Steven and Connie are helping Greg organize his old albums. When he turns one on, Steven and Connie starts dancing, resulting in them fusing into Stevonnie. Greg gets surprised and decides to tell them about the time he learned about Gem fusion. He puts in an old VCR which shows him singing a duet with Rose Quartz. Amethyst plays the drums and Garnet plays the keytar, but Pearl isn't there. She is later shown behind the stage looking jealous, until she starts smiling. Greg and Rose continue singing until Pearl suddenly appears, whispering something in Rose's ear. They start dancing and fuse into Rainbow Quartz. They dance for a bit and unfuse. Pearl drops the mic, resulting in the song ending. Rose tells Greg that Pearl told her to fuse so his video featured something extra. Rose says she has something to do and leaves, but promises she'll see him later. Pearl starts telling Greg that he is just a phase and that Rose only likes him because he is a human. She tells him that he isn't a Gem, so he can't fuse, and since fusion is the ultimate connection between gems, she implies that they will never be more than friends. Greg asks how she knows humans can't fuse, and when she can't repy, he vows to fuse with Rose. We are later shown Greg trying to dance like Pearl did, with Garnet and Amethyst interrupting. He asks them for help, and Garnet tells him he has to dance his own dance, not like Pearl. We are then shown Greg waiting for Rose, noticeably nervous. When she arrives, they start dancing. When Greg pushes a buttons, the whole floor lights up. They continue dancing until Greg steps up to her height and kisses her. He then exclaims that they didn't fuse and Rose starts laughing, telling him he's a human. He replies that that's the problem, he's a human. He tells her he's ejoyed the past few months, but he's worried about the future. He then asks if she respects her, but she just laughs it off, telling him he's hilarious. Greg gets angry and asks her to talk to him like a real person. She then tells him SHE'S not a real person. She is noticably flustered and is confused. She asks him if this is how it works. He starts laughing and crying, saying that she really is an alien. Rose then asks why he's laughing, and then why he's crying. He replies with that he is wondering if this is going to work, and that they're really, really, different. He says he just want to talk. Then they start conversing about humans and their feelings. We're shown that Pearl, Garnet and Amethyst are hiding and looking at them. Greg asks Rose if she's ever been in love, and she replies that she dosen't know. He tells her that it feels like torture and wonders why she can't feel it. She asks if what they're doing feels like torture, and he tells her yes. She apologizes profusely, and they come to the agreement that they're both confused and that they share that feeling. Then they continue dancing, much to the dismay of Pearl. She asks Garnet and Amethyst why they're still dancing, since the fusion isn't working. Garnet tells her that it is and Amethyst says it's her favorite. Pearl says she think Greg's Rose's favorite too, and that ends the flashback. Connie asks Greg if they were ever able to fuse, and he says no, but that it was more important to talk to eachother. He then says humans and Gems interacting is still new, and that they have to work with it. He also tells Connie that if she needs another human to talk to, he's there. They proceed to high five while saying "Human beings". Steven clutches his gem saying the same thing.
- Pearl (flashback)
- Amethyst (flashback)
- Garnet (flashback)
- Rose Quartz (flashback)
- Rainbow Quartz (debut, flashback)
- This episode marks the first time that Greg sees Stevonnie.
- The episode was released early on Amazon and iTunes in a bundle with Keeping It Together.
- This is the fourth episode to air in the second StevenBomb.
- This episode will mark the second time Greg tells a story in a flashback.
- This is the second episode where Connie and Steven fused into Stevonnie, the first being "Alone Together".
- This is the first time we have seen Rose Quartz fused.
- This is the third time we have seen Pearl fused, the first being with Amethyst forming Opal and the second being with Garnet and Amethyst to form Alexandrite.
- This is the first time an actual fusion is shown with a deceased gem.
- Rose left her physical form for Steven.
- The first was in, "Keeping it Together", with the "fusion" of 4 previous Crystal Gems.
- This is the second episode revolving around Greg telling a story about his and Rose Quartz's past, the first being "Story for Steven".
- One of the albums Greg was holding is titled "Q U A D R I N O M E T R Y - THE SECRET OF THE WAVE LIES IN C R E A T I O N".
- It is heard in Greg's van in "Ocean Gem", where he said that it was one of Rose's favorites despite Garnet's reaction.
- This episode reveals that full humans can't fuse with full gems.
- A poster with a picture of K.K. Slider from the Animal Crossing series can be seen when Greg puts the tape in the VCR.
- One of the albums Greg has is by Orange Magic Orchestra, most likely a reference to the Japanese group Yellow Magic Orchestra.
- The T.V. in Greg's van has the label "SUMY" above he controls, referring to SONY Electronics.
- The hand statue that Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl hide behind to watch Greg and Rose dance is the same one that was destroyed by the Centipeetle Mother in "Gem Glow", obviously unmelted due to that event not happening yet.
- In the flashback when Garnet is telling Greg that if he wants to fuse, he can't dance like Pearl, her hair is shown without any lines to define it's shape. Then they suddenly appear, but disappear in the next shot.
- While Greg has his guitar solo and the sound comes out of the speaker next to Pearl, her right pupil is going left to right, instead of up and down.
View the episode's transcript here.