"What a BEA-TI-FUL day!"
As a fusion, Smoky Quartz adopts Steven's and Amethyst's personalities. In this case, Smoky Quartz has a proud, carefree, and somewhat cocky attitude. They also have a humorous and relaxed side to their personality with a tendency to make jokes, even in the heat of battle. They restored some confidence to Amethyst, who had become depressed and unmotivated after being poofed at the hands of Jasper.
They are extremely confident in battle because of their cooperators' trust in one another, and as a result, they are a moderately stable fusion. However, they can defuse when under stress or intense emotion, as shown upon witnessing the beginning of Jasper's corruption.
Smoky Quartz has three arms (one right arm and two left arms), a dark mauve complexion, bushy eyebrows, and six peach freckles on their cheeks and shoulders. Their hair is a shorter version of Amethyst's. However, the color closely resembles Steven's. Their hair covers their left eye. They are slightly taller than Jasper and have a large, wide build which stems from both Steven and Amethyst. Their left arm splits into two arms at the elbow. They have plump lips, a small nose, and a round face. Smoky wears two crop-top shirts, one similar to Amethyst's, and one that resembles Steven's. Steven's shirt is noticeably stretched due to Smoky Quartz's size.
Their outfit is similar to Stevonnie's, combining the outfits of their cooperators. In their case, Smoky Quartz has a pale mauve version of Amethyst's tank top under an off-shoulder tank top that resembles Steven's shirt, along with Steven's pants, and Amethyst's dark mauve boots and leggings. The gemstones of their cooperators are located on their chest and navel.
Smoky Quartz possesses standard Gem abilities and traits, including shapeshifting, fusion, and the ability to summon a weapon.
- Yo-yo Proficiency: Smoky Quartz can transform Steven's shield and Amethyst's whip into a multicolored yo-yo. They can use this to swing from and to different platforms as well as to attack opponents, and wrap it around objects. Smoky Quartz can use up to three yo-yos at once (one for each arm).
- Yo-yo Spin: Smoky Quartz can spin themselves rapidly, causing their yo-yo to swing very quickly, which can be used as an offensive maneuver.
- Yo-yo Fans: Smoky Quartz is capable of spinning their yo-yo(s) with great speed, creating strong enough winds to push back a heavy-built Gem like Jasper. With all three, even the Unknown Quartz Fusion (Jasper while fused with a corrupted Quartz) was lifted into the air, forming a mini-sand tornado in the process.
- Speed of Descent Regulation: Smoky Quartz was shown as able to land softly from a great height.
"Forget your name; you've got a fight to win!"
|—- Peridot, "Earthlings"|
There has been limited interaction between Peridot and Smoky Quartz, but it is shown that Peridot is very supportive in their fight, attempting to use her ferrokinesis to dislodge a piece of scrap metal to help them defeat Jasper. She also cheers Smoky on and laughs when they hit Jasper with their Yo-Yo.
"Is fusion the only trick you Crystal Gems know?!"
|—- Jasper, "Earthlings"|
Upon first seeing Smoky Quartz, Jasper commented that fusion was the only tactic the Crystal Gems had. After realizing she could not win against them, she exclaimed that she would not lose against yet another fusion. Ironically, this incited her to fuse with a Corrupted Gem, which ultimately leads to her own corruption.
|1. "Super Watermelon Island":||Absent||13. "Kiki's Pizza Delivery Service":||Absent|
|2. "Gem Drill":||Absent||14. "Monster Reunion":||Absent|
|3. "Same Old World":||Absent||15. "Alone at Sea":||Absent|
|4. "Barn Mates":||Absent||16. "Greg the Babysitter":||Absent|
|5. "Hit the Diamond":||Absent||17. "Gem Hunt":||Absent|
|6. "Steven Floats":||Absent||18. "Crack the Whip":||Absent|
|7. "Drop Beat Dad":||Absent||19. "Steven vs. Amethyst":||Absent|
|8. "Mr. Greg":||Absent||20/21. "Bismuth":||Absent|
|9. "Too Short to Ride":||Absent||22. "Beta":||Absent|
|10. "The New Lars":||Absent||23. "Earthlings":||Debut|
|11. "Beach City Drift":||Absent||24. "Back to the Moon":||Absent|
|12. "Restaurant Wars":||Absent||25. "Bubbled":||Absent|
- Their voice actress, Natasha Lyonne, was revealed in the credits roll of "Restaurant Wars".
- Smoky Quartz is Steven's first fusion with a Gem.
- It's still unknown how Smoky Quartz would look if Rose and Amethyst fuse, since Smoky Quartz seen in "Earthlings" is 25% human.
- Smoky Quartz is the first fusion seen on the show that has three arms, and the first gem to have an odd number of arms.
- Smoky Quartz wears a tank top version of Steven's shirt and denim shorts, very similar to Stevonnie.
- Before Smoky Quartz was formed, a smoke mushroom cloud appeared, similar to Sugilite's Dragon and Sardonyx's Dragonflies.
- This could be because the actual smoky quartz gemstone contains radioactive elements which cause the coloration.
- When Steven and Amethyst defuse, they phase apart. Amethyst converts to light like a pure gem and Steven retains his organic form and simply splits away from Amethyst. Their voices also overlap.
- Smoky Quartz's weapon is the first weapon not to be medieval themed, as it is a yo-yo.
- When Smoky Quartz's combined Steven and Amethyst's weapons to form their yo-yo, they summoned Amethyst's original whip set, not Bismuth's upgraded flail variation.
- Smoky Quartz's left arms aren't both full arms; instead starting out as one arm before splitting at the elbow.
- Smoky quartz ranges in color from light grayish-brown to deep black.
- Smoky quartz can be opaque, but is almost always transparent to translucent, even when in its darkest color shade.
- Smoky quartz is a very common gemstone, with not much importance in history. Only in very recent times has it become popular.
- Smoky quartz is considered an efficient gemstone for cleansing and healing. It is believed to ward off negativity.
- Smoky quartz is located all throughout the world. Major deposits include Brazil, Madagascar, Mozambique, Australia, Switzerland, Scotland, and the United States of America.
|Amethyst's gemstone on Smoky Quartz features a hexagonal facet. It is a tetradecahedron, specifically a truncated hexagonal dipyramid.|
|Steven's gemstone on Smoky Quartz features a pentagonal facet. It is a dodecahedron, specifically a truncated pentagonal dipyramid.|