If you ever need to talk to another human being about this, you can always talk to me.
The episode opens with Steven and Connie helping Greg organize his old albums in the back of his van. In the middle of the project, Connie mentions that she has never listened to that kind of music, so Greg puts The Philosophy Majors, Nietzche's Breakdown album on. While listening to the song, Steven and Connie start dancing, resulting in them fusing into Stevonnie. They promptly unfuse, seeing Greg's shock. Greg is ecstatic to learn they can fuse, so Steven and Connie become suspicious. Greg then launches into a story about his experience with fusion.
After the two sit down in the van, he puts in an old VCR which shows him singing a duet with Rose Quartz. Amethyst plays the drums and Garnet plays the keytar, but Pearl, instead of playing, is behind the stage, apparently jealous of Greg. Greg and Rose continue singing until Pearl suddenly walks up and whispers something in Rose's ear. They start dancing and fuse into Rainbow Quartz, who dances for a bit and unfuses. Pearl then drops the mic, resulting in the song ending. Rose tells an amazed Greg that Pearl told her to fuse so his video featured a little something extra. She then says she has something to do and leaves, but promises she'll see him later.
After Rose leaves, Pearl tells Greg that he is just a phase and that Rose only likes him because he is a human. When Greg says that he's more than that, she explains that because he isn't a Gem, he can't fuse, and since fusion is the ultimate connection between gems, they will never be able to be truly close. Greg asks how she knows humans can't fuse, and when she can't reply, he vows to fuse with Rose.
Greg practices dancing like Pearl did, using the video he took, but Garnet and Amethyst interrupt. He asks them for help. Garnet explains to him that, in order to really fuse, he would have to have a gem at the center of his being, a body made of light, and a partner he's willing to trust with that light. When Greg says sadly that Pearl was right, and he'll never be a gem because he can't fuse, Garnet throws a stick into the ocean to force Amethyst to give them some privacy. She tells him that she thinks he can do it, but he has to dance his own dance, not like Pearl.
Greg waits for Rose by his van, noticeably nervous. When she arrives, they start dancing. They continue dancing until Greg steps up to her height using various boxes and kisses her. He then exclaims dejectedly that they didn't fuse and Rose starts laughing, telling him that he can't fuse because he's human. He replies that that's the problem, and he's enjoyed the past few months, but he's worried about the future. He then asks if she respects him, which she laughs off. Greg gets angry and asks her to talk to him like a real person. She grows silent and says she's not a real person, and that she thought he understood that. He starts laughing and crying then, the fact that she really is an alien finally hitting him.
Rose then asks why he's laughing, and then why he's crying, to which he replies that he's wondering how this is going to work, and that they're really, really, different. Rose asks what they should do, and Greg says he just wants to talk. They converse about humans and their feelings. Greg asks Rose if she's ever loved other humans, to which she says yes. He then asks if she's ever been in love, and she replies that she doesn't know. He tells her that love feels like torture. When she asks if what they're doing feels like torture, he tells her yes, and she apologizes. Greg says she shouldn't apologize, which confuses Rose. She laughs and says that at least they have one thing in common: they're both confused.
They continue dancing, much to the dismay of Pearl, who's hiding along with Garnet and Amethyst behind a large, hand-shaped sculpture, spying on Rose and Greg. She asks Garnet and Amethyst why they're still dancing, since the fusion isn't working, but Garnet tells her that it is. Amethyst says that Greg is her favorite one so far. Pearl says sadly that she thinks Greg is Rose's favorite too, which ends the flashback.
Back in the van, Connie asks Greg if they were ever able to fuse, and he says no, but that it was more important that they talk to each other. He then says interaction between humans and gems is still new, and that Steven and Connie will have to work with it. He also tells Connie that if she needs another human to talk to, he's there. They high five while saying "Human beings", as Steven clutches his gem and whispers the same thing.
- Stevonnie (non-speaking cameo)
- Pearl (flashback, on video)
- Garnet (flashback, on video)
- Rose Quartz (flashback, on video)
- Rainbow Quartz (debut, flashback, on video)
- Amethyst (flashback, on video)
- This is the second episode where Connie and Steven fused into Stevonnie, the first being "Alone Together".
- This episode also marks the first time that Greg sees Stevonnie.
- Connie reveals that her parents don't know about Stevonnie.
- It should be noted that Connie was wearing the same outfit as in Stevonnie's debut. This may have been so Stevonnie didn't have to be redrawn with new clothing.
- The episode was released early on Amazon and iTunes in a bundle with "Keeping It Together ."
- It's revealed that Greg still kept his stage equipment, as he had the light panel even after he broke up his partnership with Marty.
- This is the fourth episode to air in the second StevenBomb.
- This is the first time we have seen Rose Quartz fuse.
- After the episode aired, Matt Burnett confirmed via his twitter that Pearl's love for Rose was not of the platonic kind, but romantic as evident by her behavior.
- This is the third time we see Rose outside of paintings or holograms.
- This is the first time an actual fusion is shown with a deceased gem.
- This is the second episode revolving around Greg telling a story about his and Rose Quartz's past, the first being "Story for Steven".
- One of the albums Greg was holding is titled "Q U A D R I N O M E T R Y - THE SECRET OF THE WAVE LIES IN C R E A T I O N".
- This episode hints that full humans can't fuse with full gems.
- This is also the first time that a full human has tried to fuse with a full gem.
- It is shown that Pearl was not fond of Greg in the past, evident by her unkind behavior towards him in the episode.
- This is the first time we hear Rose sing.
- She also sings her first duet.
- This is the first time Connie hears a story from Greg.
- It is shown that Amethyst learned to play the drums with Greg.
- This is the second time we have seen Amethyst play the drums, the first being in "Steven and the Stevens."
- While Rose was singing, it is implied by the lyrics she was singing that she saw her relationship with Greg as a game and she enjoyed "playing along".
- It is shown that Greg was not the first human that Rose loved, but possibly the first one she's ever been in love with.
- The episode revealed that Rose Quartz did not initially take humans seriously but rather simply extended the love she shares for all living things to them.
- This is the first singular episode with 3 different fusions, the first being Stevonnie, the second being Garnet (although we did not see her fusion dance), and the third being Rainbow Quartz. The second episode featuring 3 different fusions is Cry For Help.
- A poster with a picture of K.K. Slider from the Animal Crossing series can be seen when Greg puts the tape in the VCR.
- One of the albums Greg owns is an Orange Magic Orchestra album, which is a reference to the Japanese group Yellow Magic Orchestra's album titled Naughty Boys.
- One of Greg's albums entitled The Philosophy Majors- Nietzsche's Breakdown bears similar resemblance to the album cover of No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom.
- The Philosophy Majors may be a reference to The Philosopher Kings.
- The T.V. in Greg's van has the label "SUMY" above the controls, referring to SONY Electronics.
- Rainbow Quartz's last dance step resembles a voguing dip from the vogue dance.
- When Greg calls Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl: Harpo, Groucho, and Chico, he was referencing the Marx Brothers.
- The dance between Rose and Greg features many of the same dance steps, and a similar glowing dance floor, that were seen in the film "Adolescence Of Utena" when Utena and Anthy Dance.
- The hand statue that Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl hide behind to watch Greg and Rose dance is the same one that was destroyed by the Centipeetle Mother in "Gem Glow", obviously unmelted due to that event not yet happening.
- Rose's description of her fusion, "Pretty cool, right?", is the same one used by Stevonnie in "Alone Together" in regards to their own fusion.
- The brown jacket Greg used trying to fuse with Rose was the one he used as a "responsible parent" in "Fusion Cuisine".
- Amethyst and Garnet are playing the same musical instruments they played at the end of Steven and the Stevens.
- Pearl was the only one to not play her signature instrument.
- Rose indirectly mentioned Garnet's future vision when Greg said he was worried about the future.
- In the flashback when Garnet is telling Greg that if he wants to fuse, he can't dance like Pearl, her hair is shown without any lines to define its shape. Then they suddenly appear, but disappear in the next shot.
- When Rose and Pearl formed Rainbow Quartz, Rose was holding a microphone at the beginning of the dance. It disappears while they dance and while they are fused. When they unfused, Pearl was holding it.
- Rose's size was larger after Rainbow Quartz unfused than before Rose and Pearl fused.
- When Garnet was about to throw the stick for Amethyst to catch, The television behind Amethyst is off, and in the next scene it turns back on.
- Connie's strap on her dress disappears after Stevonnie un-fuses. This also happens in Alone Together
- When Rose spins Pearl, her right leg was raised. But, after that, her left leg is raised without her right going down.
- When Pearl is talking to Greg that he is a human and can't fuse her legs are bigger than normal.
- When Greg asks Rose if she has ever been in love with a human, Greg is shown to be barefoot. However, he was wearing sandals both before and after that.
- When Greg tells Pearl that he will try fusing with Rose; they're in a background where there is no stairs and there's only a wall. However, when Greg drops his mic, where Amethyst is; there is a different background.
- When Greg stands on the various boxes to kiss Rose, his left sleeve is missing.
- When Amethyst tells Greg that a fusion dance isn't about his head, Garnet and Amethyst are standing on Greg's mat but in the next shot with their feet shown, they're standing on the sand. There is also no stick on the sand shown.
- The stick that Garnet throws while telling Amethyst to give Greg and her some privacy, wasn't there until she looked at the ground. Amethyst is also standing on the sand before she kicks some sand to get the stick.
- When Pearl and Rose were fusing, their gems didn't glow. This also happened in Jail Break when Ruby and Sapphire fused into Garnet.
- Before Greg tells the story Connie does not have her glasses after the story her glasses are hanging from her dress.
- Amethyst's drumming animation during "What Can I Do" doesn't match the drumming in the song.
View the episode's transcript here.