gems.
- Ruby-1F4 Cut-4ND ("Eyeball") - A known Ruby sent to retrieve Jasper, another veteran of the Gem war on Earth; a witness who testified against Steven in his trial.
- "Army" - A known Ruby sent to retrieve Jasper.
- "Navy" - A known Ruby sent to retrieve Jasper, who would later steal the Roaming Eye after deceiving the Crystal Gems.
- "Leggy" - A known Ruby sent to retrieve Jasper.
- "Doc" - A known Ruby sent to retrieve Jasper and the leader of the "Ruby Squad".
Two Rubies appear in Garnet's flashback in "The Answer". They were sent (along with the Crystal Gem Ruby) to Earth to escort Sapphire to Blue Diamond. They were poofed by Pearl, and their fates are unknown.
They appear to be identical to the Crystal Gem Ruby and each other in appearance, clothing, and voice. Both Rubies seem to be obsessed with fighting.
They have identical gemstones in different locations.
This Ruby's gemstone is placed on her right shoulder.
This Ruby's gemstone is placed on the back of her right hand.
Rhodonite's component Ruby
Several Rubies are seen attending the "Era 3 Ball" in "Together Alone", accompanying various Sapphires.
The Rubies salute "Pink Diamond" (Steven), and many Sapphires appear later at the dance.
|Image||Gemstone||Physical Information||Other Info|
Her gemstone is located on her right shoulder.
|She has orange-red skin and reddish-brown hair.||In "Together Alone", she attends the "Era 3 Ball". She salutes "Pink Diamond" and is seen dancing with the other Rubies.|
Her gemstone is located on her right cheek.
|She has orange-red skin and reddish-brown hair.||In "Together Alone", she attends the "Era 3 Ball". She salutes "Pink Diamond".|
Her gemstone is located on her right thigh.
|She has cherry skin and burgundy hair.||In "Together Alone", she attends the "Era 3 Ball". She salutes "Pink Diamond" and is seen dancing with the other Rubies. She watches as Steven and Connie begin to dance, and she appears concerned when Stevonnie and Garnet form.|
Her gemstone is located on her left forearm.
|She has scarlet skin and burgundy hair.||In "Together Alone", she attends the "Era 3 Ball". She salutes "Pink Diamond".|
Her gemstone is located on the back of her right hand.
|She has light-red skin and maroon hair. She has a Yellow Diamond insignia on her uniform.||In "Together Alone", she attends the "Era 3 Ball". She is seen dancing with the other Rubies. She watches as Steven and Connie begin to dance, and she appears shocked when Stevonnie, Garnet, and Opal form.|
Their gemstone placements are unknown.
|They have scarlet skin and maroon hair.||
In "Together Alone", they attend the "Era 3 Ball". They appear shocked when Pearl and Amethyst fuse and Opal forms. It's possible that they are previously seen Rubies, as the back hand Ruby is next to them when seen and in previous shots, they were leg and shoulder Rubies. Their outfits lack a diamond insignia, possibly due to an animation error.
Three Rubies are shown in the opening credits serving as bodyguards for Nanefua Pizza. They wear black suits and sunglasses, typical to how a normal human bodyguard would dress.
- Ruby (Triple Fusion) - The fusion of all three Rubies in "The Answer", one of which is the Crystal Gem, Ruby. As their individual forms and gemstones are the same, their fusion remains identical except much larger in size. In this form, they are much more powerful. However, the actual extent of their strength in this form remains unclear because they fought against Rose Quartz, who is actually Pink Diamond in disguise. The Crystal Gem Ruby describes the fusion as just "me, but bigger," implying the state of being is not that different for her unfused.
- Rubies are in the lower class of the Gem hierarchy as foot soldiers, although in reality, rubies are nearly as rare and valuable as a diamond.
- Most of them are not very intelligent, with the exception of Crystal Gem Ruby, Navy, and to a certain extent Doc and Eyeball.
- ↑ The Steven Universe Podcast Homeworld Gems - Rebecca Sugar, Ian Jones-Quartey, Erica Luttrell, Joe Johnston, and Hilary Florido (Vol.2/Ep.8)