FANDOM


  • Iudexkoo
    Iudexkoo closed this thread because:
    Vote restarted: http://steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:455856
    06:38, January 1, 2016

    This was suggested to clarify whether we should change the sapphire page to say "cryokinesis" rather than "cold manipulation". I, personally, Symbol oppose vote Oppose, as cryokinesis has a connotation of controlling and moving ice, and we have only shown sapphire creating cold. While the etymology is generally similar, the cold manipulation is specific to what sapphire does and does not have the connotation of controlling ice.

    Use Symbol support vote Support if you would like to make it Cyrokinesis again

    Use Symbol oppose vote Oppose if you would like to keep it as Cold Manipulation

      Loading editor
    • If anyone cares to read, there are some salient points regarding this matter on this thread~

        Loading editor
    • I'm gonna remain Symbol neutral vote Neutral since I'm fine with either

        Loading editor
    • Symbol neutral vote Neutral I don't care

        Loading editor
    • Symbol neutral vote I don't care

        Loading editor
    • Its mostly questions of approval and notes of why it is not necessary to change it after changing it. There were no new points on why to change it from cold manipulation, as it was just saying cryokinesis was similar enough.

        Loading editor
    • Symbol support vote Support

        Loading editor
    • Symbol support vote Support

      I guess.

        Loading editor
    • Sharayna
      Sharayna removed this reply because:
      05:39, January 1, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • There is really no reason to switch it back other than it being slightly longer.

        Loading editor
    • Aptos wrote:
      There is really no reason to switch it back other than it being slightly longer.

      Then there was no reason to switch it to Cold Manipulation in the first place.

        Loading editor
    • Judgekoo wrote:

      Aptos wrote:
      There is really no reason to switch it back other than it being slightly longer.

      Then there was no reason to switch it to Cold Manipulation in the first place.

      ^^^^

        Loading editor
    • First of all, that is not valid reasoning. That was assuming there were no positives to it being cold manipulation, as it was more specific.

        Loading editor
    • Sharayna
      Sharayna removed this reply because:
      05:37, January 1, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Aptos wrote:
      First of all, that is not valid reasoning. That was assuming there were no positives to it being cold manipulation, as it was more specific.

      Cold Manipulation being more specific? Really? And you question my reasoning . . .

        Loading editor
    • Cyrokinesis - 2

      Cold Manipulation - 1

      Neutral - 3

        Loading editor
    • Yes, and I specified why it was questionable in the follow up sentence. Your same argument could be made changing a stub page to a page with more information. And cold manipulation is more specific, less confusing, and is straight forward. Cryokinesis is not a universal word, and some know it as ice manipulation. Cold Manipulation is clear, and most people know them

        Loading editor
    • And if it doesn't matter to you, judgekoo, then why are you trying to change it? It has already been changed, there is no real reason to change it back, and there are reasons to keep it.

        Loading editor
    • Symbol oppose vote Oppose

      (I dont know how to adds templates sorry, i tried didnt work)

        Loading editor
    • Sharayna
      Sharayna removed this reply because:
      05:36, January 1, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Sharayna
      Sharayna removed this reply because:
      05:36, January 1, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Iudexkoo
      Iudexkoo removed this reply because:
      k
      10:02, January 10, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Aptos wrote: Yes, and I specified why it was questionable in the follow up sentence. Your same argument could be made changing a stub page to a page with more information. And cold manipulation is more specific, less confusing, and is straight forward. Cryokinesis is not a universal word, and some know it as ice manipulation. Cold Manipulation is clear, and most people know them

      Cryokinesis is the ability to control cold. Control doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to move, having the power to turn the ability on or off (considering they are not under any emotional distress) is already a form of control.

      Cryokinesis, and to an extent Cold Manipulation, in and of itself, has zero practical uses to their cause. It's practical use comes from it's ability to form ice, which is why both of them are so closely related. When Sapphire was angry, guess what formed on the walls? That's right, ice; more specifically frost.

      Aptos wrote:
      And if it doesn't matter to you, judgekoo, then why are you trying to change it? It has already been changed, there is no real reason to change it back, and there are reasons to keep it.

      And if it doesn't matter to you, why keep letting it stay? This argument also applies to Cold Manipulation btw.

        Loading editor
    • We dont even know if she can control the ability

        Loading editor
    • Cold manipulation has uses. Superconductors, superfluids, etc involve cold without ice. And this does matter to me, irrationally.

        Loading editor
    • Symbol oppose vote Oppose Both

      Temperature Maniulation is probably the best term right now.

        Loading editor
    • And no, cryokinesis is not a common word, and can have connotation of ice manipulation with those who know it. Cold manipulation is straightforward, clear, and no alternative connotations, and is already there

      And cold manipulation, by binary setup, is temperature Manipulation. It is just more specific to how sapphire uses it.

        Loading editor
    • Aptos
      Aptos removed this reply because:
      Unneeded
      05:40, January 1, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Aptos wrote:
      We dont even know if she can control the ability


      ಠ_ಠ D-did you just take down your own argument? Because manipulation in its most simplest definition is to handle or control.

      Aptos wrote: Cold manipulation has uses. Superconductors, superfluids, etc involve cold without ice. And this does matter to me, irrationally.

      Practical uses, bruh. I never said it had zero use.

      Aptos wrote:
      And no, cryokinesis is not a common word, and can have connotation of ice manipulation with those who know it. Cold manipulation is straightforward, clear, and no alternative connotations, and is already there

      And cold manipulation, by binary setup, is temperature Manipulation. It is just more specific to how sapphire uses it.


      At this point I am pretty sure you are just arguing because Cold Manipulation is in english and Cryokinesis is not (Cryo and kinesis coming from the greek words for cold and movement).

        Loading editor
    • Judgekoo wrote:

      Aptos wrote:
      We dont even know if she can control the ability


      ಠ_ಠ D-did you just take down your own argument? Because manipulation in its most simplest definition is to handle or control.

      Aptos wrote: Cold manipulation has uses. Superconductors, superfluids, etc involve cold without ice. And this does matter to me, irrationally.

      Practical uses, bruh. I never said it had zero use.

      Aptos wrote:
      And no, cryokinesis is not a common word, and can have connotation of ice manipulation with those who know it. Cold manipulation is straightforward, clear, and no alternative connotations, and is already there

      And cold manipulation, by binary setup, is temperature Manipulation. It is just more specific to how sapphire uses it.


      At this point I am pretty sure you are just arguing because Cold Manipulation is in english and Cryokinesis is not (Cryo and kinesis coming from the greek words for cold and movement).

      I chose cold manipulation because Hiikou did not like cold generation, which was the most specific to sapphire. And all those uses I mentioned are practical, they could easily suffocate an animal instantly or create walls of electricity and magnetism, practical. And it is clearer in english. If you admit they are the same, why did you want this to be voted on to change it? I disagree, but in your opinion.

        Loading editor
    • Let's keep this vote on-track now. You've made your points to each other already.

        Loading editor
    • Symbol neutral vote Neutral

        Loading editor
    • Symbol neutral vote Neutral

        Loading editor
    • That's not really practical. Unless Sapphire can carry superconductors large enough to be actually used offesively in a battle. Think of an actual battlefield, using cold to produce electricty and magnetism uses a lot of preparation and superconductors aren't exactly that common to be found easily on a battlefield. Also, most of their enemies aren't even animals, they're gems, I doubt suffocation would harm them.

      "It is clearer in english" is a completely moot statement but eh. Considering Cryo and Kinesis are English words that came from greek words. While cold came from a proto-germanic word and manipulate came from a french word.

      I never asked for a vote. And I quote from:
      "If semantics really rustles your jimmies, might I suggest taking your idea to the discussions board and see if other people follow your personal definition of such terms?"

      So yeah. You can keep it if you want to because if you read all my posts I never explicitly stated that I thought Cold Manipulation was a wrong power for Sapphire, I just wanted to see why you didn't like Cryokinesis. Or wanting to revert it for that matter, as my questions specifically questioned why it was changed and not to change it back.

        Loading editor
    • Support

        Loading editor
    • We had a vote similar to this months ago if anyone wants to see Thread:217568

      I don't want to vote, but I hate seeing so many neutrals so time to toss a coin.

      The flip has decided to Symbol oppose vote Oppose

        Loading editor
    • That is somewhat similar. Why wasnt it implemented? I could agree to thermoregulation as that is fairly accurate. More so to ours.

        Loading editor
    • Aptos wrote:
      That is somewhat similar. Why wasnt it implemented? I could agree to thermoregulation as that is fairly accurate. More so to ours.

      do you want to restart the vote?

        Loading editor
    • I feel like now it should be changed to options. A being cold manipulation, B being Cryokinesis, C being thermoregulation. Is that reasonable?

        Loading editor
    • Aptos wrote:
      That is somewhat similar. Why wasnt it implemented? I could agree to thermoregulation as that is fairly accurate. More so to ours.

      It was, then it was changed. Idk, why.

        Loading editor
    • Aptos wrote:
      I feel like now it should be changed to options. A being cold manipulation, B being Cryokinesis, C being thermoregulation. Is that reasonable?

      I'll re-write the vote for you then. It's easier to just do that instead of suddenly changing the options on this one.

        Loading editor
    • It doesnt make as much sense. Thermoregulation is just regulating the temperature, which is what she did. It makes sense. Same for ruby. It makes more sense than cold manipulation, in a way. There is a chance I would change my vote.

        Loading editor
    • The new vote will be held here.

        Loading editor
    • Moved this thread to the Discussions board as this thread no longer became a vote but more of a discussion.

        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.