Sardonyx is the featured article of this month, which means it was considered to be one of the best articles Steven Universe Wiki has to offer, as determined by the contributors.
Template:Sardonyx "Sardonyx" is the fusion of Pearl and Garnet (or, by extension, Ruby and Sapphire), who appeared in the third StevenBomb event. She made her debut in "Cry for Help" and also has a brief cameo in "Friend Ship"
Sardonyx towers in size. She has reddish-brown skin and peach cream-colored hair, styled into a tetrahedron with very rounded corners. Her torso and legs greatly resemble Garnet's, but have less mass. As a fusion, she has four arms and inherits the same locations of her gemstones as her fused cooperators. She wears a black, tailcoat tuxedo-leotard with a tangerine bow tie and a small, black star. The underside of the tail of her tailcoat is the same shade of tangerine as her bow tie. She wears two-toned, purple-gray leggings under crimson tips surrounding the top part of her feet. On her first set of arms, she wears white gloves, exposing her hands with the exception of a white covering on her middle finger(s). On her second set of arms, located on her abdomen, she wears white gloves that closely resemble Sapphire's gloves that extend to her elbows.
She wears round shades that resemble Alexandrite's, but are slightly transparent and tinted with a red hue, which reveals that Sardonyx has four eyes, two on the bottom which are large and round, and two on the top which are thin, small, and narrow. All four eyes are a reddish color. Sardonyx appears to have a small gap between her front teeth. Her face is rather triangular, and her feet have small, pink diamonds on them.
What's this? An encore performance? Just couldn't get enough of me, could you?
|—Sardonyx, "Cry for Help"|
Sardonyx appears to have a combination of Garnet and Pearl's personalities, acting very enthusiastic and upbeat while also being acutely articulate and speaking decidedly theatrically. Her mannerisms are dramatic in the theatrical sense, conversing with her peers in a matter similar to how a master of ceremonies would to her audience, fitting with her formal dress appearance. She seems to be snarky and witty, often laughs at her own jokes, and remarks in a very pompous and comedic manner. She thinks very highly of herself and can be rather cocky at times, although she seems to also be considerate of other people as well as her surroundings. Sardonyx can also be serious at times in dangerous situations.
Oh my stars! If it isn't Steven Universe, we finally meet! So what do you think? Was I worth the wait?
|—Sardonyx to Steven, "Cry for Help"|
Sardonyx, like the rest of the Crystal Gems, has a positive opinion of Steven, as she interacted with Steven frequently, was happy to meet him, embraced him, and called him a "sweet little charmer". Sardonyx has shown that she is quite fond of Steven, telling him jokes and performing tricks. She even compares herself to the more destructive Sugilite to impress him even more. While doing this she shows off her anatomy manipulation, precision with her weapon, and names off the qualities about herself that counter Sugilite's.
Hm... 'smash' is the word one would use to describe what.. someone else might do.
|—Sardonyx, "Cry for Help"|
- War Hammer Proficiency: Sardonyx can combine Garnet's gauntlets and put them on the end of Pearl's spear facing outwards to make a hammer. Her use of the war hammer is methodical in approach. She uses precise, keen strikes on specific areas to maximize damage while minimizing effort. She describes herself and therefore fighting style as "specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful"(and is sometimes known to smash).
- Drill Transformation: By rapidly spinning the top part of her hammer, Sardonyx is able to transform her weapon into a drill that could easily break through the walls of the Ancient Gem Colony Ship that Garnet's gauntlets and Pearl's spear alone could not even dent.
- Anatomy Manipulation: Sardonyx has been shown to have "doll joints", body segments that have full rotation independent of the rest of her body. During her initial attack on the rebuilt Communication Hub she was seen to spin her upper body above the sash while talking to Steven, her sash arms are seen moving separate from the rest of her body throughout the scene, and during the final strike her entire body is spinning on one joint while her feet remain pointed up and immobile.
- Enhanced Calculations: Sardonyx is able to knock out the correct pillars to make sure the hub did not collapse until she wanted it to. She may have inherited this from Garnet, who mentions her ability to sense structural integrity in "Cheeseburger Backpack".
- As with Garnet, it is currently unknown whether this is a unique power or or just a simple observation.
- Sardonyx was announced in a Crewniverse Tumblr post.
- She was revealed in a clip shown at the official Adventure Time/Steven Universe panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2015.
- Sardonyx is the fifth Gem to be named after a type of quartz.
- Steven's Spanish-language voice actor, Leisha Medina, confirmed Sardonyx would appear in "Cry for Help".
- The shape of Sardonyx's hair greatly resembles that of Peridot's.
- Peridot's hair, however, is more pointed and angular.
- This may be a reference to both being birthstones for August.
- Sardonyx's debut has many callbacks to Sugilite's debut.
- In "Coach Steven", Garnet says, "We don't need to be careful, we just need to be huge" to justify fusing with Amethyst instead of Pearl. In "Cry for Help", Garnet tells Pearl, "What we need now is to be careful.".
- When Garnet asks Amethyst to fuse in "Coach Steven", Amethyst is excited and Pearl is grumpy and disappointed. When Garnet asks Pearl to fuse in "Cry for Help", the roles are reversed.
- When Sugilite forms, a red dragon silhouette appears, breathing out black flames which grow to form Sugilite's body. When Sardonyx forms, she appears in a pillar of light which turns into a curtain and then splits apart into a cloud of dragonflies.
- In "Coach Steven", Steven asks Sugilite if she's going to smash things with her weapon. In "Cry for Help" Steven asks Sardonyx the same question.
- Sardonyx's appearance and behavior contrasts with Sugilite: she has Pearl's thin build (mixed with Garnet's curvaceous traits), graceful moves, well-kept hair and wears an elegant attire; also, she asked how everybody was doing just after she finished forming. Sugilite, on the other hand, has Amethyst's heavy build (again mixed with Garnet's curves), moves somewhat brutishly, has a wild hairstyle, and wears punk themed clothes; her first words after forming showed her egoist persona. Also, Sugilite's visors are pointed, where as Sardonyx's are rounded.
- Also, if you listen closely during the formation of Sardonyx, you can hear that some of the same sound effects were used for the formation of Sugilite.
- It is the third time that Steven dubs a fusion, "Giant Woman".
- Sardonyx's outfit unusually features both diamonds and stars, with pink diamonds on her shoes, and a black star on her chest. Whether the diamonds are meaningful or not is unknown.
- Sardonyx asks Steven if she was "worth the wait," referencing how long it took Sardonyx to appear in the show.
- Sardonyx's design has a lot of similarities to Garnet's from the "Pilot" episode, such as the colors of their outfits, and egg-shaped sleeves.
- According to Matt Burnett, Garnet and Pearl fused into Sardonyx with a hand-based dance in "Friend Ship".
- Sardonyx is the only fusion of Garnet whose eyes are visible from the outer side of the shades.
- Her top set of eyes act like eyebrows.
- This is also shown on Malachite.
- It is confirmed that Sardonyx will appear in future episodes, along with Alexandrite.
- Sardonyx can be formed if Ruby and Sapphire aren't Garnet; this is confirmed by Matt Burnett.
- The pink diamond design on her shoes is also on Pearl's outfit in "Space Race" though on the middle of her torso.
- Fans have noted there are many similarities between Sardonyx, and the PlatinumGames character Bayonetta. Both pose dramatically in front of the moon before performing an attack, both are classy and self confident, graceful yet incredibly strong, and both have a fondness for children (Bayonetta with Cereza & Loki, Sardonyx with Steven). They both taunt before finishing off their targets, and both have the same snarky means of addressing bystanders during battle.
- Her outfit is similar to traditional mid-20th century stage magician, show hostess, and Broadway dancer costumes.
- The way she appears (pulling and opening a curtain that explodes into dragonflies) also plays into her stage magician theme.
- Also when she summons Pearl's spear and Garnet's gauntlets to create the war hammer, her actions resemble that of a performer.
- It fits in perfectly with the way she talks, how she acts, and her personality, evocative of that type of entertainer.
- Her showman-like personality is in many ways similar to Ruby Rhod, Chris Tucker's character in The Fifth Element.
- Based on her quote "But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.", fans jokingly asked Matt Burnett who Sardonyx's Main in Super Smash Bros. was, to which he replied "King Dedede", a character in the game who also uses a giant hammer.
- Sardonyx's hairstyle resembles an onigiri rice ball. This is referenced in a sketch by Hilary Florido.
- Sardonyx's de-fusion resembles smokebombs used by magicians for magic tricks.
- Sardonyx is constantly doing the Noblewoman's Laugh.
- Sardonyx's upper set of eyes appear to be partly off her face. This is a common feature of cartoon characters with glasses, particularly in comedic shows.
- The war hammer Sardonyx holds has a star at the end, resembling that of a magician's wand.
- The fusion dance of Pearl and Garnet for Sardonyx was based on the KPOP artist Sunmi's music video Full Moon. 
- Sardonyx is a type of micro-crystalline quartz, specifically onyx, banded with browns, reds, or yellows instead of black.
- Onyx and sardonyx are types of agate, which is the gemstone of those with the sign Gemini.
- Sardonyx is closely related to onyx, sard, and carnelian. Banded agate with more blacks or grays is generally classified as onyx, whereas banded agate with more browns, reds, yellows, or oranges is generally classified as sardonyx. Solid red or reddish-brown agate is generally classified as sard or carnelian, depending on the shade.
- Sardonyx, as with many other gemstones, can also appear as other colors, such as green and purple.
- The name sardonyx itself is an amalgamation of its composition, the two minerals ‘sard’ and ‘onyx’.
- Sardonyx is said to enhance willpower, vitality, confidence, stamina, integrity and optimism as well as bring happiness and stability to marriages.
- Sardonyx's personality and behavior, as well as Pearl's description of being fused with Garnet, seems to match perfectly with the attributes of her gemstone.
- Sardonyx is an alternate birthstone of August, whereas the official birthstone is peridot.
|Pearl's gemstone on Sardonyx, completely smooth without facets.|
|Ruby's gemstone on Sardonyx, featuring a square facet. It is a decahedron.|
|Sapphire's gemstone on Sardonyx, featuring a triangular facet. It is an octahedron.|
- ↑ http://stevencrewniverse.tumblr.com/post/121989031777/mark-your-calendars-stevenbomb-3-begins-july-13
- ↑ https://twitter.com/LeishaMedina/status/617499514295881728
"esperaremos un poco si porque será enel episodio 64.faltan bastantes semanas para su estreno pero ya conocimos a #sardonyx"
rough translation: "Already seen Sardonyx, but we'll have to wait a few weeks for Episode 64"
Note: She lists Keystone Motel as "episode 65", so, from the context, she clearly meant "the episode before Keystone Motel".
- ↑ https://twitter.com/LeishaMedina/status/618478620504399872
"Nunca dije que aparecería en el 65 keystone motel. En keystone motel no sale #sardonyx ."
rough translation: "I never said she'd appear in episode 65 (Keystone Motel)"
Note: Keystone Motel is Episode 64 in North American airing order.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/mcburnett/status/622236952159350784
- ↑ http://joethejohnston.tumblr.com/post/125103283628/how-did-garnet-change-colors-when-ruby-and
- ↑ https://twitter.com/mcburnett/status/624291590568345600
- ↑ https://twitter.com/mcburnett/status/621113310746820608?lang=en
- ↑ http://joethejohnston.tumblr.com/post/124051239362/here-are-my-timed-out-storyboards-for-pearl-and