FANDOM


  • A few months ago I came up with a theory about why Pearl has a weapon despite being made to be a servent. The original theory was that all Gems wether they're soilders or civillians need a method of self defence incase of danger, and since Pearls powers can't be used offencively she was given the power to summon a weapon.

    After a mix off watching new episodes and general thinking I don't think this is the case anymore. Firstly ,if you look past the Diamond tyranny and the culling of unfit Gems, Homeworld seems like a pretty safe place to live. Theres no dangerous wild animals, there's likely many gaurds and defence robanoids.

    The only fit/law abiding Gems that get exposed to danger are soilders, those in charge of collonization (i.e. Bismuths and Lapis') and those sent on special missions (although they're given escorts and Gem tech). Pearls, Zircon, Sapphires and the like are not likely to be in danger (unless they upset the Diamonds).

    Speaking of Zircon, she even said that if her mistress was under attack the worst she would do is cry in alarm "Watch out my Diamond!"

    So whats my new theory?

    Well, remember Holo-Pearl? Well they can create weapons like spears, swords and axes out of nothing too. Holo-Pearl and their weapons are also tangible as well just like a Gem weapon.

    My guess is that Pearls spear started life as a hardlight hologram just like the Holo-Pearl summons. Now if you remember, Pearl started with normal swords but used a spear sometime after Bismuth joined. So I think that Bismuth may have took Pearls holo-spear and transformed it into a more stable permanent form. After all, the fact that they didn't question Bismuths ability to upgrade weapons implies that it may not have been the first time she's done it.

    This means that thoereticaly Pearl could summon any weapon she wants, althought they won't be as strong as her Bismuth enhanced spear.

    Now, how exactly can Bismuth upgrade summoned weapons? No idea. I you have any theories about that please tell me.

      Loading editor
    • Firstly, I know in The Answer, and Sworn to Sword, Pearl is seen using swords, but I think it's irresponsible to assume that she started out with swords first and used a spear AFTER Bismuth. We have no idea when she started using her spear. Perhaps she started with a spear, and Rose trained her in swordplay, and in order to master it she had to practice using it in real combat--like the ambush on Blue Diamond (which was pretty reckless if you ask me, Rose attacking a Diamond with just one Pearl at her side, but that's besides the point). 

      But the point is, we don't know when she started using a spear. We can't definitively say that it was after she met Bismuth. There's not enough evidence. 

      Asking how Bismuth upgrades weapons is like asking how Lapis manipulates water. It's inherent and specific to her abilities as a gem. The weapons are light constructs, yes, and they can be made consecutively and even increase in size, but I think it's a lot like shapeshitfting in general. They can theortically shapeshift their weapons how they please (maybe, we've seen no evidence of this), but it would require unnecesary exertion. Plus, I'm sure they summon their weapons already knowing how to use them. Pearl was called a fancy one by Peridot. She's special even amongst Pearls, so it surprises me little that she can summon a weapon even though according to her allegorical song, she wasn't made for fighting. 

      The only one that can alleviate the stress it would take to shapeshift weapons is a Bismuth, because that's her power as a blacksmith/architect/engineer. It's not something that'll ever be specifically detailed, but if you don't wanna accept that it's a power of hers, at least except that it's a cartoon and they don't really need to explain her weaponsmithing and likely never will.

      Is homeworld safe, though? Bismuth said "build another arena for important fighters to fight in. build another spire for important thinkers to think in." Maybe it was long ago, but it seemed like homeworld has a lot of conflict and conflict resolution happening, beyond a recreational scale. 

        Loading editor
    • Calm down. It's just a theory.

      You call me "irrisponsible" for assumeing Pearl didn't get a spear until after, yet when you insist she has always had a spear dispite lack of evidence to back it up thats perfectly fine? Like I said it's just a theory, I'm not saying It's deffinetly what happened.

      And when I asked about how Bismuth can upgrade weapons, what I meant was that it's strange that the upgrades stay on the weapon considering that the upgrades were material and that they become part of the weapon, Like how amythest only had one whip upgraded yet she can summon two upgraded whips at once.

      And I don't see why having arenas for fighting and spires for thinking makes Homeworld less safe for civillian Gems.

        Loading editor
    • LapisLazuliisthebest wrote:
      Calm down. It's just a theory.

      You call me "irrisponsible" for assumeing Pearl didn't get a spear until after, yet when you insist she has always had a spear dispite lack of evidence to back it up thats perfectly fine? Like I said it's just a theory, I'm not saying It's deffinetly what happened.

      And when I asked about how Bismuth can upgrade weapons, what I meant was that it's strange that the upgrades stay on the weapon considering that the upgrades were material and that they become part of the weapon, Like how amythest only had one whip upgraded yet she can summon two upgraded whips at once.

      And I don't see why having arenas for fighting and spires for thinking makes Homeworld less safe for civillian Gems.

      I'm not un-calm. You may be taking the irresponsible comment as an ad-hominem attack on you, but that wasn't the intent. And I don't insist that Pearl always had the spear, I said we don't know when she started using it---however you did in fact state that she started using it after she met Bismuth, but we have no evidence of that. 

      Like, I literrally said "But the point is, we don't know when she started using a spear. We can't definitively say that it was after she met Bismuth. There's not enough evidence." So I'm not insiting she always had a spear. 

      Also, saying it's just a theory means..what exactly? I know it is, but you asked what we think and I'm giving my thoughts. My counter to your theory. No theory is infallible or immune to debate or criticism. That's what these forums are for (partly), so here I am. 

      And about the Spires. What would the gems have to think about? Every gem is made with knowing their purpose the moment they come out the ground. So ideally, they wouldn't have to think--merely follow as programmed, and it would be redundant for them to think tireleslly over beings that all follow their purpose. Would it not be fair to infer that the reasons for the spires could be because the Crystal Gems weren't the first renegade gems. Perhaps they were the first organized rebellion, but it could very well be that there are plenty of delinquent gems that aren't necessarily off colors that need to be dealt with. Conflict Resolution. And to support the evidence of renegade gems, we just had a Trial. They had proceuder and Zircons as attorneys. Maybe not every trial requires the presence of Diamonds, but they definitely have crime on Homeworld. Which would mean it's not always safe for civilians gems.

      I'm not sure how the arenas would play into that, but even more (potential) evidence is the fact that they have Quartz soldier gems in the first place. Maybe it's becaues of the Rebellion that those gems exist, or maybe there was war and violence in HW long before them, or maybe those Quartz gems are primarily for invasion on other planets. Not sure. 


      And when it comes to the upgraded weapons, again it's still a cartoon. They can get away with some seams. Like, we didn't necessarily see all of Bismuth's upgrading, or the gems training with them off screen, etc etc. They're more a plot device than anything, and can be used without any need for further explanation imo. She upgraded their weapons, and now they have upgraded weapons to use if they want to. Seems to be like a power up kinda thing they can choose to do to let the viewers know they're really going all out, like a plot device but idk. 

        Loading editor
    • Okay, I guess you have a point. I should have said "Pearl may have started with sword" or "I beleve Pearl started with sword" and not just out right say "remember, Pearl strted with swords" (I'm not editing it though, people can just read my comments to know I've changed my mind)

      And I agree that there will be other criminals on Homeworld (hence the need for lawyers), Although I still don't think thats enoght for every Gem to be made with a weapon. Like I said before theres bond to be lots of soilders and gaurds patroling the place to keep the other Gems safe.

      And as for the Bismuth thing. Lets just agree to disagree about that. I knOw its a cartoon but I still like consistency.

        Loading editor
    • So, pearls can make random objects out of nowhere? wait, then Lapis... WHAT!? (dies on confusion)

      I'm not sure if i remember correctly but in that episode with Pearl being saltier and screaming "WHY DON'T YOU LET ME DO THIS FOR YOU ROSE!?" (i would really like the word with a w a t and a f to be able for describe that phrase in particular) when they poof the holo pearls their swords are dropped on the ground, i don't find this theory likely, i prefer Pearl picking random swords and then Bismuth making weapons for gems that are not designed to summon them (Sapphire (but only for upgrade Ruby's gauntlet as Garnet (the weapon of a fusion is a fusion of the weapons of the participants)), Pearl, and etc), basically, Amethyst's whip is her own, since she's a warrior it comes with her, Rose Quartz's shield is the case too (i strongly believe PD made them for protection and healing, also, is annoying that i mention PD in almost all the threads i comment?), BUT, Bismuth could upgrade it and draw the symbol of the rebellion on it

      Nice theory, but i don't find it that likely, but still nice theory c:

        Loading editor
    • Also, if the weapons made by Bismuth are linked with their respective user, then, Bismuth's plan was to make summonable Breaking Points?

      WAIT WHAT!? THAT'S PRETTY BRUTAL

      Before anyone starts with "YES ROSE USED THE BREAKING POINT ADSFADSFASDF" it was clearly not linked with her, right?

      Wait, what if they unbubble Bismuth and the breaking point becomes her weapon!?

        Loading editor
    • Jolmev wrote:
      So, pearls can make random objects out of nowhere? wait, then Lapis... WHAT!? (dies on confusion)

      I'm not sure if i remember correctly but in that episode with Pearl being saltier and screaming "WHY DON'T YOU LET ME DO THIS FOR YOU ROSE!?" (i would really like the word with a w a t and a f to be able for describe that phrase in particular) when they poof the holo pearls their swords are dropped on the ground, i don't find this theory likely, i prefer Pearl picking random swords and then Bismuth making weapons for gems that are not designed to summon them (Sapphire (but only for upgrade Ruby's gauntlet as Garnet (the weapon of a fusion is a fusion of the weapons of the participants)), Pearl, and etc), basically, Amethyst's whip is her own, since she's a warrior it comes with her, Rose Quartz's shield is the case too (i strongly believe PD made them for protection and healing, also, is annoying that i mention PD in almost all the threads i comment?), BUT, Bismuth could upgrade it and draw the symbol of the rebellion on it

      Nice theory, but i don't find it that likely, but still nice theory c:

      Sorry for killing you with confusion. Not everything that comes out of Pearls gemstone was by her, Some things like the mirror where strored in her gem but the Holo-Pearls where created by it.

      The episode you mean is "Sworn to the Sword" and yes the swords did drop to the ground. You see, when Pearl first makes Connie fight Holo-Pearl it kind of just makes a holo-sword pin its hand, presumebly because holo-swords are safer then real ones. But during the big battle near the end of the episode Pearl basically goes insane and the Holo-pearls ise real swords on Connie putting her life at risk.

      Also, your not the first person to say that Bismuth made summoned weapons (like Pearls spear) I've actuly been wondering about that myself. Mabey when/if Bismuth comes back she can make Peridot a weapon.

      And I love what you said about Bismuth drawing the RQ symbol on her sheild. Why didn't I think of that?

        Loading editor
    • LapisLazuliisthebest wrote:

      Sorry for killing you with confusion. Not everything that comes out of Pearls gemstone was by her, Some things like the mirror where strored in her gem but the Holo-Pearls where created by it.

      The episode you mean is "Sworn to the Sword" and yes the swords did drop to the ground. You see, when Pearl first makes Connie fight Holo-Pearl it kind of just makes a holo-sword pin its hand, presumebly because holo-swords are safer then real ones. But during the big battle near the end of the episode Pearl basically goes insane and the Holo-pearls ise real swords on Connie putting her life at risk.

      Also, your not the first person to say that Bismuth made summoned weapons (like Pearls spear) I've actuly been wondering about that myself. Mabey when/if Bismuth comes back she can make Peridot a weapon.

      And I love what you said about Bismuth drawing the RQ symbol on her sheild. Why didn't I think of that?

      It's okay, i'm a pink zombie now

      If holo-swords are safer, then Pearl's sword couldn't be holo, BUT, what if she helped Bismuth in the design of her spear? she moves so naturally with it so why not?

      Well, if i'm not the first one, i'm not the only one :DD, since Green space dorito have ferrokinesis, i didn't thinked about her getting her own weapon, sounds pretty interesting

      I would say (i use too much the word would), the same for Lapis, but i'm pretty sure they share a backstory (at least, our Bismuth being the Bismuth who poofed Lapis), so possibly not :T

      I'm glad you liked the idea of the symbol and the shield :)

        Loading editor
    • This may count as off-topic but hey:

      What if our Ruby's original weapon was a knife, like Eyeball's one, but Bismuth created a gauntlet for her right hand and a gauntlet for Sapphire's left hand, so when they fuse, they can use both gauntlets at the same time and protect both of their gemstones as well

      But according to Matt Burnett, Sapphire probably doesn't have a weapon, wasted :c

        Loading editor
    • Jolmev
      Jolmev removed this reply because:
      i'm going to search it :v
      16:30, June 14, 2017
      This reply has been removed
    • Matt Burnet is a member of the crewniverse that has been known to joke and tell lies (e.g. when I said "The Answer witll be Blue Diamonds and Blue Plears only appaerence in the show). but only when he can't give a seriouse answer.

      I don't think Rubies gautlet was made by Bismuth, I thinks it's just her summoned weapon. And I don't think Sapphire has a weapon eaither. In fact that was my first ever theory disscusion.

        Loading editor
    • LapisLazuliisthebest wrote:
      Matt Burnet is a member of the crewniverse that has been known to joke and tell lies (e.g. when I said "The Answer witll be Blue Diamonds and Blue Plears only appaerence in the show). but only when he can't give a seriouse answer.

      I don't think Rubies gautlet was made by Bismuth, I thinks it's just her summoned weapon. And I don't think Sapphire has a weapon eaither. In fact that was my first ever theory disscusion.

      I remember reading it, but i had that idea and wanted to post it here, since the thread is still open, i'm posting it there too

        Loading editor
    • Also, it sounds cute and Ruby and Sapphire are cute :3

        Loading editor
    • It's still open?!

        Loading editor
    • LapisLazuliisthebest wrote:
      It's still open?!

      Check it out!

        Loading editor
    • I checked it out. It's a miracal.

      Now you can comment on the theories you missed on my profile page.

        Loading editor
    • Like the expression in spanish "aprovecha el bug :v" i may will, may not, idk :v

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.