Steven Universe: Unleash the Light is a mobile game worked on by Cartoon Network and was announced as part of the Apple Arcade Announcement Event on September 10, 2019. The game was co-written by Rebecca Sugar and has a similar gameplay system to Attack the Light and Save the Light developed by Grumpyface Studios. The game was released on the Apple Arcade catalog on November 27, 2019.
“Steven Universe: Unleash the Light,” is an original Cartoon Network game, co-written by Rebecca Sugar, where players pick their favorite characters, choose which Gems are in their party, unlock awesome new abilities and equip alternate costumes in the ultimate mobile role-playing game (RPG).
6 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
CUSTOMIZE YOUR TEAM
Choose which Gems are in your party, unlock awesome new abilities, and equip alternate costumes. Plus, change formation in battle to gain the advantage.
TWO NEW GEMS
Face off against two new Prism-wielding Gems co-created by Rebecca Sugar. Who are they and what are they plotting?
It starts off with Steven finishing writing new rules for Era 3 accompanied by Blue Pearl, Yellow Pearl and Pink Pearl in the Diamond Throne Room at Gem Homeworld. While having a conversation, Yellow Pearl mentions that there are two Light Prisms still active and she has been contacting two Gems named Pyrope and Demantoid; thus far she was unsuccessful. Blue Pearl states that if they don't respond they could send a battalion to retrieve the Prisms by force which Steven disagrees to. Pink Pearl asks what the right solution is and Steven answers that he knows the right team for the job.
Steven brings the Crystal Gems to the Palace of Light which is owned by the two Garnets. When he tries to introduce himself to Demantoid, Pyrope interrupts asking Demantoid who she's talking to. Upon realizing who he is Pyrope hurriedly tells them the palace is closed and the two take their leave. While the Crystal Gems think about how to enter, they once again encounter Hessonite's Prism who not only took on a new form but has chosen the name George. George shows them that he can dissipate Prism-protected doors only to discover that the rest of the palace is locked and they need rainbow keys to enter. This is 'helpfully' pointed out by Hessonite who has become a 'mysterious ally' to the gems. The gems decide to follow Demantoid after hacking a comlink from a previous colony in the making with Pearl staying to find out more about Demantoid while Lapis Lazuli goes with them to one of Yellow Diamond's mining colonies.
In Crystal System Colony 215, it's revealed that Demantoid has been releasing Light constructs through the colony disrupting the work of several Peridots. One of said Peridots, Peri Pal informs Steven that the Peridots know due to the commlinks before Demantoid cut all communication from Homeworld and prohibited any interaction with Steven, unfortunately, the Light constructs from her Prism are causing damage to their buildings which makes the Crystal Gems help them and Pearl informs Steven that Demantoid and Pyrope after hearing of Era 3 saw it as a chance to make their own empires due to the power vacuum caused. After fighting Light constructs controlling a drill they discover Demantoid already left to another colony owned by her.
In Demantoid's world they learn she has been using Light constructs to replace her Bismuths during its terraformation. The Bismuths, unable to continue their work are wondering what to do now. Steven explains that the new rules of Era 3 set them free and they should have their own ruling system. Along the way, they meet Bismuth who reveals to have made a Prism Containment Chest to disable both Prisms. After fighting several constructs they encounter Demantoid who modified her Prism. Steven tries to convince her to surrender, only for Demantoid to reply that, for her, Steven's Era 3 is a chance for them to make their own empire now that he has proven that the Diamonds are obsolete. After defeating her Bismuth tries to use the box only to be attacked by Demantoid until Steven saves her by throwing his shield. The Bismuths decide to rebel against Demantoid only for her to leave with the box much to the disappointment of the Crystal Gems. The group decides to follow her to Blue Colony 4 controlled by Pyrope.
Upon arrival, the Gems find the colony in ruins and are confused when the inhabitants, a variety of Jades seem worried to speak with them. One Jade reveals that the Palace of Light was formerly located on the planet and they have not been permitted to receive broadcasts or leave. After navigating the colony the team encounters another group of light constructs who have taken the forms of Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl and Steven to battle them. They then set their sights on the Palace of Light to unlock all the doors and confront Pyrope face to face.
Once they unlock all the barriers the Crystal Gems fought through Pyrope's residence to find her sitting in her personal room. They attempt to convince her to stop using the prisms when Demantoid arrives and begins to bicker with Pyrope. Bismuth, noticing the box, tells Steven she will try to take it before Hessonite arrives to "aid" them. Hessonite brags to the other Garnets about her humbleness before she is struck, knocking off her scarf and visor. Pyrope is surprised by this and Demantoid says that there is still time to join them, but Hessonite refuses. Demantoid states that she wasn't talking to her but George who she captures and combines with the other two prisms. After fighting the two Garnets and their Prism monster Steven convinces George to fight back before being silenced by Demantoid. This causes Hessonite to stand up to her and apologize to George telling him he doesn't have to be a weapon anymore. George causes the monster to defuse and reunites with Steven. With her Prism locked away, Demantoid loses her Limb Enhancers and blames Pyrope who blames her back. The two poof each other and Hessonite takes over the palace promising to open it back to gemkind. George has Bismuth release the other prisms, and he convinces them the three of them are now free. Pearl then reminds Steven that there are still several colonies that are yet to be freed, so the Crystal Gems decide to stay in Homeworld for a while to help establish Era 3.
After the credits roll, a mysterious green ship resembling the one used by Squaridot comes into view and a laugh similar to the ones made by Peridots is heard before disappearing.
- Blue Pearl
- Yellow Pearl
- Pink Pearl
- Light Prism
- Demantoid's Peridots (debut)
- Demantoid's Bismuths (debut)
- Pyrope's Jades (debut)
- Squaridot (voice only; post-credits scene)
- Light construct drill (debut)
- Demantoid (debut)
- Crystal Gem Light constructs (debut)
- Pyrope (debut)
- Giant Prism fusion (debut)
- Gem Homeworld
- Crystal System Colony 215 (debut)
- Demantoid's World (debut)
- Pyrope's World (Blue 4) (debut)
- Yellow 4 (mentioned)
- Costume #2: Varsity Jacket - Extra Pockets: Once per battle, allows two items to be used in a single turn.
- Costume #3: Pink Diamond Outfit - Perseverance: The first time Steven is defeated in battle, he will automatically revive with low health.
- Costume #2: First regeneration - Future Vision: When Garnet is in her counterattack stance if any ally is attacked under 25% HP, that attack transfers to Garnet multiplied by 50%.
- Costume #3: "Cotton Candy" Garnet - Made of Love: Garnet now regenerates a small amount of health every turn.
- Costume #2: Third regeneration - Super Star Whip: When Amethyst defeats an enemy with her whip attack, it's guaranteed to drop a star point.
- Costume #3: First form - Undercooked: After being poofed, Amethyst will always automatically reform after two-player turns.
- Costume #2: First regeneration - Tactician: Pearl is able to activate a second Formation Swap on any turn.
- Costume #3: First form - Do it for Them: If Pearl is defeated, the rest of the party automatically receives a heal and Attack buff.
- Costume #2: Pre-regeneration - Inner Turmoil: Lapis has a 15% chance to complete focus instantly after starting it.
- Costume #3: Bob Outfit - Batter Up: While in Focus, Lapis cannot be interrupted by small and medium projectiles, and also knocks them back to her attacker.
- Costume #2: First regeneration - Armorsmith: Bismuth begins every battle with an armor pack.
- Costume #3: Current form - Master Builder: Bismuth has a 20% chance to finish forging immediately after starting it.
- Pearl-fect: Perform 10 Perfects in a row (without missing any perfect attacks or blocks).
- Giant Woman: Perform any fusion.
- Risky Bismuth: Protect your teammate from Demantoid.
- Over 9000: Fully Level Up all of the Crystal Gems.
- Steven's RPG: Learn the ropes.
- Across The Universe: Unlock and visit every stage.
- Attack the Light: Defeat 100 Light Constructs.
- Perfect Porkchop: Complete the game to 100%.
- It's A Wash: Defeat three enemies at once with Lapis' Tidal Wave.
- Rock The Vote: Establish Democracy in a formerly-conquered Gem colony. It's always important to vote!
- Attacked, Saved, Unleashed: Liberate the other Prisms.
- Captain Universe: Hit at least 6 enemies with one Shield Throw.
- Cookie Cat Recall: Complete any Chapter 3 battle stage without using any items.
- Keys are the Key, You See: Unlock every Light Barrier in the Palace of Light.
- Players are able to change the outfits of playable characters.
- For an unknown reason, Bismuth's voice is provided by Miriam Hyman instead of her usual voice actress, Uzo Aduba.
- The game has some meta-awareness:
- One of Steven's lines when entering a level is: "You know, for Prisms saving adventures, third time's the charm", a reference that this game is the third one in the "Light Series".
- If you select Pearl from the menu, one of her quotes is "What's this about a bird mom?", a reference to the popular nickname given by the fandom.
- Pearl also says "Steven, can you explain it to me again. What is a 'meme'?", might being a reference to Momocon 2017 where people taught Deedee Magno-Hall about memes.
- One of the items used by Garnet is pastel blue-and-red colored Cotton Candy Gauntlets, a reference to her fan nickname "Cotton Candy Garnet" (her form when Ruby and Sapphire first fused).
- Another item that references this is the Cotton Candy Keytar.
- Some of Lapis' lines reference her being a DLC character that never released for Save the Light:
- "Hey guys, sorry I'm late."
- "Looking forward to helping out this time."
- "Yep, I'm here this time."
- "Better late than never."
- When using her "Focus" ability, Lapis says "You wouldn't like me when I'm mad.", a reference to the Incredible Hulk.
- One of Lapis' menu lines is "I fight for my friends.", which may be a reference to a popular quote spoken by Ike in the Super Smash Bros. series.
- Sometimes when opening a chest, Steven sings a tune that references the chest opening and item obtained sound effect in the Legend of Zelda series.
- The "F-Capacitor" is possibly a reference to the flux capacitor from the Back to the Future franchise.
- The game is set between "Change Your Mind" and Steven Universe: The Movie as Steven is 15 years old.
- The app's home screen shows the Beach House already updated to its layout seen in the movie.
- When facing the Crystal Gems' Light Construct copies Lapis recalls the events of "Ocean Gem".
- Some of Garnet's lines reference past songs:
- Gems are still having trouble adapting to Era 3.