|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the soundtrack.|
May the worst Gem lose!
|—Steven and Amethyst|
Garnet and Pearl warp back from their mission to look for Jasper. Steven comes up to them to tell them that Jasper showed up with the two Gem Monsters she captured in "Crack the Whip" and that he and Connie fused into Stevonnie and were able to defeat her. Pearl first worries about Steven fighting without them, but then feels happy that he was able to use his training to fight off Jasper. Both Garnet and Pearl are very proud of how Steven and Connie forced Jasper back into the ocean. Garnet and Pearl then show concern about Amethyst, who they see has reformed since her appearance is different, suggesting she was poofed while fighting Jasper. Amethyst is feeling down because of how Jasper taunted her for being defective.
Later, Pearl and Steven walk towards the Warp Pad to start Steven's weekly training at the Ancient Sky Arena. She explains that they have to train harder now that Jasper has returned. Steven notices Amethyst sulking and throwing eggs into the garbage disposal and invites her to watch him train. She declines his offer, saying she is "busy making egg salad", but decides to tag along after Steven mentions Pearl's new training system, "Pearl Points". Pearl explains that one can receive Pearl Points by having punctuality, perseverance, and positivity. Getting enough Pearl Points allows one to choose a reward from "Pearl's Prize Pouch", which Steven obtained joke glasses from during the previous week's training session. Amethyst decides she wants to train with Steven and competes with him in three training tests.
For the first test, they both must race from one edge of the arena to the other, high-fiving a Holo-Pearl set up at the brink of the arena to mark their lap. They will have to do two laps to finish and whoever finishes first will get a Pearl Point. Steven and Amethyst seem to be pretty evenly matched during the first lap, but Steven pulls ahead and wins in the second lap. Amethyst seems to be discouraged by this loss, but Pearl believes Amethyst lost on purpose to boost Steven's confidence. Amethyst goes along with Pearl's statement, so she does not let on that she is disappointed and upset.
The second test is to train their agility. Four Holo-Pearls are set up to shoot their spears at Steven and Amethyst, and they must dodge the lasers as best as they can. Just as in the first test, it seems Steven and Amethyst are both equally agile, but then Steven summons his shield and destroys the Holo-Pearls. Amethyst is again disappointed by her loss, while Steven is awarded another Pearl Point. She becomes even more upset when Pearl suggests she is going easy on Steven again. For the third and final challenge, Steven and Amethyst have to battle five Holo-Pearls. Amethyst takes out one of the Holo-Pearls, but Steven defeats four in one throw of his Boomerang Shield, winning the last Pearl Point. While Pearl is congratulating Steven, he notices Amethyst is upset about losing to him.
Back in the house, Steven is playing video games while wearing a Jester's hat that he presumably got from Pearl's Prize Pouch. He sees Amethyst back at the garbage disposal eating eggs and mayo and asks her to play Lonely Blade with him. She reluctantly agrees. Steven advises her that she should pick the new costume, Blue Lonely Blade. The game starts, and Steven pretends to have a hard time playing and lets Amethyst win, thinking it will cheer her up. Amethyst knows Steven purposely lost and gets angry at him. They argue back and forth: Amethyst seems to be angry that Steven is so much better than her at everything and Steven is upset that the Gems have all been training him to be stronger, but now Amethyst is mad at him for being stronger. Amethyst then explains that she is not angry at Steven, but at herself, because she feels she sucks at everything. Steven tries to tell her how she is better than him, and he is the worst Gem. They eventually decide to fight to determine who is the worst Gem.
Steven and Amethyst warp back to the Sky Arena to start their battle. Amethyst grabs Steven with her whips, but he summons his bubble and breaks free. She then grabs the bubble with her whips and throws Steven into the pillars of the arena, but Steven adds spikes to his bubble, unlocking another ability. Amethyst remarks how he is obviously better because adding spikes is a cool move, but Steven argues it is not cool because it was a complete accident. They continue fighting, getting exhausted and worn out. During the fight, Amethyst reveals her desire to beat Jasper when she expresses her incompetence at not being able to defeat Steven. He immediately objects, arguing that she is more than capable of beating him.
Eventually, they both throw a punch at each other, but miss completely and fall to the ground. They start to laugh when they realize how much was done to prove that they are the worst Gem. Steven jokingly asks "What's wrong with us?", to which Amethyst replies her fault is the fact that, despite everyone's positive attitude and encouragement, she feels she is just too small and can not be the Gem she is supposed to be. Steven explains how he completely understands what she means because he is not his mother like everyone expects him to be, which is why he has been training so hard to master his powers and become stronger. Amethyst replies that it is paying off. Steven helps Amethyst up as Pearl shows up and angrily yells at them for destroying the Ancient Arena. Steven says they probably will not see the prize pouch for a while.
- Steven Universe
- Jasper (mentioned)
- Connie Maheswaran (mentioned)
- Stevonnie (mentioned)
- Lion (mentioned)
- Rose Quartz (mentioned)
- Ocean Jasper (mentioned)
- Biggs Jasper/Orange Great North Monster (mentioned)
- This episode's name was first revealed in the episode listing on the Cartoon Network website.
- When Steven and Amethyst are choosing which character to play as for Lonely Blade, one of the playable characters is a polar bear resembling Ice Bear from Cartoon Network's We Bare Bears and another resembling Mokujin from Tekken.
- When Steven and Amethyst are playing Lonely Blade, Amethyst is seen holding a [[w:c:nintendo:Nintendo GameCube controller|Gamecube controller which says "DOLPHIN", a reference to the codename of the Gamecube, the console Steven and Amethyst are using, or to the emulator of the same name.
- Steven executing a flying kick on Amethyst is a reference to the Rider Kick, a signature flying kick used as a finishing move by various heroes in the Japanese superhero franchise Kamen Rider.
- Amethyst is wearing her new outfit from her regeneration in "Crack the Whip".
- Amethyst's feelings of doubt return from "On the Run" and "Too Far".
- Holo-Pearl reappears since its last appearance in "Sworn to the Sword".
- It is now upgraded to Version 2.000001, most likely as a result of the events of "Steven the Sword Fighter" and "Sworn to the Sword".
- When Steven throws his shield at the Holo-Pearls, he yells "Boomerang Shield!" This is a reference to Lonely Blade's Boomerang Blade technique.
- Steven telling Amethyst that he is not Rose Quartz calls back to the feelings he talked about during "Joy Ride".
- In "A Single Pale Rose", "Pearl Points" can be found in the "S" category (as "sticker") inside of Pearl's gemstone.
- Note: Time is displayed in [mm:ss]; [00:00] refers to the point after the title card is displayed and before the episode's start.
- [05:31] The logo on Amethyst's controller does not appear.
- [06:12] When Steven holds up one of the controllers, it says "SUMY". After Amethyst puts down the same controller, it says "DOLPHIN".
- [09:00] When Steven accidentally throws the rock at Amethyst during the fight scene, Amethyst's star patches are colored her skin tone rather than gray.
View the episode's transcript here.