FANDOM


  • The "gemstone" section  on a character's infobox is indicitative of what type of gemstone they have, not their name or the name of. This means that only the first word would be capitalized.

    For example: Watermelon Tourmaline is the Gem, their gemstone is a watermelon tourmaline.

    Stevonnie's gemstone is a pink diamond. "Pink" is capitalized in the info box only because it is the first word in that sentence.

      Loading editor
    • except that setup really needs to be changed, its based upon their gemstone type IN THE SHOW, not their real world inspiration, hence why Rose Quartz is listed as Pink Diamond, despite technically being inspired by both stones

      i really can't do anything if you all are gonna make it this way, but its really wrong, their gemstone should refer to their in universe gem classification/name, not the real world rock they're based on, that's different (if that's how we were doing it than technically White Diamond should just say Diamond, since real-world gem traders don't call them white diamonds, but it says White Diamond because that's her gemstone typing and name in universe)

        Loading editor
    • Stevonnie's gemstone is a Pink Diamond, an animate stone possessing living properties that exists within the show's mythos, not a pink diamond, an inanimate stone that exists in the real world, they are different, Pink Diamond is capitalized for the same reason that Flask Robonoid is capitalized, its a piece of alien technology/life with an identified name, which serves as a proper noun

      i'm just trying to make the wiki as quality and series-accurate as possible but i guess if this is how everyone wants it done i can't stop them, but it is still canonically and factually wrong, so that's something to consider

      tl;dr if the wiki all decided they wanted to say that spinel is blue i guess i can't stop them but i'm still going to present the facts: spinel is, in fact, not blue

        Loading editor
    • Garnet isn't a garnet.

        Loading editor
    • the show never explicitly said the difference between capitalized names or rocks.

        Loading editor
    • Bismuth doesn't melt, therefore she isn't simply a real world bismuth

      and yes Garnet is not a Garnet single gem, however it's still her gemstone name, the names of single gems and fusions are two different realms but they both possess awareness of their name by default

        Loading editor
    • yeah the gemstone section really shouldn't be taken off of their pages, they still possess gemstone typings, even if different from single gems, that's why their gemstones change to those colors when fused

        Loading editor
    • really this wiki is having a field day with weird assumptions today

        Loading editor
    • Gems are named after their gemstone, their conciousness is projected through thier physical form. The Gemstone they possess is part of them, but it is not their entire being.

      I do want to thank you for bringing up this topic though! I hadn't realized that the fusions had their gemstones listed as their names! It's been stated that fusions are not the gemstones they name themselves after; that they choose their own name based on coloration. We've decided to remove the gemstone section from fusions and replace it with the 'components' section!

        Loading editor
    • i like the components section, but that whole "names themselves" thing is probably wrong, based on dialogue from Malachite and Smoky Quartz

      technically that means we have conflicting sources, and thus should acknowledge that information is inconclusive, but i feel as though episodes should prioritize over podcasts and other external material

      but i guess not listing the gemstone section makes sense, like how after Emerald was introduced we didn't list her gem type, not because she "has none" but because we genuinely didn't know how that worked, now we have sufficient information to say that the "Beryl Group" is not a thing like the Quartz Group is, but we have several conflicting sources on fusions so we should probably just leave it out, as we don't really know what is correct, but i'm confident that my hypothesis is at least close

        Loading editor
    • but i agree that fusions are not "those gemstones" but rather just colors and names, the only way in which my opinion differs is that i believe we have sufficient evidence to state that those names are innate realizations, not "chosen", so while a Ruby and a Sapphire fused are not a Garnet Group type gem, the fusion would be called Garnet, not something else

      there honestly isn't much support for this in the show itself, but from a creative standpoint i'm confident that if we saw, say, the fusion of crystal gems Ruby and Pearl, it would be Rhodonite, the fusion of Rhodonite and Padparadscha, would be Sardonyx, because giving all of them different fully unique names is just a massive pain and i doubt they'd go down that road as it would overcomplicate something that could just as easily be simple

        Loading editor
    • and yes, the gemstones are objects that they possess, but so are Flask Robonoids, and we capitalize those

      so if one piece of alien techno-biology should not be capitalized, nor should another, it needs to be consistent

        Loading editor
    • While it's unlikely Amethyst or Steven ever saw a Smoky Quartz Gem in order to know of their coloration, it IS very likely that Lapis or Jasper both have seen Malachite Gems before and chose the name based on that, this on top of the word of the creator is why we've decided to take this route.

      It's hard to catch every little edit made by the hundreds of users and some if it is bound to be inadequate and inconsistent, I'll look into it!

        Loading editor
    • i mean yeah they may have seen Malachite gems but i mean they were fighting the whole time, why would they bother "choosing a name" during that, besides the way Lapis says it "we're Malachite now", it doesn't sound like she's "naming the fusion" but more like she's becoming an identity that it came up with on its own accord, it just makes more sense this way

        Loading editor
    • but yeah given the conflicting sources i would say its in our best interest to list such information as unknown, but due to the afformentioned dialogue the "name choosing" thing should not be considered correct and/or fully accurate canon

        Loading editor
    • Sharayna wrote: The "gemstone" section  on a character's infobox is indicitative of what type of gemstone they have, not their name or the name of. This means that only the first word would be capitalized.

      For example: Watermelon Tourmaline is the Gem, their gemstone is a watermelon tourmaline.

      Stevonnie's gemstone is a pink diamond. "Pink" is capitalized in the info box only because it is the first word in that sentence.

      indicative*

        Loading editor
    • SaltyPearl7152 wrote:

      "there honestly isn't much support for this in the show itself, but from a creative standpoint i'm confident that if we saw, say, the fusion of crystal gems Ruby and Pearl, it would be Rhodonite, the fusion of Rhodonite and Padparadscha, would be Sardonyx"

      If padparadscha and rhodonite we fused, they would form a specific type of onyx, because the sardonyx is formed with a sapphire (blue), and obviously a pearl and a ruby.

        Loading editor
    • Sardonyx is not a type of Onyx in real life, but rather a banded Chalcedony consisting of both Sard and Onyx parts

      and i highly doubt the variety of Sapphire would change the name of the fusion, it would simply change the color scheme, as all of Sapphire's fusions are named after gemstones with several color varieties for a reason

        Loading editor
    • SaltyPearl7152 wrote: Sardonyx is not a type of Onyx in real life, but rather a banded Chalcedony consisting of both Sard and Onyx parts

      and i highly doubt the variety of Sapphire would change the name of the fusion, it would simply change the color scheme, as all of Sapphire's fusions are named after gemstones with several color varieties for a reason

      yep

        Loading editor
    • so yeah while TECHNICALLY not confirmed, i feel like its meant to be a clear implication that, say, a Ruby and a Yellow Sapphire fuse into an orange Garnet

        Loading editor
    • SaltyPearl7152 wrote: so yeah while TECHNICALLY not confirmed, i feel like its meant to be a clear implication that, say, a Ruby and a Yellow Sapphire fuse into an orange Garnet

      Sperssatine or hessonite?

        Loading editor
    • SpessartineGarnet By Yellow
      I made a Spessartine Garnet, the fusion of Padparadscha and Eyeball.
        Loading editor
    • Yellow Khwatsi wrote:

      SaltyPearl7152 wrote: so yeah while TECHNICALLY not confirmed, i feel like its meant to be a clear implication that, say, a Ruby and a Yellow Sapphire fuse into an orange Garnet

      Sperssatine or hessonite?

      in my opinion, neither, just orange Garnet

        Loading editor
    • If it were as you say, padparadscha would be named as orange sapphire.

        Loading editor
    • well, just because she has a special name doesn't mean it HAS to contribute to the fusion, fusions aren't exactly predictable

      there aren't any named varieties of Sugilite, so the fusion of a Ruby an Amethyst and a Padparadscha, is Sugilite, i think all fusions would work this way

      a tad boring? maybe, but definitely less confusing

        Loading editor
    • regardless, your Garnet fan design is very cool, i like how she has an orange eye from padparadscha, a brown eye from both of them, and eyeball's gemstone for the left side

        Loading editor
    • thanks!

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.