FANDOM


  • This is got to be the MOST CONTROVERSIAL STEVEN UNIVERSE EPISODE OF ALL-TIME because it have to do with Bismuth

    Look at Tumblr's Reaction to that episode. Warning: lots of swears

    They are angry that Bismuth didn't deserve to be bubbled again and they even agree with her plan of shattered the Homeworld's gemstone with BREAKING POINT!

    It seem this comment hating on Rose. this user used a cussing word toward Rose. It seem Rose got a worse treatment from Tumblr than Pearl or Peridot! They even called Rose EVIL for keeping Bismuth's whereabouts from Garnet and Pearl which Bismuth was upset about

    They even started to despise and want to KILL Crewniverse especially Rebecca Sugar

    Man! This episode got people ANGRY AND DISAPPOINTED. This is the first episode to be considered "Controversial"

      Loading editor
    • holy smokes

      though then again this is tumblr we're talking about...

        Loading editor
    • I don't really understand their reaction. Like, this was just one episode, and no episode has aired since yet. Bismuth has plenty of time to get un-bubbled or explain things.

      Also, I had a conversation with a user here, who I believe is good at critical thinking since they owned me at the conversation because of my usual stupidity.

      To put it in short, Bismuth using the breaking point on a Gem is equivalent to banishing someone to hell forever. Looking at the cluster, shattering a Gem is like tearing pieces of their body away from each other like taking apart the limbs of a spider. They won't feel whole, and they will suffer from it. Like the cluster, they wanted to feel whole again and tried to form regardless. It's also reminiscent of touching napalm which is like liquid fire which puts a burn on the body that will probably last for the rest of your life due to nerve damage. For Naruto fans, it's similar to Amaterasu. Yeah, it's not like actually killing a gem and making them like, die and go to heaven as I once thought lol.

      Considering that the breaking point like, erases a targeted spot, it's like turning a Gem into dust and, wow. Being alive but as dust must be pretty agonizing.

      According to them, to truly kill a gem is to puncture them with the breaking point and to sweep the rest into lava to melt all the atoms away.

      Rose Quartz bubbling Bismuth and not telling the rest of the Gems was kind of bad as well since bubbling someone is like putting someone to sleep for an indefinite amount of time, so it makes me thing that the bubbled corrupted gems and sometimes even the regular gems are like the mentally ill inside an asylum.

      Bringing back the quote. I really don't understand their reaction to this episode and what they did to Bismuth. Like, considering all of this in this situation, whether it will be Bismuth or Rose getting their way, both actions were pretty horrible. This is pretty natural, though. It shows people the difficulty in the ethics and morals of war because even in war, there is a limit to how much you can do to punish someone.

      That's all from me since I'm not too smart and we still have plenty of episodes ahead to see what is next for Bismuth. In conclusion, this episode doesn't deserve this type of controversy or this type of reaction to the crewniverse and Rebecca. The message here was misinterpreted and it is way too early to send like, death threats n crap.

      Peace!

        Loading editor
    • Lots of people being butthurt because they disagree with certain character flaws.

        Loading editor
    • Its only controverial if they disagree with each other, what is sounds like is that they disagree with the 'lesson' of the episode and by extention Sugar herself, but everyone agress as to WHAT the episode was trying to say.

      If your looking for the episode where the fans disagree amoungst themselves about the meaning of an episode then I think Alone at Sea was bigger because we had a huge disagreement over who was the abuser and who was the victim in the Malacite fusion.

        Loading editor
    • Sorry for saying that, but Tumblr keeps getting WORSE everyday. My God, you can actually get cancer just by reading some of that stuff. It's almost like these people have no crictical thinking or any kind of analytic skills. They don't watch SU for a well-constructed plot, but for cliches and the generic story/character development they want it to have. This is not what this cartoon is about.

      In my opinion, that episode was great, and there was nothing "controversial" about it. Rebecca and the Crewniverse just showed us a deeper, stereotype-free (as the show itself) lecture on war and revolution. First of all, i like how they finally gave an "identity" to the original Crystal Gems. They acted like true insurgents, and had their own traditions and stuff. We were finally able to "feel" the complexity of the rebellion/civil war and those who participated in it.

      We had an important debate on the actual meaning of the word "justice", and the two most common opposing views on it - moderation and radicalization. We've seen what years of humiliation can cause in a person's mind, and how it affects their view of justice.

      At the end, this episode wasn't trying to say that Bismuth was bad, but that fundamentalism is never an good idea (i'm pretty sure everyone knows that) - it messes up with your head and turns you insane. Also, it was heavily implied that Rose Quartz lied to the CG's about what truly happened to Bismuth to preserve her image as the "symbol of the resistance", and i'm convinced that Rose only poofed Bismuth because she was trying to kill her. She would never backstab a friend like that...

      Both Rose and Bismuth had their reasons, and both were understandable, but what truly matters is that Steven learned that he shouldn't see himself as a copy of his mother, but as himself. Being himself will make him even beter than Rose, as Bismuth believed him to be.

      BTW, if these people now hate Rose because she refused to shatter the Diamonds, it means they hate Steven also?

        Loading editor
    • You pretty much explained everything that I wanted to lol. Sometimes I wish.

        Loading editor
    • Breaking point is disgusting

        Loading editor
    • i'm gonna be honest, i expected alone at sea to be more controversial than it ended up being

      also, rose and bismuth were both in the wrong, bismuth was wrong for wanting to shatter gems, and rose was wrong for lying about what happened to bismuth, and not freeing her once the war was over

        Loading editor
    • Let's get a little bit serious: everyone is completely free to disagree with a plot twist and dislike it, but that kind of reactions you showed from Tumblr are completely insane. I can explain them only thinking about functional illiteracy and lack of sentimental education.

      This show teaches us a lot of things about unconditional love, respect, empathy and growing up related stuff. It's terrible to see that there are people watching it who totally fail at being human like that.

      Plus, exactly in these days, 61 years ago, Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing happened. These events are probably the perfect example of a "breaking point" actually happening in human history. Didn't that actually taught anything to these people?

        Loading editor
    • Bismuth took things too far. Rose stopped her from doing something she'd regret. And in the end, Rose still saved her and obviously planned to let Steven know what happened or she wouldn't have left bismuth's bubble in lion's mane (along with the tape for Steven). Rose just wanted her friends to remember the fun, joking Bismuth, rather than a bitter, murderous gem.

        Loading editor
    • Vin13ish wrote: This is got to be the MOST CONTROVERSIAL STEVEN UNIVERSE EPISODE OF ALL-TIME because it have to do with Bismuth

      Look at Tumblr's Reaction to that episode

      Haha that is a lot of people defending attempted child-murder.

        Loading editor
    • Lithium Quartz
      Lithium Quartz removed this reply because:
      For repost
      01:30, August 8, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • I-Ship-Stevidot wrote:

      then again this is tumblr we're talking about...

      ^

      Everything on Tumblr is (made) 'controversial'. What a cesspit.

        Loading editor
    • I just realized Steven said that it would be really funny the third time Bismuth used her name as a pun. The third time she did it was after handing him the breaking point...

        Loading editor
    • Why is Tumblr so bad? It is the place where fandoms die. Take a game like undertale or overwatch. Us moderate fans like the game, make good art, and interact with eachother in a positive way. Tumblr comes in, and tells people to kill themselves bacause drawing rose slightly skinny is "fat shaming." Tumblr needs to die with these SJW numbskulls that raid fandoms and try to make the fandom more "progressive." This is why people say the undertale fandom is cancer. This is why people hate people who like steven universe. Tumblr makes people think we're all like these idiots, but we hate them just as much. 

        Loading editor
    • They do realize that Bismuth wanted to literally kill gems right? As in, destroy them forever with no chance of returning. Forever lost. But you know, "she deserves a second chance XDDDDDDDDDDDD" God I hate The Cesspool of Tumblr. 

        Loading editor
    • Yeah and the people who form their perceptions of fandoms based on tumblr aren't any better. Anyone who likes a thing is part of that thing's fandom. Fandoms aren't hiveminds and most every fandom has a negative side to it. So basically anyone saying "Meh Steven Universe is the worst fandom because tumblr" is really saying "I don't understand how human beings work, my pants are fulla doody"

        Loading editor
    • Xxkapamikey222xx wrote:
      They do realize that Bismuth wanted to literally kill gems right? As in, destroy them forever with no chance of returning. Forever lost. But you know, "she deserves a second chance XDDDDDDDDDDDD" God I hate The Cesspool of Tumblr. 

      Yes, but then again, so did Peridot

      And look what we have here.

        Loading editor
    • Bismuth got a second chance. Then she tried to murder a child.

        Loading editor
    • This is Tumblr for ya


      They'll make EVERYTHING controversial.

      And honestly, saying they want to KILL the Crewniverse and Sugar??? It's... It's a flipping cartoon...

      This is why I don't have Tumblr. It's just a biohazard full of stupid.

        Loading editor
    • i have it so i can ask certain blogs, i just avoid discussions

        Loading editor
    • I liked tumblr for a bit, then I realised how negative it really is when they started attacking Undertale, one of my favourite games with a deep, lovely storyline which gives you a CHOICE how to play it and gives every single 'enemy' their own personality... grr. Tumblr is just a graveyard for fandoms.

        Loading editor
    • It's ridicilous. Honestly, she wanted to shatter Steven right then and there. Steven tried to reason with her but she just went insaine. I can kind of see where they're coming, defending her actions, because I see  people defending Jasper, and she has tried to shatter Steven and Amethyst. They try to justify their actions, blaming it on the war and how Rose sealed Bismuth away and etc. But that still doens't make their actions less bad. That's the problem with people who defend Bismuth, they fail to recognize that she tried to shatter Steven based on what Rose did.

        Loading editor
    • I feel sorry for the Crystal Gems... they were so happy to have her back and to joke around with her again... and then she did THAT. But I do understand where she was coming from- still I really don't agree with her.

        Loading editor
    • Who cares about Tumblr?

        Loading editor
    • Cheeseskates wrote: I don't really understand their reaction. Like, this was just one episode, and no episode has aired since yet. Bismuth has plenty of time to get un-bubbled or explain things.

      Also, I had a conversation with a user here, who I believe is good at critical thinking since they owned me at the conversation because of my usual stupidity.

      To put it in short, Bismuth using the breaking point on a Gem is equivalent to banishing someone to hell forever. Looking at the cluster, shattering a Gem is like tearing pieces of their body away from each other like taking apart the limbs of a spider. They won't feel whole, and they will suffer from it. Like the cluster, they wanted to feel whole again and tried to form regardless. It's also reminiscent of touching napalm which is like liquid fire which puts a burn on the body that will probably last for the rest of your life due to nerve damage. For Naruto fans, it's similar to Amaterasu. Yeah, it's not like actually killing a gem and making them like, die and go to heaven as I once thought lol.

      Considering that the breaking point like, erases a targeted spot, it's like turning a Gem into dust and, wow. Being alive but as dust must be pretty agonizing.

      According to them, to truly kill a gem is to puncture them with the breaking point and to sweep the rest into lava to melt all the atoms away.

      Rose Quartz bubbling Bismuth and not telling the rest of the Gems was kind of bad as well since bubbling someone is like putting someone to sleep for an indefinite amount of time, so it makes me thing that the bubbled corrupted gems and sometimes even the regular gems are like the mentally ill inside an asylum.

      Bringing back the quote. I really don't understand their reaction to this episode and what they did to Bismuth. Like, considering all of this in this situation, whether it will be Bismuth or Rose getting their way, both actions were pretty horrible. This is pretty natural, though. It shows people the difficulty in the ethics and morals of war because even in war, there is a limit to how much you can do to punish someone.

      That's all from me since I'm not too smart and we still have plenty of episodes ahead to see what is next for Bismuth. In conclusion, this episode doesn't deserve this type of controversy or this type of reaction to the crewniverse and Rebecca. The message here was misinterpreted and it is way too early to send like, death threats n crap.

      Peace!

      Except that's not how it works, the Homeworld specifically shattered the gems for the cluster FOR the cluster's purpose, a true shattering DESTROYS the gem entirely to dust, that's it, no purgatory, no heaven, no hell, just death, they were careful how they did it, Bismuth's tactic would likely turn them to complete dust, not into shards meant for a punishment and torture method

        Loading editor
    • Kayhighwindroxsforev wrote: Except that's not how it works, the Homeworld specifically shattered the gems for the cluster FOR the cluster's purpose, a true shattering DESTROYS the gem entirely to dust, that's it, no purgatory, no heaven, no hell, just death, they were careful how they did it, Bismuth's tactic would likely turn them to complete dust, not into shards meant for a punishment and torture method

      Quote: Considering that the breaking point like, erases a targeted spot, it's like turning a Gem into dust and, wow. Being alive but as dust must be pretty agonizing. According to them, to truly kill a gem is to puncture them with the breaking point and to sweep the rest into lava to melt all the atoms away.

      Pretty sure being dust is also being tiny little specks of physical matter of the Gem shattered. If not, then okay. I'm happy to learn. It's not confirmed what shattering does anyway in the show because of the Cluster.

        Loading editor
    • It's never been stated in the show that there's a difference between the shattered gems in the cluster and a "true" shattering. As far as we know, what Steven saw in the Cluster is what shattering does to all gems, and gems reduced to shards have been shattered.

        Loading editor
    • Regardless of the result, I see no justification for harming others in these situations.

        Loading editor
    • Rose thought life was special, and life was worth protecting, these are her founding reasons for starting the Crystal Gems. Bismuth betrayed these ideals, and threatened to shatter Rose for not agreeing to the murder of Gems. I agree with her bubbling Bismuth, and I agree with her leaving Bismuth for Steven to handle. She beleived Steven would be greater than her, she couldn't bring Bismuth around but she hoped Steven would because believe it or not Bismuth would be a huge assest to the Crystal Gems even more than before. Steven has continued to preserve Rose's legacy and continued to expand the Crystal Gems like Rose did, bringing around a Homeworld Gem to join them, and allying with another Homeworld Gem in Lapis who is neither a Crystal Gem or Homeworld Gem. It would have been very possible for Steven to bring Bismtuh around, but Bismuth refused the idea of abandoning the Breaking Point, her self Pride essentially stopped her staying unbubbled. Think about it Rose and Bismuth most likely would have been friends, and Bismuth turned on Rose, and she would most likely turn on Garnet and Pearl too because I doubt Garnet and Pearl would agree to Gem Murder either. Rose did the right thing bubbling Bismuth, and hoping Steven would be able to bring her round, because I doubt Bismuth was always in Lions Dimension anyways.

      I still think Rose is a good person, and so is Bismuth. Rose was protecting the Earth by bubbling Bismuth, as she could have divided the Crystal Gems, and she also protected the Crystal Gems too because Bismuth could have turned on them, like she did Rose. But concerning Bismuth she was still fighting for Earth, albeit in a radical fashion. She wasn't doing what she did for evil intentions, she was doing it for the Crystal Gems.

        Loading editor
    • HarringtonLittle wrote: Rose thought life was special, and life was worth protecting, these are her founding reasons for starting the Crystal Gems. Bismuth betrayed these ideals, and threatened to shatter Rose for not agreeing to the murder of Gems. I agree with her bubbling Bismuth, and I agree with her leaving Bismuth for Steven to handle. She beleived Steven would be greater than her, she couldn't bring Bismuth around but she hoped Steven would because believe it or not Bismuth would be a huge assest to the Crystal Gems even more than before. Steven has continued to preserve Rose's legacy and continued to expand the Crystal Gems like Rose did, bringing around a Homeworld Gem to join them, and allying with another Homeworld Gem in Lapis who is neither a Crystal Gem or Homeworld Gem. It would have been very possible for Steven to bring Bismtuh around, but Bismuth refused the idea of abandoning the Breaking Point, her self Pride essentially stopped her staying unbubbled. Think about it Rose and Bismuth most likely would have been friends, and Bismuth turned on Rose, and she would most likely turn on Garnet and Pearl too because I doubt Garnet and Pearl would agree to Gem Murder either. Rose did the right thing bubbling Bismuth, and hoping Steven would be able to bring her round, because I doubt Bismuth was always in Lions Dimension anyways.

      I still think Rose is a good person, and so is Bismuth. Rose was protecting the Earth by bubbling Bismuth, as she could have divided the Crystal Gems, and she also protected the Crystal Gems too because Bismuth could have turned on them, like she did Rose. But concerning Bismuth she was still fighting for Earth, albeit in a radical fashion. She wasn't doing what she did for evil intentions, she was doing it for the Crystal Gems.

      Really good explanation! Couldn't have said it better myself!

        Loading editor
    • 2 Cents, Together Breakfast.

      Sentient Gem Dust


      Beside that, Steven knows from Shattered Gems hot it is and how it feels to be ... shattered.

      An experience that neither Rose nor Bismuth share with him.

      They both did not know what it does mean to be shattered.

      If Steven were able to show Bismuth how the Cluster is and what it means to be in permanent pain, searching for the rest of your Gem to be whole... a Gem (of any side of the war) she would have understand why STEVEN does not agree her way to end the War... to fight the Diamonds and Homeworld.

      I hope that he will be able to show her and that we will see her joining the Gems under Steven.

      Especially i hope that Bismuth will forge some Tools for lil Peridot.


      Regards

        Loading editor
    • Well she ain't coming back any time soon- not with the (SPOILERS FOR EARTHLINGS)

      new Pink Diamond stuff happening at the moment. 

        Loading editor
    • I seem to be the odd one out, because I can understand and sympathize with people being angry over Bismuth being bubbled and hidden away again. It doesn't solve anything, it just silences Bismuth. Her method was wrong, but her intentions were pure. No one tried to teach her differently, that by shattering gems they would be no better than the Diamond Authority. Instead, she was silenced and hidden away, Rose lied to her friends and elluded to her dying on the battlefield. She was left, alone and confused feeling as though Rose had betrayed her, for over 5000 years. I can't imagine how that could mess with her mind. Then suddenly she's released back into an unfamiliar world where there's no longer a horrible war happening.

      I don't expect people to just brush off Bismuth's mistakes, but have a bit of understanding. The last time she was on Earth, she watched her comrades be destroyed and killed. Her mind is stuck 5,300 years in the past during a time when her and her loved one's very lives were being threatened every day. Her state of mine is akin to that of a war veteran coming back from the battlefield with PTSD, who is expected to just act normal and accimilate back into normal everyday life.

      She needed help, not to be bubbled and hidden away again.

        Loading editor
    • She pretty clearly needed to be bubbled away again. Steven tried multiple times to reason with her and she just kept attacking. Patience and understanding are traits Steven has in abundance, but Bismuth had plenty of chances and is fully responsible for her own actions.

        Loading editor
    • Ed486 wrote:
      She pretty clearly needed to be bubbled away again. Steven tried multiple times to reason with her and she just kept attacking. Patience and understanding are traits Steven has in abundance, but Bismuth had plenty of chances and is fully responsible for her own actions.

      Steven tried in one instance, in one situation, to reason with her. She's been locked away for 5,000 years during a time of war. She needed HELP, not to be silenced and placed in a dark corner. Steven's brief "We can't shatter gems or we'll be just like them", is not enough. In the end, he repeated the same mistake as his mother. Just listen to Bismuth at the end, when she bitterly laughed and said he wasn't like his mother. I don't think she really believed that to be true, but for his sake, so he could sleep better at night, she told him that he wasn't repeating the same mistake as Rose by locking her away.

      It broke my heart to hear Bismuth at the end, because it showed she clearly needs help. When Steven told her no, it was like her PTSD flared up. Despite being told that Steven was Rose's son, she completely forgot that and claimed he was actually Rose herself, the same as Jasper. Their minds can't accept the fact that the horrible, horrible war that claimed so many lives, so many of their loved ones and comrades, has actually ended. They're still stuck there, like a PTSD-ridden soldier. You can't just kick them to the side, or hide them away. Jasper became corrupted, and as he is now, Steven couldn't help her so bubbling her was inevitable, but Bismuth was different. If someone had just talked to her, and showed her how she was wrong, she could have changed.

      Bismuth's heart is broken, and her mind is frayed. When she aimed the Breaking Point at Steven, she completely missed him. She wasn't looking to hurt him, she wanted him to stop her. It was as if she knew how damaged she had become, but knew that Steven wasn't going to give her the help she needed, so she opted to be locked away again.

        Loading editor
    • He tried to reason with her the entire time she was trying to murder him for no reason. Her opportunities to step back and stop her rampage were numerous, and this was after she'd already made the exact same mistake once before and gotten another chance with a clean slate. She absolutely, without question belongs in that bubble. She didn't need help. She wasn't corrupted, she wasn't broken, she was a murderous asshole in full control of her own actions who actively refused to compromise and tried to kill her closest friend and mentor over a disagreement, then tried to do the same to a small child. Her predicament is nobody's fault but her own.

        Loading editor
    • Ed486 wrote:
      He tried to reason with her the entire time she was trying to murder him for no reason. Her opportunities to step back and stop her rampage were numerous, and this was after she'd already made the exact same mistake once before and gotten another chance with a clean slate. She absolutely, without question belongs in that bubble. She didn't need help. She wasn't corrupted, she wasn't broken, she was a murderous asshole in full control of her own actions who actively refused to compromise and tried to kill her closest friend and mentor over a disagreement, then tried to do the same to a small child. Her predicament is nobody's fault but her own.

      I stand by the fact that Bismuth needed help rather than being locked away. No soundminded individual would ask to be killed like she asked Steven to at the end. She didn't aim to kill him, she completely missed him so that he could end her suffering. It's a horrifying thought that you can't see that. So many people are calling Bismuth a crazy, bloodthirsty killer. Many of you are quick to comdemn Tumblr users for their over the top reactions, and I agree, they're a bit much, but these kinds of reactions are no better. Another side of the same coin.

      I wonder if that was the message the creator was trying to convey. Maybe she was trying to start some kind of dialogue about these kinds of things by creating a divide between those for locking Bismuth away over helping her, and those against it. These sort of things happen a lot in real life. When something is wrong with someone, especially when it's their mental health, we'd rather blame them and hold them wholly accountable for their actions rather than reflect on our own part played or how we could help them.

        Loading editor
    • Again: Fully formed, non-corrupted gem, in her right mind, tried to murder a child for saying killing is wrong. A human would go to prison for that. Bismuth is responsible for her actions; her own choices.

        Loading editor
    • Ed486 wrote:
      Again. Fully formed, non-corrupted gem, in her right mind, tried to murder a child for saying killing is wrong. A human would go to prison for that.

      I quote, directly from Bismuth during the fight.

      Bismuth: "So what are you gonna do? Shatter me?! Go ahead! (directly pointing the Breaking Point at her gem) Just...do it!"

      Bismuth: (after being pierced by Rose's sword, speaking to Steven as if he was Rose) "You should have shattered me back then. At least if I were in pieces I wouldn't have to know how little I mattered to you. (voice wavers slightly) You didn't even tell them. You bubbled me and you didn't even tell your friends. (voice breaking) MY friends..."

      Yes, these are the actions and words of a mentally sound person. A cold-blooded killer indeed. This is definitely not someone that has been in a war, whose mind was mangled and twisted because of it.

      I don't understand why you'd mention that a person would go to prison for similar actions.

      1. Bismuth isn't a human.

      2. The insanity plea exists, in case you forgot? It's a completely valid defense.

      EDIT: also, Bismuth trying to "murder" Steven because he said killing is wrong? No, that's not it at all. You can't just boil it down to this one angle/aspect and say that's the whole point. Bismuth built the weapon and lashed out at Rose and Steven because she wanted to protect her comrades and friends. She believed that if the Breaking Point wasn't used, the Crystal Gems would lose, and ultimately be killed by the Diamond Authority.

        Loading editor
    • Yeah, at which point the attempted murderer is still removed from society, not turned loose to hang out with the people they've tried to kill. You're trying to justify something that can't be justified. Bismuth was unrepentant in her murder attempt, instead trying to paint herself as the victim in front of the child she just tried to kill like three times. AFTER she tried to coerce Steven into becoming a killer when she realized he didn't know what she'd done in the past. I mean geez, bubbling Bismuth is one of the few clear-cut correct decisions made in this show. Steven's only other choice in that situation is to let Bismuth kill him. I guess that makes him selfish though that he didn't do that.

        Loading editor
    • Freebismuth
        Loading editor
    • This isn't the first controversial episode...

        Loading editor
    • Ed486 wrote:
      Yeah, at which point the attempted murderer is still removed from society, not turned loose to hang out with the people they've tried to kill. You're trying to justify something that can't be justified. Bismuth was unrepentant in her murder attempt, instead trying to paint herself as the victim in front of the child she just tried to kill like three times. AFTER she tried to coerce Steven into becoming a killer when she realized he didn't know what she'd done in the past. I mean geez, bubbling Bismuth is one of the few clear-cut correct decisions made in this show. Steven's only other choice in that situation is to let Bismuth kill him. I guess that makes him selfish though that he didn't do that.

      It looks like neither of us will budge, so this will likely be the last post I make. I'd like to think you'd understand why, as interesting this debate has been, I don't want to keep going back and forth knowing nothing will come out of it.

      "Yeah, at which point the attempted murderer is still removed from society, not turned loose to hang out with the people they've tried to kill."

      They're released to institutions meant to treat them. Steven bubbling Bismuth for an unknown amount of time is the equivalent to locking her in a jail cell and leaving her to rot. I don't think I have to tell you that jail cells are not the place you go to get help for the mentally ill.

      "You're trying to justify something that can't be justified."

      You've misunderstood me. I'm not justifying, I'm sympathetic and empathetic of Bismuth. I believe she is wrong for lashing out at Rose and Steven, and I make it a point to say lashing out, not attacking with killer intent because I don't believe that was ever her intention, but I also believe she is the product of war. She is what happens when you've had to fight for your life and watched your friends and comrades lose theirs. Her gem wasn't corrupted, but her mind was.

      "I mean geez, bubbling Bismuth is one of the few clear-cut correct decisions made in this show. Steven's only other choice in that situation is to let Bismuth kill him."

      I disagree. Steven isn't a weak, incapable child like he was in the beginning. He withstood attacks from Bismuth and defended himself. He even damaged Bismuth by throwing the statue back at her. He's half gem, I don't think he would have been killed by her. He could have poofed her, and instead of bubbling her, took her back to the Crystal Gems and allowed her to regenerate so that they could talk to each other.

      It's not so black and white.

      "I guess that makes him selfish though that he didn't do that."

      You jumping to this kind of Godwin's Law tells me that the conversation is finished. As I said earlier, these kinds of extremes are the same as Tumblr's reactions. It makes you no better, espcially with your poorly made memes.

      Cheers.

        Loading editor
    • It's extreme to say people who try to murder children should be locked up? News to me. I'm also of the opinion that yes, expressing such a viewpoint actually is better than trying to rationalize the crime or blame the victim. There's a limit to the conventional "two sides to every story" argument, and its attempted application in this instance is a logical fallacy. The episode spells it out quite clearly. There's no ambiguity to Bismuth's attack on Steven. She chose to make it a "you or me" conflict, and she's facing the consequences for that choice. She's in that bubble because she tried to kill Steven, not because of some failure on any other character's part.

        Loading editor
    • Why does everyone blame the brain?

      A broken arm doesn't "make" you commit crime, why should the brain?

      Both Rose and Bismuth erred in their actions. Dishonesty and revenge-fueled intent to harm.

      The issue here is threatening to harm the writers of a show because of the fiction that they created.

        Loading editor
    • I re-watched the episode, and Bismuth sounds really concerned when she says "wait- where is Rose?" Like she was worried Rose had been shattered. 

        Loading editor
    • So I took a look at that image.  And...to be honest, the only common factor is that all of those bloggers thought Bismuth got a raw deal.  There's a huge difference between "this was handled badly" (the majority of those responses; and, especially in light of recent reveals, a valid criticism) and making death threats against the showrunners (and I doubt anyone's going to argue against that individual being wildly out of line).  And equating the two is hugely disingenuous.

      But, y'know...since websites with thousands of users can apparently be considered in consensus now: that's Reddit for ya.

        Loading editor
    • Deist Zealot wrote:
      So I took a look at that image.  And...to be honest, the only common factor is that all of those bloggers thought Bismuth got a raw deal.  There's a huge difference between "this was handled badly" (the majority of those responses; and, especially in light of recent reveals, a valid criticism) and making death threats against the showrunners (and I doubt anyone's going to argue against that individual being wildly out of line).  And equating the two is hugely disingenuous.

      But, y'know...since websites with thousands of users can apparently be considered in consensus now: that's Reddit for ya.

      Wait what? Someone actually made a death threat against the writers because they did not like how the episode ended? That is pretty messed up and incredibly stupid at the same time. And for the whole handled badly argument, Bismuth was going to kill Steven if he did not poof her because she was beyond reasoning when she attacked him.... sigh. I love how people have passion for the show, but sometimes people do take it too far.

        Loading editor
    • I don't understand why people hate rebbecca now.  I guess some people get a little too hyped. 

      15:56, August 10, 2016 (UTC)
        Loading editor
    • Actually I forgot that this was Tumblr's response. It make sense since for some reason most fans of any fandom on Tumblr seem to be very extreme for some reason. Seriously what is wrong with people on that site?

        Loading editor
    • AndyToons wrote: I don't understand why people hate rebbecca now.  I guess some people get a little too hyped. 

      15:56, August 10, 2016 (UTC)

      I guess some people just really hate seeing attempted child murder portrayed in a negative light for some reason.

        Loading editor
    • Yasha 011
      Yasha 011 removed this reply because:
      Didn't quite answer the question.
      12:40, August 11, 2016
      This reply has been removed
    • Seriously, since when does giving a character flaws, shortcomings, and difficult choices without easy answers make a story worse? We don't know what happened between Rose and Pink Diamond before she shattered her, but we do know what Bismuth is the one who turned her disagreement with Rose into a life or death issue. Bismuth is a great character who refused to learn from her mistakes and made two very bad choices. Why is that a bad thing from a creative standpoint?

      Same with Rose; she was this legendary champion who's revered by everyone in Steven's life who *gasp* did some questionable things and wasn't perfect! It's the same as when the show started delving into Pearl's issues with Rose, Greg, and Sardonyx, and fans were seething over it. The takeaway lesson should be don't idealize someone else's fictional characters, especially well-written ones.

        Loading editor
    • This neuroticism is a disgusting attitude to have. Sure, there are ideals, but this is the real world. Almost everything falls short of ideal.

        Loading editor
    • What is this, an essay? Good grief!

        Loading editor
    • Oh no, not the Skinny Rose Incident again. I've heard of Internet Backdraft, but this is ridiculous!

        Loading editor
    • The people of tumblr (the crazy ones) are crazy, mean, and need medical help. Period. It's completely fine to not enjoy and episode, but it's absolutely wrong to hate on the Crewniverse and threaten to "kill them". WTF tumblr!

        Loading editor
    • You know what?

      Bismuth is not the controversial one here

      Tumblr is

        Loading editor
    • The episode was understandable, but the purpose of it felt condescending.

      Especially after "Bubbled" episode.

      It seems that the ' Crewniverse ', just wanted to make a morality point by using a disposable character that some people ended up relating to and that ticked a lot of people (me included) off. It isn't something I will harass anyone over, but it makes me suspicious of the staffers.

      And even after that the amount of excuses people gave for Rose over Bismuth just added to the fire. Followed by much backpedaling when Eyeball spoke about Rose.


      /Honestly

        Loading editor
    • Oh yeah, I agree with the posting of, "Why wasn't Bismuth given a chance?"

      And referring to Steven as a child being hurt by 'bad gems' as an excuse doesn't work, because, as mentioned, Gems who encounter Steven don't see him as a human child, just some weird Gem / Rose Quartz in another form.

        Loading editor
    • Bismuth was given a chance though, and she made the exact same mistake again.

        Loading editor
    • And now the stupid tumblr sjws are calling the crewniverse racist for makkng Bismuth who is voiced by a black person, a villain, and saying Rebecca Sugar should just go choke.

        Loading editor
    • Everywhere that isn't tumblr needs to just stop acknowleging what happens on tumblr. The toxic side of the community needs to be quaranteened off by means of our collective, coordinated apathy.

        Loading editor
    • Bunai82 wrote:
      Oh yeah, And referring to Steven as a child being hurt by 'bad gems' as an excuse doesn't work, because, as mentioned, Gems who encounter Steven don't see him as a human child, just some weird Gem / Rose Quartz in another form.

      Oh, you mean like what Bismuth thought when she attacked Steven?

        Loading editor
    • Oh man I love it. Tumblr yet again proves to be the living incarnation of horseshoe effect.

        Loading editor
    • I-Ship-Stevidot wrote:

      Bunai82 wrote:
      Oh yeah, And referring to Steven as a child being hurt by 'bad gems' as an excuse doesn't work, because, as mentioned, Gems who encounter Steven don't see him as a human child, just some weird Gem / Rose Quartz in another form.

      Oh, you mean like what Bismuth thought when she attacked Steven?

      Bismuth: It is you, isn't it, Rose?

      It is understandable that the (we as)viewing audience sees Steven Quartz Universe as a child but to Gem characters, with the exception being the Crystal Gems, they do not see a human nor a child. This has to be explicitly explained to them to understand what a human even is and why humans are fragile and important.

      It is stated in canon that Gems come out as they are, they are never children.

      Ed486 wrote: Bismuth was given a chance though, and she made the exact same mistake again.

      This is the fifth time you stated this, I get it. It doesn't mean I am going to agree with you.

      It's my opinion that bubbling Bismuth was stupid. Besides that, she can't do anything to a modernized Homeworld without any actual way of getting there. And it is highly likely that she never saw a Corrupted Gem, so to assume she would shatter it without reason isn't a fair assessment.

      Bismuth was locked away based on her extreme ideals, not her actions. And for all of Steven's sympathetic moments involving lines such as: "try to see this/it from HER point of view", this was not done with Bismuth.


      In addition, if removing 'guest voices' from the casting will allow future characters to have a part in the show without being a one-note, then so be it.

        Loading editor
    • Gameuser10 wrote: Why does everyone blame the brain?

      A broken arm doesn't "make" you commit crime, why should the brain?

      You really need to study mental illness.

      If you think humans are that strong that the very thing that physically motivates the body plays zero part in life decisions then you are way off.

        Loading editor
    • Bunai82 wrote:

      I-Ship-Stevidot wrote:


      Bunai82 wrote:
      Oh yeah, And referring to Steven as a child being hurt by 'bad gems' as an excuse doesn't work, because, as mentioned, Gems who encounter Steven don't see him as a human child, just some weird Gem / Rose Quartz in another form.
      Oh, you mean like what Bismuth thought when she attacked Steven?
      Bismuth: It is you, isn't it, Rose?

      It is understandable that the (we as)viewing audience sees Steven Quartz Universe as a child but to Gem characters, with the exception being the Crystal Gems, they do not see a human nor a child. This has to be explicitly explained to them to understand what a human even is and why humans are fragile and important.

      It is stated in canon that Gems come out as they are, they are never children.

      I misread your post, lol

      I read "and you can't use the Steven is rose excuse, bismuth knew he WaS her son!" As the basic jist, which confused me, since bismuth called Steven "rose"

        Loading editor
    • Bismuth initially went along with the whole "I'm Rose's son and she turned into me" thing at first, but didn't believe him after he said the exact thing Rose did, just seeing it as another lie of hers.

        Loading editor
    • Reading some of the comments on here..... You know what whether you agree with how the episode ended or not, sending death threats to the writers because you did not like the ending is NEVER ok and cannot ever be justified.

        Loading editor
    • Steven Schwarz wrote: Reading some of the comments on here..... You know what whether you agree with how the episode ended or not, sending death threats to the writers because you did not like the ending is NEVER ok and cannot ever be justified.

      The fact that people are actually throwing death threats at the crew is ironic in a way. They are unwittingly proving that the aesop of the episode is still VERY relevant to today, and its just sad that people can just straight up have that important message fly over their head so easily.

        Loading editor
    • Bismuth was poofed for trying to kill Steven, literally running into his sword trying to shatter him, after he'd spent the entirety of her onslaught trying to reason with her and sparing her when she asked him to shatter her. She was bubbled because she showed no regret or remorse. It had nothing to do with her ideals and both the dialogue and the progression of events make that abundantly clear.

        Loading editor
    • Let's remember, bubbling isn't some kind of Gem solitary confinement. Peridot was bubbled, and when Steven released her she continued the same sentence she'd been in the middle of when she was poofed. The CGs can still release Bismuth for that honest talk, any time they like. It's been, what, a couple of very eventful days since then?

      (By which I mean, bubbling Bismuth isn't making her, or the situation, any worse. She's effectively in stasis. As with the monsters, it just keeps her from being a potentially dangerous threat until there's time and ability to deal with her again.)

        Loading editor
    • True. Even when she reformed at the beginning of the episode, she was still on guard from her confrontation with Rose, and remarked upon seeing that old battlefield that she'd just been there.

        Loading editor
    • Honestly, if someone straight-up tried to murder me, I wouldn't be very willing to sit down and talk to them and explain how wrong it is. Steven is a lovely, patient, caring person- but he's still a child and he has his limits. We can't expect him to try and redeem Bismuth after how viciously she attacked him. And the CGs just want the best for Steven, so they wouldn't side with their old comrade either. Not bubbling her would just be out of character for everyone- can you really see the CGs trying to help their comrade after she tried to kill their "kid"? 

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.